Batgirl Movie Canceled

Latina lead, Middle Eastern directors, Asian trans woman as Barbara’s BFF.

10 Likes

Not yet. Will look for it.

1 Like

Vey solid point here.

:pleading_face:

4 Likes

Yeah, showbiz attorneys say a lot of things. Shaky track record on their accuracy tho. :smiley:

3 Likes

By the way, I haven’t said it yet in this thread, so I suppose I should: this whole thing is absolutely shameful. Of course the “new strategy” is to dump the way of the future (streaming services) and to go back to the past (suppressing female and minority representation in film).

I watched it as it first aired in the early 1990s. I’m well aware of the show, and I’m also well aware that I strongly disliked much of the DCAU that followed.

6 Likes

Thank you!

BG DCSHG

3 Likes

That came from New York Post of all places breaking it. They wrote a hateful article claiming it was cancelled due it being “unwatchable”. As more came it out became clear it was cancelled as a write down. I mean I doubt it was a 5 star classic or they wouldn’t have taken the write down. But yeah it is EXTREMELY unlikely this was some worst movie ever unwatchable pile of garbage that Zaslav looked at and demanded the humilation never see the light of day.

Thing is the “Get woke go broke” and “The D SHE Extended Univese” haters latched onto that claim as validation and like the claim “CW shows are humiliating failures and that is why they are cancelled, get work go broke” is not even close to the real story, they heard what they wanted to.

5 Likes

Same, but you have an axe to grind, you gotta trash a true legend. Talk about a toxic fanbase.

Nah, it’s called the sunk cost fallacy, chasing good money after bad. The fact it was already downgraded down to direct to video is bad sign combined with WB poor track record makes most likely it was trash.

it is above

@DC89 go to where this comes from for Campea’s take

What was wrong with what followed?

3 Likes

The movie was not trash. Saying it was is insulting to everyone who worked on it.

The only reason the movie was canned was because of the ignorance and greed of Zaslav and the bean counters at Discovery!

Same goes for Scoob: Holiday Haunt and other cancled projects!

9 Likes

Thanks for the heads up. :smiley: :+1:

2 Likes

Yeah, this sucks alright.

3 Likes

What is the difference between criticizing the people that made Batgirl and criticizing Bruce Timm?

4 Likes

I’ve discussed this matter in the past. I don’t want to derail the thread, so you can just read my comments here and here and here.

I’ll try not to assume the worst in this case (namely, Bruce Timm’s race/ethnicity compared to that of the makers of Batgirl). Perhaps they’re just not a fan of the film Birds of Prey, which shares a screenwriter with Batgirl. Or maybe they’re in denial about the greatness of Michael Keaton’s Batman. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I find this incredibly disappointing. Was really looking forward to seeing this one, as Batgirl is one of my favorite members of the Bat Family. Leslie Grace looked like an awesome Barbara Gordon and I think her costume was really, really sick. Throw in MIchael Keaton’s Batman and I think you’ve got one hell of a movie.

Hopefully they change their mind later on and decide to just complete what’s left to do and release it, at least on HBO Max. But I feel like it won’t happen.

8 Likes

The only way I see that happening is if Discovery is trying to stir up interest around Batgirl and has no actual intention of treating it as a tax write-off. That sort of cynical studio tactic is not unheard of, but it’s a long shot. Best not to bet on it.

5 Likes

I hope we dont lose Doom Patrol and Titans :flushed:

4 Likes

Agreed.

5 Likes

Based on the links the art style and rushed origins is your main problem.

4 Likes