ASK... THE QUESTION! Column Submission Thread

Speaking of Young Justice, the last time I saw a version of the sorcerous villain Wotan, was in that animated series. Where might the azure one to be found these days, within the pages of the DCU?

3 Likes

Has Py’lothia (Or their race, the Cepniac’n) appeared in anything else besides Mister Terrific #5?

4 Likes

Nope!

5 Likes

Hey, HCQ, is it safe to assume that H’El’s name is pronounced the same as H-E-double-hockey-sticks? I had always assumed so, but then I saw the Golden Globes and found out Louis D’Esposito’s name is pronounced DEE-ESS-puh-ZEE-to, so maybe it’s AECH-EL?

2 Likes

Since the character has never appeared outside of written material, you’d have to ask one of the creators. Luckily, someone did! In this 2013 interview with Scott Lobdell, Lobdell pronounces the name “Hell.” No overthinking necessary here.

6 Likes

Can Animal Man, Vixen, and the like use powers of extinct animals?

4 Likes

The nature of Vixen’s powers fluctuate between appearances due to their mystical origins. Sometimes she can, sometimes she can’t. It’s all up to the whims of her patron Anansi. As for Animal Man, his abilities depend on proximity to animals within his immediate vicinity, so not unless there’s a living one nearby.

8 Likes

Got it, Animal Man needs to be on Dinosaur Island or something.

5 Likes

Batman (or rather Bruce Wayne), has received training and knowledge, from many different “teachers,” in different countries, over several years. Most, before he ever adopted his caped crime fighter identity. One reason, my money would always be on the Bat, in any fight between him and Captain America. For all of Cap’s skills and abilities, he simply never had time to receive the training that Bruce did, before going into action against the Nazis. Then, getting frozen, being thawed, and resuming his career as Cap decades later. But, I digress.

My question is this. Has anybody ever tried to create a timeline for when Bruce first left Gotham, to when he returned years later, a very changed man? For everyone he met and trained with, and the time he spent with them. The training he undergoes with those in the states (Alfred, Ted Grant, Zatara, etc.) is a little harder to pin down, I imagine. So let’s stick with his established time abroad, as a driven young man, before there was a Batman! Or, does DC prefer to keep all of that under wraps and “fluid.” Never knowing when a new (and previously unknown) professional from the past, may be needed for a story. Hey, did I just answer my own question? :slightly_smiling_face:

Stay safe, be well.

2 Likes

You sure did! But you may want to check out a recent series which covers this period, Batman: The Knight.

4 Likes

Is Superman able to get scars? If so, does he have any and how did he get them?

6 Likes

Hello, hope you are doing well.

What batman villains got their own comics (series or one shots) between 1940-1990?

3 Likes

I assume He has plenty of emotional scars. Death seems to have hit him pretty hard.

2 Likes

The recently announced death of Comic historian and writer Lou Mougin has spurred me on to become reacquainted with some of his work. Particularly his index of Golden Age and Silver Age DC characters on his DarkMark website. Reading through his Amethyst file I was reminded of the Emissaries of Varn. That caused me to wonder; were we ever told who or what Varn was?

2 Likes

Not for any significant amount of time. In addition to his invulnerability, Superman has demonstrated accelerated healing when exposed to damage which gets through his typical defenses once he’s back up to full strength.

Not a whole lot, but there are a few! You’ve got:

• The Joker (1975) – Originally ran for 9 issues. An unpublished 10th was released in 2019.
  • Man-Bat (1976) – Canceled after just 2 issues.
  • Catwoman (1989) – 4 issue miniseries, and a precursor to her eventual 90s ongoing.

There’s also the 1988 “Saga of Ra’s al Ghul” miniseries, but I wouldn’t count that, as it’s just a series of reprints from Batman and Detective Comics featuring his early appearances.

I’m deeply sorry for the passing of Lou Mougin, a true great in the field of comics history. I say to his credit that if there’s nothing in his file about Varn, to paraphrase Jocasta Nu, that’s because it doesn’t exist. The nature of Varn remains a mystery.

6 Likes

Remembered the Killing Joke the other day

2 Likes

I wasn’t totally sure if I should count that, since it’s about Batman and Joker. Both their names are in the title. But if you want to, I wouldn’t protest personally.

4 Likes

How many kidneys do Martians have?

3 Likes

Because Martians are shapeshifters, that’s a meaningless question. They can have as many of any organs as they want.

4 Likes

That explains how he eats all those Chocos. He just gives himself infinite stomachs.

3 Likes