ASK... THE QUESTION! Column Submission Thread

As tempting as it is to say “Key-mo” as the word is used in the context of “chemotherapy,” every adaptation of the character to date which uses the name aloud- Batman: The Brave and the Bold, the DC Nation Metal Men shorts, and Batman Unlimited: Mechs vs. Mutants- pronounces it “Khem-mo.”

7 Likes

Your insightful response to my query about DCU characters in the world of prose fiction, prompts another. You spoke of adaptations in the novels and audio books. That in turn got me to wondering about television. How many comic book adventures have likewise been adapted for live action shows? The CRISIS crossovers on the CW of course. But how about Adventures of Superman and the Adam West Batman series? I think I remember a few.

Happy New Year, and welcome to the future world of 2023!

2 Likes

Considering how long the Arrowverse shows alone have gone, the answer to “how many” is “too many to list.” Most live action DC stories, especially in the modern era, have at least some loose basis in comic book storylines!

6 Likes

im loving the new pfp HCQ!!!

5 Likes

Thanks! Thought it was time for a change.

5 Likes

I recognize that quote Justice Lords Superman. What have you done with Charlie?

3 Likes

Then let me hit you with something easier, sir. Has the Lazarus Pit ever been used on something that wasn’t human? If so, to what effect?

3 Likes

Well, we may get some answers to that in this month’s Lazarus Planet event! More than that, I can’t say.

5 Likes

New column came up 2 days ago.

7 Likes

Just read the new Dec article sir (thanks for the heads up @MatthewHecht). Appreciate the extended coverage given to my Spectre query. Your comments on angels given very specific responsibilities by their Lord and master, is spot on. And certainly applies to the Spirit of Vengeance. I also loved your preemptive “strike” on any future question about heavenly protection, and why such a mass of multi powered talent seems to be congregated on the Earth, as nowhere else. Well done sir, Well done!

6 Likes

Well hello there again HCQ. :wave: :sunglasses:

Stopping by the office once again. :clark_hv_4:

Finished reading the new Ask… The Question Article. :ask_the_question:

It did bring one question to mind… :thinking:

How are you celebrating having written 100 Ask the Question articles?

Hope it’s a great weekend for you and here’s to many more articles in the future! :superman_hv_3:

4 Likes

By working on the 101st! Mystery never sleeps.

11 Likes

Cool, I made it into the new column! Thank you so much, Hub.

6 Likes

What’s up with Nirvana in DC Comics… not the band​:joy::dizzy_face:

4 Likes

Hi i don’t know if it’s been asked, but is Batman and the Justice League #4 manga going to be released in english? I’m enjoying it but book 4 ends the series and it’s seems to be in every language but english…it’s not even available to read on infinite.

4 Likes

I was watching some animated Superman episodes yesterday. Enjoyable, as always. And catching my attention (as always), was Lex’s hot, kicka#@ bodyguard Mercy Graves! Has anybody done a real background story on her? Yeah, I’ve gotten bits and pieces from the animated version (sounding very much like Jason Todd’s revised origin), but that’s all I remember. It seems like someone must have given us more by this time, and I just missed it. Yes, no?

I know Harley Quinn sucked all the air outta’ the room, after her first appearance back in '92. But many forget, that her less high profile counterpart in Metropolis, was also an animated series original. Her first screen time debut being in '96. With the two even throwing down in the crossover 3 parter titled “World’s Finest” in the '97 season of Superman: the animated series. So, what’s the scoop on Ms. Graves, sir?

Stay safe, be well.

4 Likes

Could you list every member of the Bat family and the exact issue they became their own heroes? If not no big deal, I realize thats a crazy request.

3 Likes

I could, but you’d have to define your parameters for “Bat-Family” and “their own heroes.”

5 Likes

Like Harley, Mercy Graves made her comics Universe debut during the 2000 No Man’s Land event. Along with an original counterpart named Hope, Mercy was an incredibly strong and martially skilled bodyguard for Luthor as well as chauffeur. In Cry for Justice, we learn Mercy’s real origin, suggested only obliquely in the interim years: that she and Hope were actually exiled Amazons. How she came to be in Luthor’s employ remains unanswered, or if that origin still applies post-New 52.

The Young Justice animated series provides an alternate background for Mercy: she’s actually a lifelike robot designed by LexCorp to suit Luthor’s needs.

8 Likes

It’s a self-contained oneshot, so you can read it pretty much anywhere, but if you’re binging Mike Carey’s Lucifer anyway fit it in between issues 20 and 21.

6 Likes