ASK... THE QUESTION! Column Submission Thread

Why is Batwoman so pale?

3 Likes

Her sister is too! Some people are just born like that.

4 Likes

This isn’t really a trivia question. I’m wondering about how creator-owned characters and DC characters are made, corporately speaking.

For example, I loved the Black Hammer and Justice League crossover. If Jeff Lemire made any new characters for the Black Hammer side of things, and I can’t remember if any new concepts were introduced, would they technically be DC’s property?

2 Likes

Congratulations on the 100th issue of Ask the Question, and speaking of questions, LL people became a big part of the Superman Mythos once upon a time, when was it first referenced in the Comics?

4 Likes

I second that! Congratulations on the 100th issue! This is one of the few threads I read on a regular basis so i enjoy all the ‘Ask the Question’ stuff!

5 Likes

Congratulations on the 100th issue! :partying_face: :0_the_question: Hopefully we’ll see another 100 and more.

5 Likes

Congratulations on 100 ASK…THE QUESTION columns, HCQ! :100: :champagne:

4 Likes

Hello @HubCityQuestion :0_the_question_jlu: ,
It’s your friendly neighborhood Reaganfan78! Congratulation on your 100 article of Ask The Question, that’s really awesome accomplishment.
I have a question for you, ready?
Ok next Question, that one didn’t count.:grin:
Today I was reading Aquaman 75 anniversary celebration comics, one story, before Mera, there was Aquagirl who was also blonde. Whatever happened to her? Was she ever seen again as Aquagirl or was she turn to Mera? Thankyou for your time.:grinning:

5 Likes

Ya know, I can remember a time, when that kind of language would simply not have been tolerated in a DC comic story. Let alone be allowed to see print. You know, that whole line of blasphemy against the Lord would get someone killed in some parts of the world. If this kind of thing keeps up (or seeps into the halls of Congress) we just might see a resurrection of the Comics Code again. Hey, I’m just sayin

6 Likes

Comics are weird.

4 Likes

Comics are what the market place allows them to be. For better or worse.

5 Likes

I read so much Eastman and Laird I barely notice.

5 Likes

Let’s hope that holds true for the latest Congress as well. Unless there’s another Dr. Wertham out there somewhere. The pendulum has swung about as far as it can in the area of “free speech.” Eventually, it will swing back. How far, is anybody’s guess.

2 Likes

Has Dick Grayson ever donned the Robin Uniform, after becoming NightWing, to help out Batman or anyone else? @HubCityQuestion

@HubCityQuestion has there ever been talks of a series like a 6 issue/ where we have Dick Grayson having never become NightWing, and stayed Robin. With the New DCU kicking off, seems like there should be a world where that is a possibility.

2 Likes

These are usually negotiated on a case-by-case basis between creators. But historically, when concepts introduced in crossovers between companies occur, ownership of those concepts is shared. They typically don’t show up again unless both parties are collaborating. Take, for instance, Access, a character introduced in the 1990s Marvel vs. DC crossover with the ability to travel between both universes. Access appeared in Marvel and DC comics for a short time after that crossover, but only with the express collaboration of both companies. If a new concept was introduced in Black Hammer/Justice League, it would stand to reason due to the complex ownership issues you suspect here that it would only show up again in any potential future Black Hammer/Justice League crossovers.

Thanks, RexRebel! The first time the proliferation of LLs in Superman’s life is overtly acknowledged in the comics is in 1962’s Superman #157. In “Superman’s Day of Doom!” written by Jerry Siegel himself, a prediction machine from a distant galaxy informs Superman that his life will be saved that day by someone named “LL” – which leads him to consider for the first time just how many people in his life bear those initials. (It turns out not to be Lana Lang, or Lois Lane, or Lori Lemaris, or Lightning Lad, or Linda Lee, or even Lex Luthor, but a Little League baseball player.)

Thanks, RF78! I appreciate you as a long-time reader and supporter, and I’m always glad to answer your questions when I can. You’re referring to Lisa Morel, whose first and only appearance in 1959’s Adventure Comics #266 predates Mera’s debut by 4 years, and even the first Aqualad by 3 issues. As we discover in the story, Lisa was an Atlantean who was exiled to the surface world due to the unreliability of her evolutionary adaptations, and was raised by a marine biologist who hid her origins from her. When Lisa accidentally discovers her own partial Atlantean powers, she attempts to join Aquaman in maritime crime fighting as the first Aquagirl, but is forced into retirement when she learns it’s just a matter of time before her powers fade away completely. Although Lisa Morel hasn’t returned since that story, it does introduce an element to Aquaman lore which has remained important to this day – the marker of purple eyes, like Lisa’s, being the cause for ostracization and exile from Atlantean society.

Since becoming Nightwing, Dick’s adopted a number of other identities from Agent 37 to Batman himself, but he’s never gone back to being Robin. However, the world where Dick never became Nightwing and stayed Robin is very real. Such is the case with the Pre-Crisis Earth Two, where Dick remains Robin into his adulthood (apart from a brief interlude in the role of Batman). After Batman’s retirement, Robin becomes the senior member of the dynamic duo, mentoring Huntress, Bruce’s daughter Helena Wayne.

9 Likes

Thank you so much!

3 Likes

Thankyou @HubCityQuestion. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Thanks @HubCityQuestion

4 Likes

In their first meeting, Zatanna was responsible for the Justice League rejecting Raven’s plea for help in New Teen Titans #4, vol. 1, back in 1981, With all the reboots, rebirths and whatnot since then, what is their relationship like today, in the new DCU?

3 Likes

Hard to say! They don’t usually hang out in the same circles. There’s no overt animosity between them, Raven having proven herself as a hero many times over, but apart from your typical “all-hands” situation they’re not known to team up very often within continuity. That said, Raven has been a member of the Night Force along with Zatanna’s younger cousin, Zachary Zatara, as recently as 2019. Last year, one of the finalists for DC’s Round Robin competition, Suicide Squad Dark, allegedly would have further developed Zatanna’s interpersonal dynamics with Raven, but the pitch lost out to Superboy: Man of Tomorrow.

5 Likes