ASK... THE QUESTION! Column Submission Thread

Oh, a few times! One strange case is The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet. One of the earliest sitcoms, Ozzie and Harriet actually began as a radio show in 1933, and transitioned to television in 1952. But in between, an Ozzie and Harriet comic was published by DC for 5 issues, from 1949-1950.

In 1956, DC licensed a comic based on TV’s most popular sitcom at the time, The Honeymooners, titled Jackie Gleason and The Honeymooners. It ran for 12 issues.

In 1957, DC licensed Sgt. Bilko, based on a popular recurring army skit from The Phil Silvers Show. It ran for 18 issues.

In 1960, DC licensed the teen romance sitcom, The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis. It ran for 26 issues.

DC’s last licensed “sitcomic” (a word I made up just now) was Welcome Back Kotter, published from 1976-1978. It ran for 10 issues.

Also of note are long-running titles like A Date with Judy, which was based on a comedy radio program and ran for 79 issues from 1947-1960; The Adventures of Bob Hope, based on the comedy and performances of its star which ran for 107 issues from 1950-1968; and The Adventures of Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis (later just The Adventures of Jerry Lewis), similarly premised to Bob Hope and ran for 124 issues from 1952-1971.

3 Likes

Now I want to read Jackie Gleason Honeymooners comic! :grinning: I’m a fan of the show!

Ralph: Want to go to the moon Alice? Bang, Zoom!

Ed: Hey Ralphie boy!

Did you know there was a Honeymooners reference in Batman The Animated Series?

In the episode where Harley help Batman find the Joker and the Giant bomb,
The episode end with The Joker quoting a line where Ralph would say at the end of some episodes to Alice, “Baby you’re the greatest.” :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Good catch there, @Reaganfan78 Allow me to add another bit of DC/Sitcomic (you might want to copyright that, Q) history here, if I may. Not only did Jerry Lewis have the longest running celebrity comic of it’s type, back then, he also interacted in the world of Batman, as well. Appearing as the first celebrity cameo on the live action Batman tv series, at the end of season one. These began appearing as “intentional” comedy relief whenever the Dynamic Duo were doing another Bat-climb “up” the side of a building.

Now, here’s the kicker. As this occurred while DC was still publishing Jerry’s comic, the costumed crime fighters returned the favor, by visiting him (in issue #97), and saving JL from the Joker! A comic I still have, by the way. How’s that for trivia, gang?

Stay safe, be well all.

3 Likes

I have an odd one for you. I’ve noticed recently that it seems like being hit by one of Darkseid’s unavoidable “lethal” Omega beams is the surest sign that a hero has survived. In fact, there was a time when I had a fan theory that his Omega beam actually couldn’t kill people, and he was just propagandizing about it. I only finally recently came across a comic that seemed to disprove that. I know he’s killed people with them in extended universe adaptations, but those aren’t bound by canon the same way comics are. So I’m curious… who all has Darksed killed for sure with his Omega beams in the comics?

3 Likes

In watching the CW series finale of Black Lightning (it will be missed), I started reflecting on the title character. He’s come a long way (culminating in a tv series), since Tony Isabella and Trevor Von Eeden introduced him in the later part of the 20th Century. Not wanting to trust to memory alone, I pulled up his backstory on-line. And that’s when something hit me.

Jefferson Pierce and Michael Holt (Mr. Terrific), are both said to be Olympic Decathlon winners. Before interacting as super-heroes, had the two ever met, trained or competed together in the world of amateur athletics? Seems like they would have, I’m thinking. Your thoughts on that Q.

1 Like

Legitimate question, not trying to stump you: Who are the most prolific Jewish DC characters?

1 Like

I wrote an article on this!

https://www.dcuniverseinfinite.com/news/20-greatest-jewish-super-heroes-dc-universe/

The answer depends on how you define “prolific,” or “Jewish,” but right up there would be Harley Quinn, Batman, and Hal Jordan.

2 Likes

That’s a good thought, but Black Lightning is usually depicted as being significantly older than Michael Holt by the time the second Mister Terrific made his first appearance, with Jefferson fathering an adult and a teenage daughter. We can assume, therefore, that Jefferson’s Olympic days were long over by the time Holt started competing.

5 Likes

I’ll give you that one. But, it still doesn’t negate their having known each other in earlier times. Or that Jeff might’ve even coached or mentored an aspiring Olympic hopeful.

2 Likes

There may be a story to be told there. But as you’ll see in (the phenomenal, highly recommended) The Other History of the DC Universe #1, Jefferson left his athletic career behind him when he began pursuing a role in education.

3 Likes

As consolation, here’s a fun fact you may not have known: according to Priest’s run on Steel, John Henry Irons and Guy Gardner used to run track together at the same high school!

7 Likes

That I knew. But always fun to look back at Gardner’s pre-Lantern days. And, as far as I know, he’s the only DC character connected to the Special Olympics. Or has that fact changed?

3 Likes

I believe that’s still the case!

3 Likes

Thank you! In terms of Batman, I wish it was made more explicit.

2 Likes

The most visibly Jewish DC character these days would have to be Batwoman, or Harley Quinn, but she rarely discusses her Jewish identity.

2 Likes

Which is a shame, and it makes me dread the Christmas issues.

1 Like

Why can’t kryptonians read minds? Hear me out… They have x-ray vision, and microscopic vision, and the ability to combine different types of vision: In All-Star Superman #10, Superman combined heat vision and microscopic vision to create a microscopic chemical reaction, and in DCeased: Hope at World’s End #15, he used all three to perform surgery. He also used x-ray vision and microscopic vision numerous times to monitor his physical health over the course of All-Star Superman. Why can’t kryptonians use this power to combine x-ray with microscopic vision and see thoughts? Scientists are still working on the mystery of memory, but at the least, they should be able to see the thoughts currently running through someone’s head at any given time. I understand this not working for kryptonians like Zod and his goons, since they grew up without the power of a yellow sun, but Clark has lived his whole life on Earth. Shouldn’t that be a skill as natural as understanding non-verbal communication?

1 Like

Being able to see the electrical neurons fire in a person’s brain is one thing, but being able to accurately interpret them as specific thoughts is quite another. I’m sure that the Kryptonians we’ve seen just don’t have that knowledge.

1 Like

I figured it was something like that, it’d be cool if a distant-future version, like in eras around DC One Million or DC: Future State, had those abilties. Just a thought.

1 Like

A friend and I have been working on a project heavily involving a certain pair of faceless detectives you may have heard of, and it’s raised a few, /ahem/, questions. Namely: what is the Religion of Crime’s prophecy regarding Kate Kane about, and where did they come from? Everything about them seems vague on the Wikis, but that might just be the wikis :sweat_smile:

(Btw: just read DC Pride and they finally did it! They finally put Alice and Mad Hatter in a room together!)

2 Likes