ASK... THE QUESTION! Column Submission Thread

A friend and I have been working on a project heavily involving a certain pair of faceless detectives you may have heard of, and it’s raised a few, /ahem/, questions. Namely: what is the Religion of Crime’s prophecy regarding Kate Kane about, and where did they come from? Everything about them seems vague on the Wikis, but that might just be the wikis :sweat_smile:

(Btw: just read DC Pride and they finally did it! They finally put Alice and Mad Hatter in a room together!)

2 Likes

I KNOW! FINALLY! IT ONLY TOOK THEM 14 YEARS!

The prophecy is merely that the murder of the twice-named daughter of Kane would bring about a new age for the religion of crime. The fact that she survived their attempt drove a wedge in the cult, with some revering Kate.

As for where they came from, the answer is heavily implied in Montoya’s solo adventures after the end of 52 – the man who claimed to be “Cain” all along, Vandal Savage.

2 Likes

He literally called every girl in his class at Ducard Academy (long story) Alice.

1 Like

But until now, he’s never met ALICE, as in Beth Kane.

1 Like

My point was that it was a long time coming, which you had already mentioned.

2 Likes

Superman 1933

Also take a gander at Superman #45 from 1946 where Jerry Siegel decides to trot out Superman having mind control and shape changing ability in one story.

2 Likes

I don’t think this is really his department, it’s very much a matter of opinion…

Hello @HubCityQuestion,
Today I was watching The Karate kid trilogy and the newer film as well, I was suprise to see DC comic was mention during the end credit as a concent. My question is who’s the real Karate kid in DC and what comic does he appeared in? And who’s his mentor and major Enemy? Is his name also Daniel?:slightly_smiling_face::martial_arts_uniform:

1 Like

The original Karate Kid is Val Armorr, a member of the Legion of Super-Heroes! In the 30th Century, Val was born the son of a Japanese crime boss and an American spy, and was trained to be the greatest martial artist of all time by his master, Sensei Tokiyashi — known to the people as the hero called the White Crane. If anyone, Karate Kid’s greatest enemy is a fellow Legionnaire who was recruited alongside him but would eventually betray the team, Nemesis Kid.

3 Likes

If Lex Luthor hates aliens (especially Kryptonians) so much, why’d he work with Supergirl’s clone?

1 Like

Because while he hates competing with them, what he really craves is control of them. Luthor felt he could control Supergirl.

3 Likes

Awesome thankyou @HubCityQuestion! :grinning:

2 Likes

Is there any chance Val Armorr did the famous Karate kick that Daniel did to defeat his opponent and say the famous lines like, “Wax on, Wax off?” :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Not quite. Val Armorr predated the Karate Kid movies, which is why they had to get permission for naming rights from DC. Other than their names and shared dedication to martial arts, their similarities stop there.

3 Likes

Hey @Reaganfan78, I just came on-line, and saw your post from yesterday. Funny thing, I ran across Karate Kid last night (figuratively speaking). I’ve been working my way through DC’s animated feature films universe, of late. I saw JLA Adventures: Lost in Time, last night. The young martial arts master plays a prominent role in it. And while this version is somewhat different from the source material, it still gives you a good feel for the character. Well worth checking out, if you have access to it.

3 Likes

In reading some of my JLA Archive editions, I remember being very impressed, as a kid, with the reprinted issue #19. Among other things, it showed the JLAers along with their civilian identities all together on the same striking cover. Moreover, because of unique circumstances, it was also the first time they chose to reveal those carefully guarded identities to each other.

Later, at story’s end, they would all voluntarily agree to forget them, for security and privacy reasons. Superman would perform this task, using an element called Amnesium from his Fortress. Whether this was the first and last time it was ever used, I can’t say. Apparently Q, that information is lost to history. Or is it? In any case, it was awfully convenient at the time.

All of which, naturally got me to wondering, if some similar " reveal " might not have happened with the Justice Society? Or, were they just a lot more trusting, back then?

Stay safe, be well.

2 Likes

Hot take: Karate Kid is a better fighter than Shiva or Dragon.

1 Like

@pmedved1515.91083 and @FlashPoint0909
Thanks for that clarification. I always wondered.

1 Like

I’d agree. He’s got a thousand years more techniques to work from. Shiva is just the greatest fighter of the modern age.

2 Likes

Was Shiv created in Stargirl? I can’t seem to find her anywhere else

2 Likes