Ask for my 'Hot Takes' on DC Characters!

Thank you for your time and as for the Hot Take, Kyle Rayner.

4 Likes

This is somewhat of a recurring theme with my Hot Takes (see the other posts).

Kyle Raynor is in dire need of a change in scenery. A new status quo that doesn’t just amount to him being another face in the Green Lanterns’ ranks.

Him joining (and leading?) the Titans was an interesting proposition…until that book got canceled. Of course, he doesn’t have to be part of a non-Lantern team to be interesting, but it’s a good start.

3 Likes

Tim Drake

Simon Baz

4 Likes

Static
Cyborg

4 Likes

Despero

4 Likes

@Clonegeek18

Tim Drake: Argue to your heart’s content about his ‘Drake’ identity in the current Young Justice series, but it gives him an infinitely better-looking costume (and makes way more sense in-context) than his time as Red Robin (YUM!) during the New 52.

Simon Baz: Is there anyone in this thread who still cares about Simon Baz? I’ve never seen another character become such a complete non-entity in the DC Universe, particularly while Jessica Cruz and Jo Mullein (a character created last year) have become etched in the minds of readers and fans.

In keeping with that comparison: Jessica Cruz was essentially given her own team book with Justice League Odyssey. The last time we saw Simon Baz in literally anything was in Dear Justice League, a non-continuity book for middle-grade readers. An extra twist of the knife: he wasn’t given nearly as much page time as other members of that book’s JL roster (and his segment isn’t nearly as fun to read).

@gaitenh.60690

Static: He should have been fully integrated into the DC Universe a long time ago. The fact that he, and other Milestone characters, continue to lie fallow during this inflection point/culture shift in the industry on issues of diversity and inclusion at all levels is a travesty that can’t be properly explained in a Hot Take.

Cyborg: I’m not really bothered by his ‘induction’ into the Justice League. Yes, his history with the Titans isn’t something to be brushed aside, but I’ve read Justice League stories where (IMO) he genuinely contributed fresh character dynamics not seen in other JL tales. And clearly those stories have had an impact on the character in other mediums (see: Teen Titans Go, Justice League Action, DCAMU, etc).

@TheTerribleToyman

Despero: I’m sure there have been interesting stories told with the character (stories about the character, I’m not sure of), but still my first impression of him is: he looks like a way-less-interesting version of Bolphunga.

5 Likes

I’d make Simon a part of a rebooted Darkstars

Then make Tim ether Blue Beetle,Manhunter or Oricle

2 Likes

The future Queen of Tamaran

c4bf3fde37b50edb86f1c91c16bbaab4

3 Likes

I love her as well. The versatility of her character (and her relationship with Blackfire) don’t get explored as often as I’d like.

3 Likes

Agreed again, @BCDC. Love your takes on my fave characters. You rock! :+1: :smiley:

3 Likes

@BCDC I hundred percent agree with what you said about cyborg and static. I honestly could read your hot takes all day lol.

4 Likes

The Titans corner of the DCU is one of my sweet spots, so it’s a good feeling knowing I have some consensus with some of my ramblings about it :grin:

3 Likes

M-me… but I probably am one of very few…

3 Likes

Simon and Jessica was a perfect team imo. They added to eachother. Jessica took a hit as heavy as Simon in my book, when they were separated.

DCSHG is the only reason I care more for Jess than Simon. JLO did nothing for her during the time I still read it.

3 Likes

Zatanna & Huntress (Helena Rosa Bertinelli)

4 Likes

Black Condor

5 Likes

@capo-mage

She is sometimes seen as a Batman character (because of BTAS), but I’m totally sold on her the lynchpin of DC Magic instead of John Constantine. James Tynion IV and Ram V did a lot to convince me of Zatanna’s role and importance in that corner of the DCU.

Huntress is one of the VERY FEW characters (outside of Starfire) that pairs well with Dick Grayson on a romantic level.

@MatthewHecht

I forgot that he was in that one episode of Batman: The Brave and the Bold :laughing:

Yeah, not a very memorable character. But then, that episode was my first exposure to him and I haven’t read any comics with him in a team or solo. Is he in Rob Venditti’s Freedom Fighters series?

4 Likes

He is in the JSA reserves in “Princes of Darkness.” He us useless in it.

5 Likes

Two great rundowns on my 2 favorite characters ty. I’m a big Freedom Fighters fan. He’s in all the Freedom Fighters (Black Condor) I’ve ever read. He’s also in Starman (94’) & Final Crisis, all of Uncle Sam & The Freedom Fighters ,& yes he’s in Vendetti’s Freedom Fighters vol 3.

4 Likes

How about the Mad Hatter?

3 Likes