Are There Any LGBTQ+ Canon Characters You Like/Want To Talk About?

For Pride it would be great if the main page of DCU highlighted some of the queer characters and their issues of first (or important) appearances.

1 Like

Rene Montoya, hands down.

I enjoyed Obsidian’s coming out arc, especially given his status as the son of a Golden Age hero like Alan Scott. His relationship with Kate Spencer’s paralegal (?) was an unexpected and fun moment!

One of the best lesbian relationships in comics happened with Shrinking Violet & Lightning Lass in the 5YL & Retroboot Legion tales.

I will say as a long time and devoted Superman fan, I always took a sense of pride that Maggie Sawyer, considered I believe to be the first gay comic book character in mainstream comics, came from Superman. And for anyone who now associated Maggie in the comics with the Batman family, she was originally and for a long time a Superman supporting cast member. Granted it was years before they were able to say that outright, but it was clear even if the Comics Code wouldn’t let them use that word she was gay even then. Heck, the Superman Animated series even had her girlfriend of the time appear with Maggie in it if I remember. Can’t think of anyone better then Superman to help bring gay characters to DC Comics.