Are There Any LGBTQ+ Canon Characters You Like/Want To Talk About?

Yes i believe Batwoman
Is part of the LGBTQUIAk

1 Like

Hopefully her playing a role in Birds of Prey (Or: The Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) will get Montoya at least a little more panel time.

So far i really like Nia on Supergirl. I’m interested to see her potential as Dreamer…

1 Like

@Csull, Extraño did come back! He helped Midnighter travel to hell to save Apollo in their recent limited series. That series was awesome, btw. Would love to see those two show up in the comics more often.

1 Like

Kate Kane, Batwoman, I believe is head and shoulders above everyone else. I think her character is portrayed very accurately. Most seem forced . I know Iceman is not DC, but that is a situation that seems forced.

4 Likes

Iceman reveal was definitely forced, it made no sense it wasnt organic

1 Like

Mr. Terrific!

I love great LGBTQ+ characters like Deadpool but, maybe I’m wrong, I don’t get it for Mr. Terrific.

Lord fanny from dc vertigo’s the invisibles is everything!

2 Likes

John constantine is bisexual(or he’s supposed to be), and he’s one of my faves…

4 Likes

Batwoman is amazing. I so cannot wait for the Ruby Rose spinoff show. I’m sure it will be a huge hit.

Also, don’t forget this long thread: https://www.dcuniverse.com/community/boards/betaparticipants/lgbt-dc-fans

3 Likes

I’ve been reading some of the more recent Midnighter comics - love him!

1 Like

Midnighter and apollo are one of my favorite supercouples in comix, and when they became parents was so awesome(no spoilers, read the series 2 see their journey)!

1 Like

The Authority series that precedes the more recent midnighter or wildstorm material is what i refer 2, anyone who was about 2 ask…

I feel Coagula should get more attention as she has cool powers, has a likable personality, and is one of the first transgender superheroes to my knowledge. Hopefully she will appear more in the new Doom Patrol show

1 Like

Since there is a plan afoot at DCU to eventually (hopefully) substantially expand the encyclopedia. I thought I would throw out the question to gauge response from the community before proposing the idea formally to AJ’s Office Hours or the Feedback section.

Since we are now getting more LGBTQ+ characters within the canon.
Is it time to start putting gender/gender identity/orientation in characters encyclopedia entries?

As encyclopedias have a tendency to “cement” something as a pure conical source and in an online encyclopedia that gender/gender identity/orientation field should be a searchable parameter. Is this something the community would support, think important, and/or be useful?

1 Like

Batwoman is the ultimate LGBT chaeacter and she represents everyone in those groups well.

I’d like for DC to stop changing straight biologically written characters to LGBT ones, I’d like them to focus on the ones that were written as such already.

I’m excited for Batwoman.

2 Likes

@Gibbyhertz
To be fair the original, Silver Age Batwoman was a straight character & certainly when they did the three women as Batwoman in “Mystery of the Batwoman” at least on of them was straight. So it is only in this third imaging of Batwoman do we get a lesbian version of the character.

This is why I posed the question, it was quite the revelation for me when Mr Terrific was gay. Since I had season previous incarnations of Mr Terrific, including golden age, where he was straight. So depending on where you first pickup the character orientation/gender identity /etc is different.

Personally I’d hate to put all the sociopolitical pressure on Batwoman as THE character that carries that mantle. Far to ease for those who are not supportive of the LBGTQ+ community to focus their attention and boycotting on. (Because we all know, that some degree of protest/boycotting is going to happen around Batwoman CW show. I wish that wasn’t going to be true, but it still will. It’s one thing to have a lead character in a book that is selling, maybe 70k copies a month, vs a tv show that, hopefully will be grabbing 7+ million eyeballs.)

The ray is the man

Truly like Midnighter and Apollo. Midnighter being my personal favorite of the two. Been a fan since Authority but after Garth Ennis run Midnighter rose to the stars for me. Midnighter number 6 might just be the single best issue I ever read in my life.

If you don’t follow AJ Office hours thread. Her is the response to the question.

Applejack 3d ago

"@DeSade-acolyte asks:

“With DC making an effort to be supportive of the LBGTQ+ community. Do you think it’s time for an item regarding gender identity/orientation/etc to be added to a character’s encyclopedia entries, and make that item searchable in the database?”

WHAT A FANTASTIC IDEA. Let’s lean into this a bit. My thinking is the following, at first blush:

1. Making sure all characters are given a LGBTQ+ (or similar) metatag, so the searchability is enhanced.
  2. An entire entry devoted to their orientation could be hard; not to apply, but to scour for justification to discuss this one topic in a devoted subsection. But what about a distinct image, like an emoji or asterisk?
  3. Would it be diminishing to throw it under the “trivia” section?
  4. Maybe it would be more strong to simply weave it into the pre-existing entries.

Thinking! Good stuff. I’ll pass thing along and see what the bandwidth is. With Pride Month coming up it’s a very apt suggestion."

I think the meta-tag would be a great idea. That way it would be easy to search the encyclopedia for who in DC is a member of the LBGTQ+ community.

Any thoughts on DCU highlighting LBGTQ+ character/set of characters during Pride Month?