Are Batman's Actions Justified?

Batman has made a lot of questionable decisions in his pursuit of justice, down to breaking God knows how many laws. So here’s my question: Is there justification for Batman’s actions?

6 Likes

5 Likes

Wanna explain how Batman and Robin riding horses counts as an answer?

Of course, with the police being as incompetent as they are in gotham he has to take the law into his own hands in order to protect his loved ones and his city.

4 Likes

Helping children is all the justification I need.

5 Likes

Touché.

2 Likes

Careful. Robin is very protective of my reputation.

4 Likes

She also needs to learn how to use other gear. Slingshots aren’t too reliable.

2 Likes

Like the batmobile?

4 Likes

Maybe something a little smaller. Maybe a paintball gun with the paint balls being made of something that causes the target to fall asleep.

3 Likes

That is what her wrist rocket launcher is for.

4 Likes

Wait what?

1 Like

When rescuing the Atom and Flash she used the rocket launcher she attached to her wrist.

3 Likes

Well where do you start and end?

4 Likes

Looking at Batman in The Dark Knight, with the final act. I cannot help but think of Professor Mark Neely’s lecture in regards to Lincoln, civil liberties, and the constitution. Keep in mind, I try not to get political here, BUT, TDK is a sorta commentary on the Bush administration with the war on terror, and the Patriot Act. Mark Neely creates a system in looking at similar circumstances, looking more on behavior NOT law. And each gets a grade. Adams - D, Wilson - C, FDR - D, Lincoln - B+

Provocation - Is the internal security proportional to the threat? Or is it all out of proportion to the threat?
Victims - Is the system, once in place, used for other ends than meeting the original threat?
Termination - Once the threat ceases, does the internal security system cease?

I leave it up to ya’ll, but by these standards I think Batman passes.

3 Likes

Of course not–if we take him as a real person. But he’s not a real person. He’s a power fantasy and a pulp hero. The idea that a man can dress up as a bat and take down gangsters is preposterous from the start, so even if his actions were morally justifiable, they’d still be impractical and absurd.

Best just not to think about it too hard. Try doing the Batusi instead.

5 Likes

I think Batman is a noble man that has done a lot of noble things, but in reality he’s not really the type of person to try to replicate.

4 Likes

Can I replicate myself?

3 Likes

Vigilantes like Batman actually exist, but they either work WITH the cops or are in jail right now.

2 Likes

Let’s settle this with a poll!

• His actions are justified.
  • His actions are NOT justified.

0 voters

1 Like