Annoying fans

Us batman fans can get annoying. But eh, batman just has the aura, every time I see him I just get hyped

3 Likes

Sadly, such threats aren’t exclusive to writers. Some fans have sent garish threats to critics of comics, like the woman who criticized, among many other things, Wonder Girl’s costume on the cover of Teen Titans.

2 Likes

Young Justice fans. OMG the show is ok its not great its ok. Maybe I was spoiled by Batman the Animated Series and Superman the Animated series but Young Justice to be me is very meh.

2 Likes

The “death threat people” are just WAY whacked. It is also part of being a public figure/celebrity (as so many writers and artists today). I hope that the threats are reported and criminal investigation done against those that are making them.

As to the idea the fans have “ownership” of the characters. In a certain sense the do, as much as writers, artists, editors do. Especially true of characters that have stood the test of time. This is especially true with the DC trinity. Those characters belong to the culture. Yes DC holds the copyrights, but the are as much, if not more so, custodians and gatekeepers of those characters.

These characters are part of 20th+ century mythology. Do only Greek citizens and/or the government of Greece sociologically “own the rights” of the characters of Greek mythology. Simply because the Greeks “invented and created the mythology of those characters”.

If they do, than DC has some answering to do, just within the confines of Wonder Woman. Or do those mythological characters belong to western culture and arguably the entire world.

If someone does a story where Hercules is a small, weak, timid person, are they really telling a story about Hercules? Or just some totally different story with a character that has the name of Hercules that has no connection to the mythology of Hercules?

What happens when a writer or artist goes to far a field from the conical mythology of a character? Are there going to be “strong opinions” on both sides?

Characters of DC comics are mythology and let’s call that what it really is, religion. You start telling a story of say the 12 apostles, and you make 5 gay and 2 trans, are you going to have some group of people up in arms and another group saying, this is a great take on looking at the dynamics of these 12 characters and another group that say,!I dint care.

You certainly are. Is one group right and the other groups wrong about how valid these characters are? That probably depends on who you ask.

These characters are part of western mythology. Why should we think they are going to be or should be treated differently than other religious/mythological figures?

1 Like

@Desade-acolyte, I was in agreement with you up until you mentioned religion. Fictional characters and stories, no matter how strong of a foothold they have in modern culture, do not, in my opinion, equate to a person’s religion. I personally think it would be disrespectful to a lot of faiths to make that comparison. My faith and my pastime are two separate things, and I like to keep 'em that way. I don’t worship DC characters, and if I did, I’d need to stop and think some things through :joy:. No disrespect to you sir…just my 10 cents.

5 Likes

@moro I agree

2 Likes

I was merely making the connection that what are considered “religious” texts, characters and iconography are the same as “mythologic” texts, characters and iconography.

What some people call mythology others call religious and vice versa.

No offense intended.

2 Likes

And personally I would find it disrespectful to tell someone belief X is mythologic and belief Y is religious.

To avoid any upcoming argument on the subject, I’m going to get this out the way first… To me religious beliefs and lgbt community lifestyles were always one and the same since there is a war on both sides. There was always alot of similarities in having a belief of a higher power, a round earth or being born a cetrain way - whether we believe it or not. I always found it strange when Christianity was chastised for being unaccepted or uninviting to the lgbt community when the Christian church was the very first outer social community who accepted the lgbt community (I’m talking about both America and non-American cultures). The fact still remains true til this day and isn’t changing but as the whole debockle over Ruby Rose and other celebrities has proven, if there is one such threat against lgbt, it’s th lgbt community themselves whom canabalize whomever they should be supporting.

It is quite interesting to me that the majority of lgbt do go to Christian or Catholic church every sunday, as the church is very uplifing and supportive of them as a whole. You’d actually be more in danger of a pastor telling you that the don’t accept heavy metal in their church than lgbt personal, if you disagree or had a different experience then you weren’t at a Christian church but a group disguised as a Christian church.

Now then moving on to something more importantly, let’s talk about religious affect on fictional characters:

I recently became aware that Aloy from Horizon: Zero Dawn was an atheist and how foolish she was nade to feel when the religous members of a tribe shunned her. It explains at the end of the game that she was right to feel foolish, even though throughout the game you feel as if Aloy is right to be atheist and non- religion approving. Without spoiling anything, you do become the annointed one and you do become religous by the end of the game as your eyes are opened to what is instead of rejecting the evidence. Point being that this maturity in religion as a character made her all the more stronger and developed her, it was probably some of the most clever writing I’ve seen in awhile when regards to any entertainment medium.

Same could be said about the androids in Nier: Automata who lay their customs out to learn from the Christian Bible, only they call it “Human Records” in the game. Makes for interesting and clever writing. I don’t want to go deeper in that ine though because there is alot to talk about there, too much.

https://youtu.be/2M-JHy8mPpU

As a Christian myself, perhaps the most interesting that there was a Christian D&D rpg game called Five: The Guardians Of David. It’s not strange that the concept was there, what was strange was the attack it recieved from non-Christians who seemed to think that Chsitians like myself do not like to have fun for whatever reason. Later the comic books were releaesed which stirred up even more adversity. The devs won and made a sequel which made athiests even mre angry when it stated throughout the game how many “unbelievers” thought the Bible stories actually were inspired or originated from Greek Mythology. We always do have petty arguments/comparisons which try to manipulate things such as Samson being the same person or a direct copycat of Hercules - that’s even though the only similarities they have are that they were strong men.

https://youtu.be/0qYlcVLlSNs

Just a reminder, in the Bible there were plenty of gay or bisexual people (not characters, though if you think of the Bible as fairytales or mythology then you will probably only ever see them as characters when the majority of thr world still sees the Bible as historical records). We’ll never know if one or more of the disciples were gay/bi but because Jesus was said to hang out with all types of people and never discriminated against any one type, I wouldn’t doubt it. After all, he did dine with murderers, doctors, theives, politicians, sick people, etc. Basically everyone who was outcasted. But we do know that none of them were trans because medical science was not… uhhh there yet then. I mean, even now we can’t actually make a male woman or vice verse 100% so there’s that. We have had sexual identity swapping since the dawn of time though.

I don’t think anyone would look at them differently, I think people would just find it hard to believe without proper science or record to prove that which is quite different from comic book fantasy where you can just gender swap or multiverse and it wouldn’t matter much because different writers just take creative freedom as they will. It’s far too different for something like the Christian Bible that is considered historical records by the majority of the world and if we want to get technical, I know that atheists have an argument here saying that there are so many different types of Bibles but that is when you know people haven’t done their research, there is the original Bible which defines the religion of Christianity as a whole, and even Pagans, Wiccans and the Luciferians acknowledge this is true since their religions are tied into it somewhat as well.

But… Even if we were to see religion as mythology/fairytales, it would still be much stranger to suddenly add or change the “lore” in such drastic ways when we know that record was passed on in a specific way throughout ages and generations. DC and Marvel Comics not being as such, makes it easier to accept these types of changes without question. Comic books are fairly new and a form of entertainment so even hardcore fans like myself do not look at it as mythology or anything like that but actual fairytales, how fairytales should actually be defined. Bare in mind that this doesn’t mean that fairytales haven’t been made based on religion or mythology. This we have seen with things like Disney’s cartoons but still, again, it’s far too different to compare.

And. Yes, I do have the Christian Bible in comic book form!!! LOL It’s an interesting topic indeed. I want a full BIG essay from DeSade-Acolyte in response to my wall of text!!! XD

2 Likes

The fans I find annoying are the extreme Snyder loyalists who repeatedly demand the Snyder cut and insist that every DC movie should be done in Snyder’s style and say that any DC project that doesn’t involve Snyder is awful. These people seem to be bigger fans of Zack Snyder’s work than the overall world of DC comics.

3 Likes

Yeah, I can’t stand loyalists on any front. It’s actually a bit hypocritical because you know that everyone is going to have to come to break that loyalty for favoritism sooner or later.

Reminds me of people who used to tell me that they were against pre-purcashing digital games because the practice is anti-consumer but then a game they liked came out like Fallout 4 or something and yup, you guessed it. They pre-purchased it asap hahaha!

1 Like

Loyalist is weird. Like, if I like a certain creator, I’ll check out something they’re doing because I’m like, “Oh, I liked this thing that they did before so I’ll give this a try since it’s made by the same person and I typically like what they do.” That does NOT mean I automatically like the thing I just checked out because it has a favorite creator’s name on it. That’s weird and I don’t like when people do it.

2 Likes

*Loyalism

Not sure :thinking: but I’m guessing most calls for the Synder cut are tongue in cheek. Anyway, I’m sure it’s out there and I wanna see it.:smile_cat:

1 Like

@msgtv Believe me they’re not. And there’s no way it’s out there.

1 Like

Start a petition guy. I don’t care what the issue is online petitions are stupid and meaningless. You don’t even have to stand outside the supermarket with a clip board. Your investment in your cause is zero. Then some comic book websites run stories like Fans Petition for Downey to return as Ironman (actual story saw today). If Disney could keep him at a dollar amount that makes sense to them they would, no “click here” petitions are going to change that or bring out the Snyder cut.

2 Likes

@msgtv Who are you talking to?

I think msgtv meant to post that in the other thread right below this one :stuck_out_tongue:

The one called " what do you think about the number of comics?"

Thats my guess lol

@Gibbyhertz You know, I just accidentally posted in a wrong thread too. That seems like a weird coincidence… is something happening?

1 Like