Amazon Headquarters

I finally got to post my angle man lol. That might be the only one I’ve never posted besides on my collection page on a shelf where u can’t see him. I love em’. He’s just buried amongst the trees. Great stuff tho, I enjoyed the read & synopsis on him!!!

P.S. he does have an angle :triangular_ruler: in hand. Can’t see it in those pics….

8 Likes

Yay! I love Agent of Peace! I just got the second print volume of it the other day:

9 Likes

I really enjoyed Agent of Peace and the other digital firsts that were coming out at this time. I always thought it was a shame that they ended these.

9 Likes

Name: Martin Markham
First Appearance: Wonder Woman #259 (1979)
Creators: Gerry Conway and Jose Delbo
Abilities: The dark twisted art of advertising, The diabolical practice of public relations, The twisted trick of knowing the wants and desires of your target audience and using those to get what you want.

Backstory: Agent of the Greek god of War. Martin Markham was a mild mannered publicist. Scheming and plotting in order to build up the reputation of anything he was paid to, so long as the price was right.

Summoned by Mars/Ares from his office at the Markham, Menditz & Monroe building in New York Citys Madison Avenue, Martin would agree to serve the god of war and accomplish the most difficult of feats, make the world worship Mars/Ares as their god. Make the world willingly bow before him.

Promised great power and fortune should he succeed in his goal, Martin leaped at the chance and quickly developed a multi staged plan which would ensure his success in this very thing which he was certain could not fail.

For the the United States, the most powerful nation in the world by all rights should worship Ares already.
They revere war with thousands of statues, songs, holidays, and memorials celebrating it.
They possess the largest army the world has ever seen several times over and invest more money into their military than anything else.
Their culture is one that champions war and viewing themselves the the winners of every conflict and every conflict they create or join to be justified because they are always in the right.
And they venerate violence to the point that every citizen is encouraged to have a gun and make war at the slightest provocation.
Convincing them to turn their worship to the god of war would be simplicity itself.

He simply had to also do a smear campaign against Wonder Woman in order to ensure his victory. Which would not exactly be difficult in a nation which was allergic to the message of peace, discriminatory against women, and wary of people from other countries. Especially with Martin guiding the gods efforts in tarnishing Wonder Womans reputation to build up that of Mars/Ares, the new ruler of Olympus.

What force could possibly stand in the way of the power of publicity?

Additional Images

martin markham 2

8 Likes

Fun Fact, publicist agents are surprisingly enough a staple in Wonder Woman lore with one always lurking about somewhere.

You have the corrupt Al Kale who dates all the way back to the first issue of Sensation Comics

Veronica Cales PR team who was hired to drag Wonder Womans name through the mud.

And of course Myndi Mayer, Wonder Womans more alturistic publicist.

9 Likes

So…I just saw this on my shelf and had kind of forgotten I owned it. It’s a really fun game, actually, but my favorite thing might be that it uses Rebirth designs for both Diana and Cheetah. The board itself is Urzkartaga’s jungle temple on one side, and Themyscira on the other. Anyone else own this or have played it?

Look how cute Cheetah is. :heart_eyes_cat: These may now be my favorite Wonder Woman Funko Pops (even though they are much smaller than regular Funkos). I need to find a male Funkoverse figure I can customize to be Rebirth Steve now…

Bonus: My cat provides sizing scale

Not really, but he deposited himself there while I was taking pics. :joy:

9 Likes

I didn’t know Funko made games. Is it just this set or are there other wonder woman games?

7 Likes

They’ve made a bunch! This is the only Wonder Woman one. There’s a Batman one, I think, and lots of other franchises.

8 Likes

Name: Queen Mikra
First Appearance: Wonder Woman #116 (1960)
Creators: Robert Kanigher and Ross Andru
Abilities: Controls an army of giant stone sphinx which possess invulnerability and eye beams of various properties.

Backstory: Ruler of the desert kingdom of Mikra seven thousand years prior, Queen Mikra was a powerful sorceress who using her power would go on to create an army of stone sphinx which thus enchanted, would be given life and sapience. The whole of their beings dedicated to serving her will and never doing her harm.

Her creations were enchanted to be invulnerable to all mundane weapons. Swords, arrows, even modern weapons such as gunfire and crashing planes. None would leave a scratch for the sphinx were enchanted thus that the only thing which could damage a sphinx, was another sphinx itself.

Her sphinx all possessed powerful eye beams with varying properties. From paralyzing a target, destroying what it gaze upon with exploding lasers, to healing the injured.

Thanks to this army of sphinx, Queen Mikras kingdom which was named after her would remain independent millenia after her sleep. Guarding the borders of the kingdom and awaiting her eventual return. To carry out Mikras oath to one day send out her army of sphinx to conquer the world and claim it as her own.

Though in a most curious of coincidences, despite the millennia separating them and the different regions of the world from which they hailed, Queen Mikra happened to look exactly like Wonder Woman herself.

Additional images

queen mikra 3
queen mikra

8 Likes

I confess, until I started doing this and had a list developing in front of me, it never quite occurred to me how many of Wonder Womans villains had magical powers.
I expected alot more evil scientist types, but most of the ones that exist are relativly well known already. Blue Snowman, Baroness, Doctor Cyber, Doctor Poison, Zara…

7 Likes

At first, I read this as “Queen Mera” and I was confused as to why Aquaman characters would be in a Wonder Woman thread.

Then I realized lmfao

6 Likes

Name: Blue Snowman
First Appearance: Sensation Comics #59 (1946)
Creators: Joye Hummel and H.G Peter
Abilities: Army of robot duplicates, mechanized suit of power armor with a plethora of built in abilities. Weather control, cryogenics, mastered the formula for ‘Blue Snow’, robotics engineer, teaching

Backstory: Formerly a humble school teacher in the small southern town of ‘Fair Weather Valley’ Byrnas life would take a dramatic turn with the death of her father, the brilliant Doctor Brilliant. A scientist who had worked to develop ‘Blue Snow’ a chemically induced cryogenic for the purpose of bettering the world.

Anything which came in contact with the ‘Blue Snow’ compound would be in a state of frozen suspended animation with a permanently lowered temperature, Turning that which came in contact with it into a frozen statue. The uses of which had infinite possibilities from saving the climate, emergency medical response, cryogenics. So much good could be done with it.

However when her father perished, his lifes work buried by a world which wanted nothing to do with it, Byrna became disillusioned with the world and came to the conclusion that the only thing that truly mattered was money and wealth.

Thus taking on the moniker of ’ the Snowman’ Byrna Brilliant would use Doctor Brilliants invention of blue snow with her incredible talent with robotics engineering and scientific talents to create an army of robots and a machine for manipulating the weather. Seeding the clouds with the compound for blue snow. With the moniker of ‘the Blue Snowman’ sticking along the way.

Over time, Blue Snowman would continuously upgrade and improve upon her inventions. Making the weather machine mobile. Creating a mechanized suit to personally pilot. Improve the strength of the Blue Snowman robots until they could rival Wonder Woman in physical power. Turn the blue snow into a concentrated beam. Upgrading her suit continuously over time with new enhancments.

The Blue Snowman Byrna Brilliant was a burning brilliant mind that would not stop.

blue snowman 5

additional images

blue snowman 6

8 Likes

Of all of Wonder Womans villains Blue Snowman is probably my favorite of the lot. I can’t quite pin down why exactly and there are several other villains I also quite enjoy, but…Just something about the Blue Snowman

7 Likes

Happy May, @WonderSquadron! Here’s our new book club reading for AAPI Month. Please join us!

10 Likes

:notes: Just gonna leave this right here if anyone has a song they want to add… :lion: :wondersquadron1:

Also :eyes: Has anyone read this?

10 Likes

-raises hand- I have. I confess I recall not enjoying it at all at the time. It was supposed to be part 3 of a trilogy and I hadn’t read the other two which might have contributed to my feelings.
A large part of it is I had read Amazons Attack shortly before and kept drawing parallels.

And basically the entire scene with Diana working as a stripper at Doctor Psychos club was just very ICK for me.

That said, the world building by itself was quite enjoyable. Establishing the Amazons as a sort of ‘Doctor Moreu’ experiment by Paula Von Gunther to create animal people in a manner quite reminiscent of Gerta Von Gunther reaaally feels like it was written by someone who actually read Wonder Woman when they came up with this.

Establishing Diana to be Paulas lab grown daughter who was meant to succeed her and making Cheetah a jelous child who cast her out in order to claim leadership for herself was also a rather nice point.

I know its supposed to be heavily inspired by the movie ‘blue angel’ just like the other books in the trilogy were based on ‘metropolis’ and ‘nosferatu’ but ive not seen any of those so that fact fell on deaf ears for me sadly. I occasionally wonder how much my interest might have increased had I been more aware of the background stuff going into this instead of only the Wonder Woman angle.

8 Likes

I was all set to check out a new WW comic I’d never heard of! Then this reviewer on GoodReads basically told me all the reasons I should not read this book:

“ Now, Diana herself… Oh, dear. When I think of the essential characteristics of Diana, I think of her strength, her compassion, her faith, and her resiliency. Lofficier, apparently, thought only about her sex appeal, and decided to play with that trait in the most skin-crawlingly creepy way possible. And that kept me from enjoying the book.”

:see_no_evil:

And there’s the confirmation… :face_vomiting:

7 Likes

:eyes: Uh oh. @nuuninuunani @Angel212 so if I do decide to try, it’ll be a spite-read so I have more ammo to debate with. Got it.:face_with_raised_eyebrow: Also: Ew. :nauseated_face: Agree.

9 Likes

Nope, I think it is on DCUI though!

You can count me in. Worst case scenario, I hate it but that only makes me appreciate the good Wonder Woman stories. Best case scenario, I like it.

7 Likes

well if it helps, the three books are titled

6 Likes