đŸŽ¶ Mixtape Monday: Nubia đŸŽ¶

Welcome back to another week of Mixtape Monday! Last week, we put together a gem of a playlist for Catwoman:

Catwoman Playlist
  • “The Cat Came Back”, by Laurie Berkner
  • “Complicated”, by Avril Lavigne
  • “Waterfalls”, by TLC
  • “Wild World”, by Cat Stevens
  • “Want To Be Evil”, by Eartha Kitt
  • “Siamese Cat Song”, by Peggy Lee
  • “I Feel Lucky”, by Mary Chapin Carpenter
  • “I Dreamed A Dream”, by Anne Hathaway
  • “Fooled Around and Fell in Love”, by Elvin Bishop
  • “Diamonds Are Forever”, by Shirley Bassey
  • “Catwoman”, by Michael Giacchino
  • “Come Into My Dreams (Radio Edit)”, by Foggy
  • “All of a Sudden”, by Matt Monro
  • “Bloody Valentine”, by Machine Gun Kelly
  • “Dance, Dance, Christa Paffgen”, by Anberlin
  • “Why Don’t You Do Right”, by Peggy Lee
  • “Alley Cat”, by Bent Fabric
  • “Diamonds Are a Girl’s Best Friend”, from Moulin Rouge!
  • “Diamonds and Pearls”, by New Power Generation and Prince
  • “My Woman Has A Black Cat Bone”, by Albert Collins
  • “The Thief”, by The Heavy
  • “Snake Dance”, by Salma Hayek
  • “Year of the Cat”, by Al Stewart
  • “Mean Eyed Cat”, by Johnny Cash
  • “I Won’t Say (I’m in Love)”, by Susan Egan
  • “Man! I Feel Like a Woman”, by Shania Twain
  • “Angel”, by Massive Attack
  • “Dissolve Girl”, by Massive Attack
  • “What’s New Pussycat?”, by Tom Jones
  • “Your Love”, by Nicki Minaj
  • “Bad Guy”, by Billie Eilish
  • “Broken Bottles and Chandeliers”, by Guy Garvey
  • “Hard Time”, by Seinabo Sey
  • “I’m Not In Love”, by 10cc
  • “7 rings”, by Ariana Grande
  • "Money (That’s What I Want), by Barrett Strong
  • “Cat Scratch Fever”, by Ted Nugent
  • “Whip It”, by Devo
  • “Mungojerrie and Rumpleteazer”, from Cats
  • “One Jump Ahead”, by Brad Kane
  • “Four Little Diamonds”, by Electric Light Orchestra
  • “Savage (Bitmaster Remix)”, by Bahari
  • " Carmen Suite No. 2: II. Habanera" by Georges Bizet
  • “Wildcat”, by Ratatat

This Week’s Theme: Nubia

This week sees the first issue of Nubia and the Amazons arriving to DCUI, which makes this week the perfect time for a Nubia playlist. What songs do you think the Amazonian warrior and current queen of Themyscira would love to listen to? Share your picks with us, below!

Due to the high volume of submissions and the limited number of hours in a day, we’ll be selecting two songs from each member, but feel free to share as many as you like!

:headphones: Curious what Mixtape Monday is? :headphones:
Every week, we’ll post the title of our latest Mixtape, and you post tracks of your choice in the comments below! We’ll follow up next Mixtape Monday with the list of tunes, two from each user, collected from the week before. And if our “What’s the Last Song You Heard?” thread is any indication, you all have superb taste in tunes!

For our hardcore music lovers, we suggest joining Inky’s Mixtape Mob , a group created to bring all music lovers together in one place. Joining Inky’s Mixtape Mob will make sure you get notified of every playlist update, as well as offer you a custom flair and title to show off your maestro-dom!

While lyrics must abide to Forum Guidelines , the songs can be anything, of any genre, as long as it meets each week’s theme!

13 Likes
6 Likes

Both my submissions got in nice!

7 Likes

Going with a layup to start.

7 Likes

I just had to put this one here:

10 Likes

RESPECT

7 Likes

“Amazons Of Themyscira”, by Rupert Gregson-Williams

“Off With Her Head”, by Icon For Hire

7 Likes

Nubia turns 50 later this year.

Here’s the #1 hit in the US when she debuted

she drew a good one

9 Likes
7 Likes

Alright, here’s a good one. This is a song from an early draft of Frozen, which was about the concept of “the heir and the spare”
 I think I just won the playlist.
https://open.spotify.com/lyrics

5 Likes

I am Captain Obvious!

I Am Woman - Helen Reddy

6 Likes

I feel like this fits pretty well for some reason!

9 Likes

6 Likes

I had to put some thought into this one, since I’m not as familiar with Nubia as I would like (yet!), but this is a good song that I like that I feel would fit her pretty well:

“Let’s Change the World”, by Ringo Starr

6 Likes

Greetings Mix Mob! :inkys_mixtape_mob2: :notes: Great picks, like always! I’m just under the wire—these are for our new Queen’s upcoming coronation party :crown: :lion::tada:

Keep ‘em Bouncin- Pretty Lights

Lovebeats- Starcadian

11 Likes

Sorry, but one song just really pops into my head for “ Nubia & The Amazons “ but it has to be altered.

Queen - Princes of the Universe

(change it to)

Princesses of the Universe
6 Likes
6 Likes

#fyeahbikinikill

rebelgirlsmaller

5 Likes

The Punk Singer is a great, actually it’s fantastic, Documentary on Kathleen Hanna. Which is obviously about Bikini Kill. It’s based on why she disappeared from the music scene at the height of her career. She was married to Adam (aka Ad-Rock) Horovitz from the Beastie Boys. I won’t spoil in case u haven’t seen, or plan to see it? Crazy tho. She left for medical reasons, no choice. Then right after I watch the documentary, Ad-Rock passed away. Tons of great content tho. She grew up best friends with Kurt Cobain. So there’s some rare Kurt footage pre-Nirvana.

5 Likes

I think I might have seen part of this - I’ll have to find it and watch the whole thing. Maybe it was just clips used for promoting Hit Reset a few years back. I stumbled across it when I discovered the crazy pop cover of Deceptacon that Jessica Hernandez did.

Tangentially related: Kathleen Hanna was one of the first artists (along with Alice Bag) to help the Linda Lindas get bigger name gigs before they went viral and got signed by Epitaph. (Which is impressive considering I think she still lives in Brooklyn and did this during the pandemic.)

5 Likes