Amazon Headquarters

Yay @Angel212!

:00_wonder_woman_gold: :00_wonder_woman_gold: :00_wonder_woman_gold:

Mine’s every June 23rd :smiley:

:00_batman_1989: :00_batman_1989: :00_batman_1989:

6 Likes

Happy Origin Day!

Like you, I became immersed in WW lore after seeing a movie. Funny how easy it is to fall into an obsession like this. :00_wonder_woman_stars:

7 Likes

Terrifyingly easy! But like, in a good way. :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Happy WW Origin love day @Angel212!!! What a great way to get into the character and become a fan. Thank you for sharing.

6 Likes

Thank you @RexRebel, @DC89, @SteveTrevor2.0, and @CassTheStreet! :blue_heart: I’m reminded once again why I’m so grateful for this place. I can post something like that and you guys get why it’s important to me. Because you all have similar events that were important to you, too! Here’s to another year of nerding out together on DCUI. :clinking_glasses:

7 Likes

Have you ever watch Wonder Woman 1977 TV series? If you love the first & 1984 movie, then you’ll love the TV series.
I remember when I first saw it when I was really little, I thought it was so cool how Lynda Carter became Wonder Woman by spinning around.
It was one of the early show I grew up with along with The Incredible Hulk & The Dukes Of Hazzard, and reruns of 1966 Batman.
The show is on HBO Max, if you ever have the time, you should watch it, it’s really good, also the DC Universe Infinite also have the comic book of the series as well. :grinning:

:wonderwoman:

6 Likes

I really enjoyed all of the WW ‘77 comics, particularly the crossover with Batman ‘66.

Maybe someday I’ll pick up the Bionic Woman crossover as well.

8 Likes

Yes! I actually spent my Christmas break last year watching through the whole series. Probably time to watch a few episodes of that again! Lynda Carter is such a treasure. :blue_heart:

7 Likes

I just read Bizarro Comics the Deluxe Edition. Well, I just skimmed it for the Wonder Woman comics. Highlights for me:

A short story featuring an impossible adventure with Wonder Girl and Wonder Tot. I have to admit I am a huge Wonder Tot fan.

The return of Silver Age Thelma Tall. Mostly she is back for a one-panel joke but I love when modern comics reference the old stuff.

Anyway, I would describe the rest of the book as “cringe” (hope I am using that correctly). The art is mostly unsettling and the jokes are mostly lame. It reminds me of Mad Magazine, which I never cared for. If you like Mad, you will like this collection.

The other Wonder Woman stories were okay, apart from the disturbing art style and odd writing.

I feel like I just took one for the team by reading this so you don’t have to. :smile:

8 Likes

I was about to say, you are being way more adventurous with the new additions to our library than I have been! Thank you for deflecting that one with your bracers for us. :rofl:

7 Likes

I’m fairly certain that the Bizarro Comics anthology was actually by Mad writers and artists, which would definitely explain it.

6 Likes

Hope everyone has a happy new year! :fireworks: :champagne:

8 Likes

Happy New Year, Wonder Fam! :tada:

7 Likes

Happy New Year all.

6 Likes

HΔPPΨ ΠΣШ ΨΣΔRS!!!

6 Likes

For Christmas my mom and sister both got me the same Wonder Woman book, Wonder Woman vol. 2: Through A Glass Darkly. I was able to return one and pick up Wonder Woman vol. 1: Afterworlds. Of course, I had other books I had to read before I jumped into these books and have binge read volume 5 of the Rebirth Era, where I left off, and everything leading up to Afterworlds.

All of this to say, I have some thoughts on the modern Wonder Woman books. First, I mostly love them. There are a few issues I could have done without and those are mostly in the Lords and Liars volume. Second, I love how Steve Orlando pulls completely forgotten characters out of his back pocket like it is nothing. It was a pleasure to be introduced to Iron Maiden in Wonder Woman 751-753. I want more of her! Third, it is interesting to see what storylines different writers pick up and which ones become forgotten or the third option of simply mentioning they exist, like Jason in The Four Horsewomen tpb.

I am also sort of confused on where Wonder Woman comic stand in the greater picture. In Superman, that is well established that the Superman pre-Flashpoint is rocking the pages of those comics. However, Wonder Woman seems to not really catch on to that. Two examples, Silver Swan and Max Lord. Silver Swan was reintroduced as a brand new character, even though she first appeared in pre-Flashpoint continuity. (I apologize, I can’t remember if it was Byrne, Rucka, or Loeb that introduced her or none of the above, I have been trying to remember what book I first saw her in). Then there is Max Lord. There are editor notes that specifically mention Wonder Woman killing Lord back in Infinite Crisis, but she didn’t remember. It just seems weird that other characters have fallen back into their old continuity while Wonder Woman is still discovering it.

But overall, I am loving this read and now re-read of Wonder Woman books as I have caught up to where I started buying her comics again.

Oh yeah, I think Ratatosk should be speaker of the house! I don’t think we have any laws that a talking squirrel can’t be speaker of the house, just saying.

8 Likes

Hey @D4RK5TARZ! Love all this, thanks for sharing your thoughts with us! So cool that you got some presents that kickstarted your WW reading again. Afterworlds is one of my favorite recent stories, actually. :blush:

I am the last person to ask about wider DC continuity cuz I always get it mixed up - but I think in Wonder Woman’s case, this is due to the events of “The Lies,” where many of her continuities merged in her mind and then were revealed to be falsehoods planted by the gods. I’m not for sure on this, but the way I’ve been reading it is that the only true past continuity for her now is what was covered in the first Rebirth arc. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

I also have noticed how writers pick and choose what they want to use or ignore…the Jason storyline wasn’t my favorite but it also seemed kinda cheap how he was just written out…

And finally, Ratatosk is a very good boy and deserves all the good things. :chipmunk: :blue_heart:

7 Likes

This makes sense and I completely forgot this major plot point for her. I read this around June of last year if I remember correctly and many comics have been read in between.

I liked the Dark Gods storyline because it was able to get Grail a spotlight as an Amazon, for better or worse. Jason himself was kind of cool but I wouldn’t count him out completely. He made a cameo in The Four Horsewomen story. It didn’t make sense but he was there for a brief moment.

Oh, I forgot to mention Steve! I understand why they broke up and as organic as it seemed, I don’t think it should have stayed that way. Considering the breakup happened when Aphrodite was killed they should have come together at the end of that story. The biggest thing about their break up that I didn’t like was it made Wonder Woman seem extremely selfish for never being there for Steve and it made Steve selfish and a hypocrite as he was doing the same thing. I understand relationships work from both sides but him complaining that she is never there then he leaves once she returns? This happened often and the build up to the break up was obvious even if I didn’t know that was going to happen.

7 Likes

I totally understand! I read so many comics, I feel like I forget the plot of most of them after about a month. :sweat_smile:

Oh, I liked the stuff with Grail also! And…I actually completely forgot we saw Jason again in Four Horsemen. I’ll have to go back and look!

I hated this part (obviously lol). The idea that their relationship should hinge on whether or not the Goddess of Love is alive is abhorrent to me…which was sort of the impression I was given by that storyline, at least at first. And yeah, Steve’s behavior is completely out of character from how he was originally written at the beginning of Rebirth. That he would so coldly walk out on her when she was severely beaten down by Cheetah…and then they couldn’t even reach a reconciliation at the end?

I really thought (or hoped, I guess) that when Wonder Woman came back to life following Afterworlds they would get back together…but a year and some change later, I’ve kinda given up that this will happen. Maybe in the next reboot… :pensive:

7 Likes

I think one of my biggest problems with it is the implications it has in the DCU. For example, Lois is supposed to stay home and be happy while Clark is gone for months at a time. Meanwhile, Wonder Woman is gone for a week in between seeing each other and its too much.

I should also note, I will have to find it because I think you will enjoy the story, that Superman and Wonder Woman were stranded on a planet or dimension for a while. Lois knew Wonder Woman was with Clark. The twist was that time moved at a different pace where Clark and Diana were and they came to the realization that they would never get to leave and if they do everyone would be gone. It is a whole thing that made sense in the story. Anyway, while this was happening Lois remained with Clark, maybe a little upset but she didn’t leave him. I don’t remember if Diana and Steve were together at that time.

Ugh, now I have to look in my Superman books to find the story. I think it was from around 2000.

7 Likes