A Night in Arkham RPG Thread!

Calling players for a grand adventure! I’m planning to run an RPG (role playing game similar to D&D) starting Dec 14th. I’m going to go ahead and get the players ready.

I am using a system designed for new players so don’t be scared to join if you don’t have experience!

General Information:
You’ll play as Arkham citizens (guards, doctors, visitors, etc) during a mysterious breakout. Sort of like Clue if the hallways had Zsasz and Joker running around in them.

Character Creation:

Click on the drop down box that you think matches your skill level. I recommend starting low and moving high until you feel like are at your skill level.

Very New, Very Nervous

No need to be nervous! DM me and I’ll provide you an already filled out character sheet!

Beginner

Come up with an idea for what original character you want to play as. My only conditions are they can’t have powers (or at least not crazy ones), they have to be willing to help the group stop some bad guys, and they need a name, age, pronouns, reason for being there, weight, and height. After you have this, DM me and I’ll make you a “character sheet” using the information. If you struggle, feel free to ask me anything.

(I’m being a bit loose on the original characters and powers bit but the idea is that you are close to average and I think original characters will be more site rules on fan fic friendly.)

New But Confident!

Using the plot prompt above, come up with a character. In the post after this one will be an example of a character sheet. Fill out everything above Knowledge however you want. From Knowledge and below, divide up 70 points. There has to be at least 1 point in every slot. There cannot be more than 10 points in a slot. 5 is considered to be average skill level for most slots. After you have this, DM me and I’ll walk you through the last bit which is what items you will have. If you want your character to have special skill such as healing, tracking, etc, DM me and I will walk you through how to add it, or you can check the Experienced tab.

Experienced

Using the plot prompt above, come up with a character. In the post after this one will be an example of a character sheet. Fill out everything above Knowledge however you want. From Knowledge and below, divide up 70 points. There has to be at least 1 point in every slot. There cannot be more than 10 points in a slot. 5 is considered to be average skill level for most slots.

If you want your character to have special skill such as healing, tracking, etc, add a space for it at the bottom, and add 5 point to the amount you can use for a total of 75. This can be done for multiple skills but please don’t cheese the system with this.

After you have done this, roll 2d6. Whatever number you get is how many points you have to spend on items. For example, if you rolled a 6 and the only item you wanted was a gun, you could add an item such as:

Gun: Gun +6

or, if you wanted a rifle that could double as a club,

Rifle: Gun +4 Melee Weapon +2

After this is all done, DM me and I’ll check over it. If you have any questions, ask me. The part about adding a skill is particularly tricky.

I'm Literally Insane

Make a character using the prompt, fill out the sheet below with 70 points for everything from knowledge down, and however you want above that. Make items by rolling 2d6 and whatever number you get is how many points you have to spend on items. See Experienced for example of formatting. You can add a skill if needed and add 5 points to the 70 total. DM me once completed.

Rules/Playguide:

Very New, Very Nervous

This game is turn based. When it is your turn, I will let you know and give you instructions. You will decide how your character is going to respond and then may be prompted to “roll 2d6.” This sounds scary, I know, but it’s just 2 normal dice. You can roll physical ones, get an app, or type “@kelex roll 2d6” on a line by itself. I’ll walk you through it, so don’t worry!

Beginner/New But Confident

This game is turn based. When it is your turn, I will let you know and give you instructions. You will decide how your character is going to respond and then may be prompted to “roll 2d6.” This means roll 2 normal 6 sided dice. You can roll physical ones, get an app, or type “@kelex roll 2d6” on a line by itself. I’ll walk you through it, so don’t worry!

Each player starts with 1 “Hero Point.” This point can be used to add points to roll. This will help you for very tricky things! I recommend saving it though since you only get one. It is possible to earn more by doing heroic things or to lose points by being villainous! Hero points can also be used to change things about the environment but this is a somewhat tricky technique. I recommend not doing this as a beginner.

Experienced

It works like a normal table top RPG. The game uses 2d6. Each player starts with 1 hero point that can be used to add 6 points to a roll or change the environment. They can be earned by heroic feats and lost with villainous ones… Rolling doubles has no meaning. Ask about anything.

I'm Well & Truely Insane

I use a 2d6 system because most beginning players are psychologically more comfortable with them. They sound less complex. Also, the expected value of a roll is 7, minimum is 2, and max is 12. I personally believe that this is more accurate to life as it leaves a greater chance of being mediocre over a dismal failure or massive success. It also keeps the game more interesting. There are hero points which can be won or lost with “heroic deeds.” Spending them can subtract 6 from a DC (Difficulty Class). Hero points can also be used to change the environment in a reasonable way. It has to be a change that makes sense for the environment to have, in fact, always included or never have included the change. There is a standard DC of 6 for all roles, with levels of 3 added for everything that makes it more difficult. The players’ rolls subtract the roll amount and any relevant stats. There is a sliding scale on the DC related to the sum of the players stats that won’t be relevant in this short of a game. Feel free to ask questions about the pmf and cdf of the rolls and the loot system. (Again, crazy right?)

Joining/Dropping

Joining late is allowed up to a point in the story. Ask me if it’s okay. You can drop any time.

If you go 2-3 days without posting when it’s your turn, we skip your turn. If you skip a few turn in a row, I’ll assume you are dropping. I don’t like putting this clause in here but this ain’t my first rodeo. If you want to join back up, no problem. It just pauses the game for everyone if people don’t contribute.

This post and the post below it will be edited as needed.

5 Likes

Character sheets and stats:

LDFM

Name: Floyd
Hero Points: 1
Build: 7
Knowledge: 7
Strength: 7
Speed: 5
Awareness: 9
Durability: 7
Presence: 5
Emotional state: 5
Acting: 8
Crafting: 1
Melee Weapon: 6
Melee: 5
Gun: 5

Items:

Baton +2 Melee Weapon
Riot Shield +2 Durability

Helmet +1 Durability
Body Armor +2 Durability

+2 First Aid Kit
+1 Security Key Card Level 1
+1 Flashlight

Backstory
Worked with the GCPD for a few years. Soon grew tired of the patrol element and transfered to be security at Arkham Asylum. Has an ability to read people and situations, is effective at diffusing tense moments within the asylum and can sometimes deescalate situations without resorting to violence.

Jay_Kay

Name: Kevin Elliot
Hero Points: 1
Build: 6 Wt: 195 Ht: 5’10"
Knowledge: 8
Strength: 7
Speed: 5
Awareness: 5
Durability: 5
Presence: 5
Emotional state: 7
Acting: 8
Crafting: 7
Melee Weapon: 3
Melee: 7
Gun: 1
Healing: 7

Items:

• Red Cape:
    +1 Presence, Acting

• Red Trunks:
    +2 Strength, +1 Speed

• Glasses:
    +2 Awareness, -3 Presence

• Memory Crystal:
    Emotional State -2

• Riot Shield
    Durability +4

• Baton
    Melee Weapon +4

Cradle2theGabe

Name: Boris “The Brick”
Hero Points: 2
Build: 7 Wt: 200 Ht: 5’9"
Knowledge: 4
Strength: 6
Speed: 6
Awareness: 5
Durability: 10
Presence: 6
Emotional state: 5
Acting: 5
Crafting: 4
Melee Weapon: 6
Melee: 8
Gun: 5

Items:
Smartphone: +3 Knowledge
Ball Bearings: +2 Gun
Running Shoes: +2 Speed

Backstory: Infamously tough Gotham street thug who has come to get new orders from his incarcerated gang boss. GCPD has got some dirt on him and is pushing him to inform on his superiors. He’s as durable as they come. Often brags about having taken punches from Batman as well as landing a few of his own.

5 Likes

Calling @Cradle2theGabe , @Jurisdiction , @Detective7 , @casasstrophe , @PhoenixTalion , @Aquamon who all expressed interest at one point or another.

This post is a wiki for players to use how ever they want. I like having an easy access place for you all to keep notes and whatnot.

4 Likes

I’m down! I’ll do a character later, just posting for the star for now.

3 Likes

Glad to have you aboard! Let me know if you have any questions at all during character creation.

3 Likes

Question on some of the skills listed…

I’m guessing “Acting” could be attributed to something like “Charisma”?

And what would “Durability” and “Presence” by used for?

1 Like

Acting is basically charisma. It’s your ability to lie, pretend, convince, act, etc.

Durability is how tough you are. Basically, if you take a hit, does it kill you or not? It also can be used for constitution under some circumstances.

Presence is also similar to charisma, and is the reason I have the two separated. Basically it’s how noticeable you are. A high one means you have zero chance of blending in but are very intimidating, a low one means you are stealthy but not very intimidating.

Public speakers might want a high presence while ninjas would want a low one. The average human would be a five.

Let me know if you still have questions!

2 Likes

Start date decided! I’ll begin on Dec 14th! I encourage people to make their characters before that day!

Meetings will not be at scheduled times (unless you want to). So long as you can drop in once a day to once every two days it’ll be fine.

2 Likes

I’m in! Looking forward to the RPG experience. Something I’ve been curious about for a while.

1 Like

Glad to have you aboard!

I recommend making your character beforehand (guidelines above). You don’t have to though. If you do, let me know if you need any help.

Housekeeping:

It’s still a bit early but we need three players to start and right now we only have two. @LDFM , @Cradle2theGabe just a heads up that if there aren’t enough by Dec 14th, I’ll probably cancel. I’m confident we’ll get it but just in case.

Also, there is going to be a mystery component. You can put in a final answer as soon as you want for a bonus (tbd what) that will be granted at the time of the reveal. You can even put it in now!

Lastly, let me know if there are any inmates/characters you really want to see and I’ll consider them. I can’t have everyone (you don’t want everyone) but if there is someone you are interested in, I’ll look into it.

3 Likes

I’ve never really played DND before, but this sounds interesting! Going to try and think up a character that would be fun for this kind of story and see if it works. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This should hopefully be easier than DnD so it will be a good intro! Let me know if you want any help with character creation.

1 Like

@Jay_Kay and @LDFM , your sheets have been included in the second post for ease! I’ll update it with things like damage, new items, etc as needed. You also start with one hero point each.

2 Likes

It begins tomorrow! Everyone has until midnight tomorrow to reach out to me about joining.

(Side Note: right now we have 2 players but we need 3, if we don’t have enough by midnight tomorrow, I’ll cancel.)

1 Like

I’ll get my character sheet to you tomorrow midday. Is that cutting it too close?

Also what time zone are you working from? I’m pacific so midnight is 9PM for me.

1 Like

That’s fine by me! I look forward to having you aboard!

“Midnight” is code for “when I wake up the next morning”. I have just found giving people a specific deadline helps.

Also, anyone is welcome to join late up to a predetermined point in the story. You can also drop at any point if needed. As long we have the right range of players, I can run with it (12 is max, 3 is minimum).

1 Like

I just sent you my character sheet :smiley:

Would it be cool for us to create avatars for our characters? I know a few good resources for RPG character builder type stuff. Optional of course.

1 Like

If you want to, be my guest! I’m looking over your sheet now, I’ll get back to you in a second.

Here we go! Our players are @LDFM , @Jay_Kay , and @Cradle2theGabe . If anyone else wants to join, they can up to a point in the story!

It is a cold and dark night in Arkham Asylum. There is a fog outside but most would still rather be out there than inside. Screams and howls of laughter can be heard echoing around the halls. In the visitors area, we find three people…

Floyd is a guard, he is watching over Kevin Elliot, a madman who thinks that he is a Kryptonian. A strange journalist from Metropolis just visited to ask Kevin some questions, neither of you have any idea what that was about but he left a good bit ago in a rush. Mumbled something about volcanos. Must have gotten a tip on some volcano story. Boris “The Brick” is a thug who is waiting to see his boss.

Suddenly, the power flickers, you see the lights on the cameras go dark and the Asylum’s screams go suddenly quiet. The emergency door separating the visitors from the inmates swings open. The laughter sounds again, louder than ever. Protocol says you should wait where you are but experience says that may not be the best plan…

Prompt: What do you do? Each player states what they want to do. When it matters, players actions will take place in the order they are posted unless otherwise stated by the players (it normally doesn’t matter though).

3 Likes