A DC Action Figure/Statue/Bust A Day!

Cool selections, Vroomy. Super Powers Bats will always be an all-time favorite of mine. I’ve also often eyed that zipline Batman, but I keep deciding against opening the old Mattel floodgates, especially with all the new McFarlane figures coming out.

Here’s some of my favorite Batman figures (pictures from my personal collection; please excuse some of the odd angles/crops):

Mezco One:12 Collective BvS

Mezco One:12 Collective PX Sovereign Knight

DC Collectibles Jim Lee Collection (New 52 cell shaded)

DC Direct Justice League of America (based on Ed Benes art)

McFarlane Multiverse Death Metal

McFarlane Multiverse Arkham Knight

Sideshow Sixth Scale Figure

Are we allowed to post statue pics here? The thread is titled “A DC Action Figure A Day”, so I didn’t want to be presumptuous :slightly_smiling_face:.

5 Likes

Thank you.

Likewise. I fell in love with him around 1990 or so, after I saw him in the pages of a 1986 Sears Christmas Catalog (my family kept old Christmas catalogs as part of our Christmas decor).

At that time, I couldn’t find a Batman similar to the Adam West iteration (and this was before Kenner released the blue and gray Iron Winch Batman in their Dark Knight Collection line later in 1990), so when I saw the SP Batman in that catalog, I thought “Aw, man! I’m four years too late to get a blue and gray Batman.”

I did finally nab SP Batman at a toy show around 1994, or so. He was beat-up and missing his cape, but 11 year-old me didn’t care, I just wanted the figure. I still have him to this day.

In 2000, I bought a carded SP Batman from eBay. I had him until 2012 or so, when I sold him (I was on a break from toy collecting). I don’t regret it though, because that childhood SP Batman still makes me smile when I look at my small shelf of Super Powers figures.

Dude, you must nab a Zipline Batman! He’s one of the absolute best Batman figures sculpted by The Four Horsemen (who were former sculptors for McFarlane in the '90s) and one of the best Batman figures of the modern era. Just so f’ing cool.

I have faith you could buy him and still avoid being awash in a Mattel flood. But if not, it’s the good kind of flood, at least. :slight_smile:

I dig your picks, especially the DCD Benes Bats and the McFarlane Arkham Bats, which I feel is the best larger-scale Arkham Batman thus far. Mattel made some nifty versions of him in their 4-inch DC Comics Multiverse line, but I think the McFarlane iteration blows away those by DC Collectibles.

No worries on presumptuousnessnessnessnessnessnessness. Post away, my good man!

Hell, I’ll even amend the thread of the title. You (and anyone else, for that matter) may now post all the statue pictures you like. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Trust me, I know the significance of that one among collectors. I keep eyeing the 2 pack that has it with Superman. Brad the DC Geek reviews it here:

Would have to agree. I never played the game (actually he’s a playable character in the mobile version of Injustice 2, a game I play a lot)… but I just love the design. McFarlane captured it best in this scale. There’s also the 12” hyper-realistic Hot Toys version:

But the price tag can buy you an instant collection of McFarlanes :joy:

Yay!

Batman Black & White by Ivan Reis

Iron Studios Art Scale (1/10) Batman & Robin by Ivan Reis

DC Collectibles Designer Series by Lee Bermejo

DC Collectibles Designer Series Trinity by Jason Fabok (part of a bigger piece that includes the other two :slightly_smiling_face:)

6 Likes

This brings back memories and I think I might start looking for one of these for my personal collection. When I was kid I had the Superman, Flash, Green Lantern, Robin, and Batman Super Powers toys.

6 Likes

@moro I haven’t seen that video, but if Brad didn’t mention it (and in case you weren’t aware), here’s a little trivia about the two-pack with Superman and Zipline Batman:

That edition of the Batman and Superman two-pack was a direct market exclusive. There was also a mass market edition that had the same Superman figure, but a different Batman, one in blue and gray (that was a repaint of Battle Armor Batman, from the basic assortment).

Batman came with a shield-like device that had the Bat-emblem on it and a disc shooter (a favorite accessory of mine, going back to 1995’s Sonar Sensor Batman, from Kenner’s Batman Forever line).

Superman came with the same shield-like accessory as Batman, however his had the S-shield on it.

I like both editions, but for your type of display, I could see the direct market being the better option. Plus…Zipline Batman. :metal:t2:

Zipline Batman has a few packaging variations (along with being released in a two-pack with Battle Board Robin), which I’ve thought of nabbing from time to time, as they’re pretty cheap and easy to find.

Maybe I’ll treat myself at Christmas. :wink:

BTW, diggin’ those statues, especially the Fabok Batman.

@D4RK5TARZ Neat! The Toy Biz Batman doesn’t go for very much and is a pretty easy find, so should you decide to get him, good luck in your hunt. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I had this preordered and fully paid off and then needed the money for adulting so I canceled it for the refund. It’s the part of being an adult but I regret it constantly.

4 Likes

Been there, done that. Have regrets I can dedicate a couple posts to, but will spare you :slightly_smiling_face:.

3 Likes

I remember when I was a kid and just wanted to grow up. What a con that turned out to be.

4 Likes

I’d say adult you is better off without the Hot Toys figure, given their ridiculous QC issues.

It’s surely a pretty piece, but I would not be surprised if that Batman had some issue that a figure of that price absolutely should not have.

4 Likes

You’re right. And a lot of the regret is just due to being a completist. I have Arkham City Batman, Joker, and Arkham Knight so AK Batman just feels necessary.

5 Likes

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt many, many times over the last 33 (32 when counting DC product) years. :slight_smile:

How have those figures held up?

4 Likes

That’s the next reason it’s silly to be a completist, I had to box them up so I don’t even know. Part of me assumes that when I open them they will crumble like they drank from the wrong grail.

5 Likes

I would certainly hope they’ll be okay.

Cool Points for the Last Crusade reference. slides over an envelope of 1,989 Cool Points

5 Likes

In honor of this week’s release of Superman vs. Lobo #2, I present…Lobo and Superman!

5 Likes

Friday is fantastic, so it’s time for some fantastic figures to start the weekend by!

In honor of Mongul’s starring role in Action Comics (@moro Maybe snag him for a Superman shelf?):

Also in the current pages of Action (but in a different outfit)…

4 Likes

The villain side of my collection is very small, but that is a fine selection. I take it that’s probably one of only a few figures of Mongul that have been made?

4 Likes

It is, it really is. You just can’t go wrong with DC villains as sculpted by The Four Horsemen.

Indeed.

Offhand, these are all of the Mongul figures that have been made:

Infinite Crisis, by DC Direct (2006)

DC Super Heroes, by Mattel (2007)

I know it was in my previous post, but its here again for the sake of anal-retentive completion. :nerd_face: He was later reissued in a two-pack in DC Universe Classics:

Blackest Night, by DC Direct (2010-ish, or so)

DC Universe Classics, by Mattel (2011)

Justice League Unlimited, by Mattel (2012)

Justice League Action, by Mattel (2016)

Fun Fact: Mongul has two different Sinestro Corps-style figures of himself, each made by two different companies (DC Direct and Mattel).

What’s the commonality between the two? They’re each repainted and very slightly retooled renditions of the previous Mongul figures released by DC Direct and Mattel, respectively.

Not pictured: Mongul from Superman Returns: Man of Steel, which was a sub-line to Superman Returns. He wasn’t released in the U.S.

3 Likes

Superman '78 #4 debuts on Tuesday, so here are two of Mr. Reeve’s best figures:

From Mattel’s 4-inch DC Multiverse line. (2015)

Toys R Us exclusive 7-inch Superman by NECA. (2015)

4 Likes

I stumbled across a really nice Superman Lot today at a yard sale. I told them I would buy it all to give me a price but they never would throw a price at me or was expectimg me to make an offer… But its not my place to educate them on what they have or the price I was willing to pay…they decided to contact me later after doing more research!! Mannn I should have just low balled em and made an offer lol Hope to hear back from them. They were some rare itema that I myself have not seen grrrr

4 Likes

Welcome to the community @cassadiemcafee.26175! What kind of items did you see at the sale that you would have wanted to add to your collection?

Additionally, please let the moderator team know if you need anything! :superman:

3 Likes