WW '84 Critique & Discussion

Cheeta was cast well.

7 Likes

Good, but overall disappointing. I feel I really don’t have much to say, and that’s in itself says something. Gadot remains a wonderful Diana, but this was defiantly lacking a compelling plot. It was ok. Not bad, but pretty much a letdown.

…oh… and a movie subtitled “1984” definitely should have more of the 80s in it.

5 Likes

I have to agree with @SWhite and @OmniLad’s takes here- Barbara Ann Minerva and Maxwell Lord’s characters weren’t as compelling as they could be. Wiig isn’t given enough story and screentime/Pascal is given too much. I feel like this film would be much better if the script focused on one or the other, but not both. The sequences with Diana and Steve were fantastic, but when those two aren’t in frame together the movie kinda’ flattens out. Also- Wonder Woman 2017 had marvelous supporting characters in Lucy Davis as Etta, Danny Huston as Gen. Ludendorf and David Thewlis as Ares, but this time out all instances of engaging performance from the movie’s ensemble players is few and far, far between, if even available at all. Enjoyed it mostly but still gotta’ say that WW 2017 is the best Wondy film so far.

7 Likes

I enjoyed the movie. Apparently, Rotten Tomatoes came in at a 87 per cent for the movie from what I saw of the last report. It did remind me a bit of SHAZAM for the concept about morals and values and focusing on the gods. It also was a bit reminiscent of Batman Returns. The way the origin of Cheetah reminded me somewhat of Catwoman. Comic books will give a different view. I felt the Cheetah storyline could have been developed more and made the movie either about an hour longer or maybe even a 2 parter. I was impressed with the fact that they brought back a lot of the actors/actresses from the first movie, the origin of the invisible jet, and the last scene giving Lynda a bit of a cameo. In some ways, as much as the movie was good, I felt it was a bit rushed. We actually watched the movie through out the day as we cooked Christmas dinner and I wanted to do it that way as to analyze the movie more. Kristin did a good job as Cheetah, she needed more screen time. I had some better hopes for the movie and hope that some things may be revisited in the scheme of things like perhaps a surprise extended version of the movie. Lord’s role was a bit weak, in a way, kind of wishy washy. I will be following reviews and interviews to post more. Btw, I am on a lighter schedule for those of you that follow my other postings on here so starting more next week I will be catching up and posting more. Hope you all had a good holiday, ate a lot and had a Very Merry Christmas!

6 Likes

I would say that i liked the first act, if not thinking it was a little cheesey, loved the second half and thought it was among the best superhero movies, and HATED THE ENDING enough to where i think it’s a B- for me. I thought the messaging at the end of the movie was the same as Gal Gadot’s much maligned “Imagine” video and disregarded the idea that there are really bad and greedy people and the 80s was full of them. I loved the whistful, silly, and very Superman 79 opening. And her dealing with the the consequences of bringing back Steve was actually great. One thing i love about this movie and Aquaman is the re-imagining of the hero. WOnder WOman’s fight scenes are her trying to fight and save lives at the same time. SImilar to Aquaman’s rehabilitation message with Ocean Master. Unfortunately the message that if she get’s everyone to recant their wish it will go back to neo-liberalism and that’s best for everyone, doesn’t work with world wide scale. Mostly liked it and no better couple in super hero films than Gal and Chris Pine. Plus the dude who played Maxwell lord was great. ANd Kristin wiig did sell an under written character very well. Just wish they would have stuck the landing

7 Likes

Also, can we talk about the Lynda Carter appearance and her being Astoria!? I thought that was a nice touch. Wish they would’ve set it up better for a future plot. I think that was something I missed from this film. A “what’s next”. Am I the only one? Thoughts?

10 Likes

That’s why I started this thread, critique, analyze, discuss :slightly_smiling_face:!

3 Likes

Overall, I enjoyed the film. I do feel like WW84 was maybe 45 minutes too long and tripped over itself at points however because I keep fairly low expectations on most film and media, this was a nice after dinner Christmas distraction.

I did like the humanization and development of both Maxwell Lord and Barbara Minerva along with the sneak cameo at the end of the film. It does make now want to do little more digging on the Lord character, if anything, to learn more about him and where the comic and film diverge.

The Diana Prince - Steve Trevor romance took too long to build up and ate up more screen (and plot) than it was worth. While the chemistry between the two actors is great, it detracted from the pacing of the movie and felt a bit forced.

I came away from the film satisfied but also sense this film was crushed under the weight of its own expectations along with that of the fans who really anticipated the sequel. I will definitely take the time to rewatch the film although, admittedly, I’ll be tempted to skip past the bloated portions.

4 Likes

Love the mid credit scene. A very nice Christmas gift.

6 Likes

Watched with my family on Christmas. I don’t feel the need to go into my reasons, but this might be the worst superhero movie I’ve ever seen. They had the time to fix it in post production. Sorry to be a hater. I want my 2.5 hours back. Everyone in my family felt the same way.

Maybe it would have been better in a theater—but the dialogue and the plot were pointless. Such a lost opportunity.

7 Likes

Welcome to the DCU @OldDirtyGamer.8933! :grinning: And welcome back @TyDeLong! :+1:

3 Likes

I knew this wasn’t as good as the original, but I’m still shocked at the amount of hate this movie is getting. In a world where films like Catwoman, Batman & Robin, Fant4stic, The Quest for Peace, Dark Phoenix and more exist, a statement like this is just astounding

11 Likes

I’ve thought more about the film and I think I am even more disappointed, partly completely out of the control of the filmmakers. I don’t think I ever entertained the thought that I wouldn’t like it so it hits a little harder during Christmantine. Again, that’s personal so I wouldn’t use it against the filmmakers skill set but it is a factor.
As I think more about it, I think I see what they THOUGHT they were doing but didn’t pull off. I think they believed they were showing a lot of personal growth and conflict that just didn’t make it to the screen. Diana didn’t really seem conflicted about renouncing her wish, Steve just forced it to happen and if he hadn’t I think she would have let it all happen. Clark giving up his power in Superman II should have given them a clue how to do it. I think they THINK they weren’t making a superhero movie. I can just see the pitch as “it’s a movie about truth and the superhero is second” but they just plain didn’t make a good movie about that theme.
A lot of people praise Diana and Steve but to me it always had a layer of creepiness. I still don’t know if other people saw Steve or they saw the Cavill impersonator. I know she eventually questioned it but she just accepted it that night and they moved straight to bed a little too quickly. Not a complaint for any conservative reason I just feel like there was more reason to explore the craziness of “boom guy in a waist pack (name banned) at a museum gala who then morphs into someone else”. Why did nukes and cows and a giant wall materialize out of thin air but Steve took over a body?
They really missed an opportunity to show Barbara’s transformation besides her rapidly increasing collection of coats. And did Max give her a second wish? Maybe they thought it would be scary but there really needed to be a wolfman esque scene at the end.
And the lasso. Sigh, the lasso. It came across as just their answer to “how would Diana do this? Lasso.”
I’m sure I will watch it again just because but I feel like I would skip every scene with Max.
I’m sure there will be a third and I hope it’s more action oriented.
And can we ask all filmmakers to abandon the “hero loses power and discovers the power within” plot device?

8 Likes

Agreed on both points here @SWhite

4 Likes

I had similar problems as far as action. To be fair, the 1st one was also a slow build. However, the parts between the action were great (1st one)… 84’ action scenes were great, but they were few & far between. The in-between parts were boring. I need to do a 2nd viewing, & I did go in with thru the roof expectations which always makes the movie seem lesser than. But, after reading the comments above. They were the exact same review, (& reasons for my review) that I gave my friend who doesn’t have HBO Max & asked me what I thought of it last night. So, I guess it wasn’t just me?

3 Likes

I am also really surprised the hate its getting, and I apologize if I get really defensive here as well. For me, the film was far more emotional than I was expecting it and that matters a lot to me. I will be watching it again and again.

Pros

• Steve’s farewell (Gal has improved so much! In my opinion at least)
  • Hans Zimmer’s Score (particularly, the reference to Beautiful Lies!)
  • Diana losing her powers was really impactful to me
  • Steve/Diana fighting together
  • Romantic comedy sequences
  • Maxwell Lord’s love for his son
  • Barbara’s introduction
  • Wishes come true scene (When the Irishmen said “drop dead” that hurt!)
  • Cheetah revealed
  • Cairo Action Sequence
  • Mall Action Sequence
  • Return of the Amazons!
  • Diana’s civilian clothes

Cons

• Wishing stone plot is a bit nebulous where the rules aren’t always clear (Seems rather lame if I’m honest)
  • Action sequences are really far apart which I think contributes to some pacing complaints
  • No transformation sequence for Barbara!
  • Invisible plane seemed out of nowhere

As said in my first post, not a perfect film and I sympathize with those feeling disappointed in its structure, pacing, and ending. I acknowledge that tighter script was needed, but in my eyes the emotional beats were so powerful, so well done, I’m unable to fault the film too much. Happy Holidays everyone!

11 Likes

I haven’t seen the first movie in a long time, but I never usually have great expectations for sequels. I thoroughly enjoyed this one. It was so stylistically “80s” to an extreme level that was sometimes distracting, but obviously intentional. The two villain characters, Barbara and Max, I felt were very three-dimensional. They both had their heroic moments. Ultimately the “moral” of the story was so well done, so emotional, and very timeless. In contrast to the reviews I’ve read where they complain the message is political, I’d argue that “be careful what you wish for” is a classic warning. Everyone can relate to being tempted with getting things that they want without having to work for them. It was interesting to see this come up in a superhero movie. I think a lot of us would want to magically have superpowers. But WW actually defeated her villain of the day with nothing but the power of love and truth. That’s why I think this was good writing. It’s different, but different is good.

Also this movie had some amazing visuals, omg. Flying through fireworks, come on. It was mesmerizing.

6 Likes

I saw it last night and to be honest I was very disappointed. It reminded me of those silly Christopher Reeve Superman movies. The plot was convoluted, the dialogue rambled and the setting made no sense. I won’t go too deep into it as many might not have seen it yet.

2 Likes

I liked the score

Link

Is Patty and Gal with the musicians. Looked liked they had fun

5 Likes

@OldDirtyGamer.8933, Welcome , Enjoy, and Have Fun! :partying_face:

1 Like