Worst of the Worst

You know what I can’t stand? Alan Grant’s Detective Comics run from the late '80s and early '90s (and Batman: Shadow of the Bat, to the extent that I’ve read it). The guy knows how to write two stories: A drug PSA, and a political tract, and his political tracts are always really shallow. So are the drug PSAs, really.

1 Like

Noted X-Men scribe Chris Claremont had a stint on JLA some years ago, with the main baddie being a vampire named “Crucifer”. It was not great. While it was neat to see Superman hitting him with a cross and saying that the power came from the faith and not the object itself, the overall story just didn’t grab me.

But that wasn’t nearly as bad as the follow up story, “Pain of the Gods”, by Chuck Austin. Some Leaguers felt out of character, like Lantern and Flash being so nonchalant about Wonder Woman’s near death experience, because hey, energy construct video game! It was just–so bad, you guys.

3 Likes

@Mr_Morbach
Controversial opinion: Chris Claremont has never once written a good comic except for that Wolverine miniseries drawn by Frank Miller, which is awesome.

1 Like

I should probably add Dark Knight Strikes Again… that was rough

2 Likes

I don’t regret the time I spent reading All-Star Batman and Robin because it was HILARIOUSLY terrible. Like, I truly believe it’s the worst comic ever written. It’s ridiculously bad, and I highly recommend.

4 Likes

Dark Knight Strikes Again and All Star Batman and Robin are on the top of my list, but that’s not much of a surprise.

Morrison is usually hit or miss with me. But the add something new set the conversation; most of the new 52 was pretty pointless. Superman books in particular, because they wrote off the character entirely.

3 Likes

Much as I love the vast majority of his work, Peter David’s Aquaman run does nothing for me. The humor in particular falls flat, trying way too hard to be a kind of broad, macho style that never felt natural from PAD.

Heroes in Crisis

Final Crisis

Heroes in Crisis

JLA Act of God

Heroes in Crisis

Rock of Ages

Heroes in Crisis

Hush

Heroes in Crisis

1 Like

The New 52 Birds of Prey. Though Gail Simone’s second run wasn’t as great as it should have been, and was mostly a strong disappointment, ending with the fairly dreadful Andreyko two-part arc flashback story, the New 52 managed to take that low bar and go clear under it by a mile. Art changes incredibly early in the run, thinly written characters who came and went without reason, and above all, plot threads dropped so hard they should have sunk the book in a year. Instead, it limped on for three to no good purpose.

The Azzarello Birds of Prey 100 page one shot (basically a five issue miniseries that was apparently supposed to be a Dark Multiverse ongoing) is a close second. Except that Lupacchino’s art was truly gorgeous, so it avoids the art shift problem.

1 Like

I was about to say that I loved it, but I kept reading your post and I fully understand why you would think that, especially with the LexCorp news at the beginning

1 Like

Soooo is now a bad time to tell you that this is my second favorite Justice League story?

1 Like

I’m gonna be the one who says it.

Tiny Titans.

It was so boring it actually made me refuse to read a single comic until I was 14 because, reading it at such a young age and hating it, made me think I hated all comics, not just Tiny Titans.

That was one of the most confusing explanations I’ve given (I think) so I’ll rephrase if asked

1 Like

Only if it makes you a worse person or something. There is nothing bad with enjoying it.

1 Like

Made sense to me.

1 Like