World of Wonder | Wonder Woman (Series 1975) DISCUSSION

:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Another week, another episode discussion! This time, we’ll be talking episode 4. Share your thoughts!

If you haven’t watched Season 1, Episode 4 - Beauty on Parade yet, make sure you do then come back here and let us know what you thought!

Join us for the episode 5 watch-along this upcoming Sunday 2020-03-30T01:00:00Z

2 Likes

We had our first flash on the change. Plus some sound effects when using her abilities.

3 Likes

Apparently, this was Lynda Carter’s idea.

2 Likes

what was? the flash? or the spin?

3 Likes

The burst of light.

2 Likes

I thought it was the spin. The more you know…

2 Likes

I liked that it was about sabotage and a concerted effort to derail the US war effort. I thought it was weird that Mr Monty Burns (no relation) told his beauty contest partner that the whole thing was about assassinating General Eisenhower. He didn’t even say if he was working for the Nazis or some other anti US group. unless i missed it?

As to why Diana Prince is more Plain Jane vs the beauty of Wonder Woman, i am going to go with the comic book logic of the alter ego being less than the hero. Without the belt, braceletes, satin tights, etc., she is somehow less …shiny than in full costume. Or like a Tardis chameleon circuit.

2 Likes

I know she came up with the spin, but I don’t think she came up with the flash. That was a necessity of editing and time constraints.

2 Likes

I just can’t get over the fact that episode 4 is pretty much the entire plot of Miss Congeniality. I believe it was @Jay_Kay that pointed it out during the watch-along, but maybe the writer for that movie was a Wonder Woman fan. :joy:

3 Likes

All that was missing was the other girls catching Diana talking to Steve and she waves it off as some creepy stalker, and then using him as a breathing instruction dummy to demonstrate self-defense skills on stage. :laughing:

3 Likes

First appearance of Wonder Girl. While she’s no Donna Troy, it does work for the show. Hippolyta likes having kids apparently.

I think i prefer the sporty white outfits over the yellow number Drusilla was wearing.

2 Likes

Episode 5 was a lot of fun. We get to finally meet this version of Wonder Girl as well as see some familiar actors. I really enjoyed getting to see John Saxon. I know him from A Nightmare on Elm Street. Hippolyta also gets an actress change. I can’t wait to watch the conclusion of this story next week.

What were some things you enjoyed about this episode?

1 Like

I enjoyed everything, but one thing is disappointing. I would love to have seen the Wonder Girl series actually happen. The character was completely different from the comic, but it was a great take and an interesting twist making her Diana’s actual sister. I do have to admit that Debra Winger has the clumsiest spin change ever. I need to research, don’t know if the WG series didn’t happen because she bought herself out of the contract or if they passed on the series before the fallout…

2 Likes

The take on Wonder Girl was interesting—wondering why they opted for that change (spoilers for anyone who may not have watched yet)…her tiny lasso and awkward spin were adorable. I think they did that on purpose so we know she’s not Diana’s equal. They switched Hippolytas like they switched the Beckies or the Darrens, but I’m always happy to see the Amazons. Otherwise I don’t have a fully formed opinion yet since it’s a 2 parter. Can’t wait to see how it ends!

Oh and, I know it’s not a red turtleneck, but he IS moustachioed & wearing a cravat. You’re welcome. :wink:

2 Likes

there will be another Wonder Girl arc. and true to form, it will be a 2 parter.

2 Likes

Screenshot_2020-03-31 wonder woman and wonder girl 1976 - Google Search

Wonder Girl made my little geek universe better.

3 Likes

Debra Winger appeared in 3 episodes, this 2 parter and the season finale, “Wonder Woman in Hollywood”

3 Likes

I thought the season finale was a two parter. or it is, but Wonder Girl is only featured in the second part.

2 Likes

Nope, it is just 1 part.

1 Like

I have to defer to the greater knowledge. I am also just looking forward to it playing out, hence why I have been so psyched for this particular watchalong.

2 Likes