[World of Wonder] WONDER WOMAN '77 (2015-) #1-6 & WONDER WOMAN (2016-) #54 ✨

@biff_pow Oh, I didn’t know about Wunday! That’s great. I was thinking of doing a watch-along for this series, but if y’all already started it, that’s great.

1 Like

I should explain more: the term came from watching Criminal Minds. Because Derek Morgan is the action man I think of since it was that character that became the muse to the term “action man”.

2 Likes

i am still being too cryptic; Derek Morgan of Criminal Minds was the inspiration to the term “action man” (love of all things comic book aside).

2 Likes

Oh no, @nu52, I was just thinking you were too busy with your book clubs! If you have time to host a WW WAL too, I’d love to join you!

1 Like

Gotta second/third/whatever-d the Marc Andreyko love. His Manhunter was great, and his current run on Supergirl looks good too. Even his Batwoman run, which got a lot of undue heat for being after JH Williams left the book I thought was honestly way better than the previous run.

2 Likes

Until I figure out how to post a pic… in issue 6, pg 6/23. it is the woman with the thin red tie. she is behind someone i do not recognize and next to Giganta is the one from season 1.

the second arc also had more of that always an amazon tone. I did like that her attempt to change did nothing. And then later, the tattered clothes exposing the suit. At the end of this arc, i had to fight the urge to go onto next issue of this run.

1 Like

@AntLeon Yeah, that’s the person I figured you were talking about. I didn’t recognize her or the person that looked like Darth Vader.

That was a favorite moment of mine, when the armor is revealed to have been with her the entire time.

@biff_pow Co-hosts? I think I’ve only seen the first two episodes so it would be fun to finally watch it all the way through.

1 Like

@Jay_Kay Batwoman has been on my radar, but knowing Andreyko had a run suddenly moves that book up plenty of spots on my “to read” list. I enjoy the fact that he is able to deliver two different books (Manhunter/WW '77) with such differing tones that are both quality reads.

1 Like

@nu52 I’ll be the sub, so if you ever need to take a week off, I’ll fill in :grin:

1 Like

Hey, I’m late again!

WONDER WOMAN '77

At first the page shape and limited panels per page threw me, but once I figured out that three issues were supposed to have about the same content as a single regular issue, I actually thought these stories were very well-paced, which is the first time I’ve ever thought that about literally any book published in the last decade or so. It’s been forever since I’ve seen the show, but the tone is reasonably similar to what little I remember of it. Even not really remembering the source material, it’s still a really fun read, certainly not hurt by some great art.

And heck, I appreciated Steve’s chest hair in the first one and I don’t even like guys. Would it be going too far to say that that arc was a good one for chest aficionados of all shapes and sizes? That would probably be going too far, so I won’t say it.

I didn’t like the second arc quite as much, actually. I think it’s mostly just personal taste, but I dislike plots that generate conflict from awkwardness and confusion (in-universe, that is, though the same could be said for ones that generate awkwardness and confusion for the reader, like a Grant Morrison story), like with Diana running around having people not think she’s Wonder Woman. I guess it doesn’t feel like it is true conflict, so much as just unpleasantness, so I feel more stress than tension, if that makes sense. Which it probably doesn’t, because stress and tension are synonyms. I enjoyed it more after she broke out and had to deal with Dr. Psycho, though.

I haven’t read anything by Andreyko. Manhunter is on my list for when my big read-through finally makes it up to the '00s, though. If these stories were indicative of his talent, then I’m looking forward to it.

Uh, question… Ooh! I’ve got it! Why is the fact that Silver Swan’s yell is written as “Ayayayayaya!” the funniest thing in the world?

1. We’ve spent weeks reading about the Bana-Mighdall in multiple Wonder Woman stories. Now, we finally get to see them. Did they live up to expectations?

Kinda? I mean, as set up by the 2016 series, they live up to expectations in that they’re even more unpleasant than Artemis. As set up by the 1987 series, they live up to expectations in that they’re roughly consistent with how Perez wrote them, so nothing surprised me all that much here.

1. What do you make of the conflict between the Bana-Mighdall and the nation of Qurac?

You know, I was about to respond to this, and then I started running the whole thing through in my head. For the life of me, I can’t remember why they’re fighting. I know it was something to do with the Bana-Mighdall settling in one place permanently, but I have no idea why that necessitates a war with Qurac.

OK, on further review of the issue, they’re basically just taking Rustam’s word for it that Qurac is the aggressor. Coming from a guy who has a pretty clear vendetta against Qurac who is asking you to go kill lots of Quracis, that’s a pretty big thing to just trust.

1. What is your opinion of Faruka? Is she someone you’d like to see more of?

Well, it was really bizarre how Artemis suddenly became a voice of reason the moment there was someone else who could be the designated jerk. I found Faruka to be a fairly typical overzealous leader character. She served her function adequately, but was not specifically compelling beyond that fact.

1 Like

Disco Steve took away from the show vibes.

1 Like

@BatJamags Love your assessment of WW '77. If you were to say that about the first arc, I wouldn’t say you’d gone too far :slight_smile:

I can see what you mean about the second story from WW '77. I just loved the wondrous cameos. I was having way too much fun with all of the familiar faces popping up.

The Silver Swan’s power being depicted like that actually made me think of Arrow (if any of y’all watch) when Laurel was Black Canary and used her necklace, but it didn’t produce visible sonic cries.

I see why Artemis might be the way she is after seeing the Bana-Mighdall.

I’m pretty sure they were fighting for the flimsiest of reasons (something about Qurac eventually trying to take them out), but really it was just Faruka wanting to establish a Bana-Mighdall state. The queen might think that if Qurac no longer views them as nomads just passing by, they’d eventually want to get them out of their nation. Faruka probably realizes that it could be threatening to have a warrior race trying to settle right next door and she wants to strike first. I’m just spit balling here.

I did find Rustam’s powers to be cool. Those fire swords with the power of the sun looked great on the alternate cover when Wonder Woman was holding them. I’m actually a bit interested in reading Rustam’s Suicide Squad story line.

Yeah, narratively she was okay. It’s still cool to see another Amazon queen. When she shot Atalanta out of nowhere, that shocked me. I did like how the person on colors made Faruka’s gold body chains look like they were lit up similar to the lasso in some scenes.

1 Like

@biff_pow Deal!

Thank you everyone for stopping by for this book club! It was a lot of fun :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hope you don’t mind me going into #54 real quick before jumping onto the current week. :slight_smile:

“We’ve spent weeks reading about the Bana-Mighdall in multiple Wonder Woman stories. Now, we finally get to see them. Did they live up to expectations?”

They do work pretty well as a sort of foil or twist on what the Amazons could have been. I don’t know if this is the best way to first see them in terms of this club, because I feel like this was written with more hardcore fans of the character in mind, that Orlando assumed that anyone reading this have probably been introduced to them at least a time or two before this.

“What do you make of the conflict between the Bana-Mighdall and the nation of Qurac?”

It’s interesting – I get the feeling that Orlando is trying to use this as a metaphor for current conflicts in the Middle East, but I don’t know how well it’s going to work.

“What is your opinion of Faruka? Is she someone you’d like to see more of?”

She works as villain who you can see their reasoning, but also see how a well-intentioned idea can twist into something monstrous.

1 Like

@Jay_Kay Course we don’t mind!

You really are just thrown into this conflict and get very little of the Bana-Mighdall before everything goes south. Orlando does seem to write like this on other works I’ve read of his. I could see where Faruka might have been coming from, but she really took things to the extreme.

I liked Faruka’s body chains as well