World of Wonder | Week 67 | Wonder Woman (1942-) #7 | Nov. 4-10

On future tech, my first question was if the typing device could read the secretary’s mind to move her fingers, why not just plug it straight into the typewriter?

3 Likes
  1. Which of the stories was your favorite?

Hmm…I think the first story with the prison escape was the most exciting. Something I really like from what I’ve read of these Golden Age Wondy stories is how each of the multiple stories are themed or even continuations of each other.

1. How did you feel about the supporting characters featured in these stories?

I guess they’re okay. It’s hard because since you know this is all not going to show up in future stories, it’s hard to really care about, say, Mistress President or Warden Dear since they’re basically incidental.

Of course, there’s Steve and Etta. I thought Steve was interesting in how he ran for President against Diana because he believed in the potential of good in the people he was helping before he was betrayed. Etta was pretty good in this one too – not a lot of fat jokes thrown her way in this one, she was pretty strong and dependable in her own way.

1. Were there any standout moments for you?

Like someone else said, the election process was kind of funny to read with everything that’s been going on in the real world.

2 Likes

It was an earlier time.

I like the future secretary uniform. Makes the Star Trek Original Series cosmic cheerleader outfit almost prudish

2 Likes

But Steve on hot pants I can do without​:flushed:

1 Like

:open_mouth: :pleading_face:

1 Like

I knew some would disagree with may take on Steve’s lack of pants.

1 Like

I liked that story the most as well, and probably for the same reasons. The Election Day that never ends definitely added to the whole experience of reading this book. It’s wild how a story written that long ago is strongly mirroring something happening currently.

Also, thank you for joining the conversation this past week. :wonderwoman:

2 Likes

I almost forgot!

Hippolyta (is she named?) is neither blonde nor brunette. I always thought brown hair was called auburn. I hope i didn’t make that up.

2 Likes

Brown and brunette are the same thing. Auburn is shades of red.

Then black hair is just …black?

1 Like

No, black hair is just dark brown hair technically. It falls under brunette.

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying that.

1 Like

Huh. I learned something today. :smiley:

1 Like

Really, never thought of someone with black hair as being a brunette

1 Like

I’m honestly shocked by this. What did you all call people with dark brown hair before? I mean, if someone actually has black hair then it’s from dye and in that case you would just say they have black hair I suppose.

People with lighter brown hair would just have light-brown hair, but I figured Hippolyta’s hair is still dark since the lighter parts we see are just highlights like the blue in Diana’s hair not actually indicating her hair is blue.

1 Like

Black hair (naturally not dyed) or raven. I get that it’s just really dark brown, and I’m sure you’re right but I bet if you polled guys if black hair is brunette, 90% would say no.

1 Like

That’s wild. In the past I would have said I’m not sure about 90%, but now I’m questioning that. I guess it’s not really something people really use outside of referring to fictional characters in books, TV shows, movies, etc.

1 Like

I always called the black which is really dark brown brunette. it was the lighter browns than i had misnamed auburn. And when it comes to reds, i like the British ‘ginger’.

2 Likes

This is hair naming anarchy. Don’t forget bleach blonde, blonde, strawberry blonde, dishwater blonde. I also think there’s a difference between auburn and red. Auburn to me is the darker brownish red, while red is closer to orange. But, I’ve also picked up the British ‘ginger’ over the years. I believe would should all agree to adopt ‘ginger’

1 Like

no matter the red, light or dark, is ginger. no exceptions

2 Likes