World of Wonder | Week 57 | Kingdom Come #1-2 | Aug. 26 - Sep. 1

World of Wonder Week 57!

:sparkles: 1 Year of Wonder :sparkles:

:star: :partying_face: :star: :confetti_ball: :star:

World of Wonder continues to celebrate 1 Year of Wonder ! In this last week we tackle the first two issues of Kingdom Come. Join us as we explore the world Mark Waid and Alex Ross have created.

:star: :tada: :star: :birthday: :star:

When: 2020-08-26T07:00:00Z2020-09-01T07:00:00Z

What to read: KINGDOM COME

:star2:DISCUSSION QUESTIONS

1. What is your opinion on the art? Favorite moments?

2. What are some of your favorite moments in the narrative?

3. How do you feel about the Justice League in this alternate reality?

:nerd_face: Share your thoughts on the reading overall and let’s discuss :nerd_face:

Questions or concerns? Reach out @Nu52 :inbox_tray:

Click HERE to get a cool flair and join the club

Watch and track #world-of-wonder to keep up to date with all club events

1 Like

Is this your first time reading Kingdom Come?

• Yes
  • No
  • Maybe so

0 voters

I’m probably not going to get this reading done in time, but I’m going to definite read it. (Gotta finish JLD from last week). But it’s all good.

1 Like

No worries! They are pretty long issues. I was thinking of only doing 1, but we’ll be doing the other 2 issues either next week or the week after. It will give you more time to read it.

1 Like

Ah, Kingdom Come, aka Boomers V Millenials: Dawn of Alex Ross. :laughing:

Seriously though, looking forward to rereading this one. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That description :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

the perfect excuse to re-read this. even if i am behind. A lot of SuperWonder ship moments. I also like like this version of Batman.

3 Likes

I’m guessing this is the 4th time I’ve read this, maybe. Of course, half the draw of reading this is Ross’ art.
Every panel has something you didn’t notice before or that makes you think. You can spend five minutes just on this restaurant scene. Love that Sugar and Spike are on the tv

Or you get something as mind-blowing as the Spectre coming through the church’s stained glass windows.

The story itself is still holding up for me, generally. But, I always have to think about whether I believe the two sides would actually oppose each other whenever superheroes square off. Never bought that Capt. America would oppose registration in Marvel’s Civil War, but so far I’m okay with this but it does rely on the old “Batman is a stubborn jerk” idea.
Also, not sure about the narrative framing device of the Spectre and the minister. Is that necessary to tell this story? Don’t know.
Style report: Totally dig Wonder Woman’s outfit. Also, the Ross has made her a little thicker in the middle, like age catches up to all of us, even Amazons, eventually.

2 Likes

If I remember correctly, Ross based Norman’s appearance after his father, so it’s possible there’s some personal significance to him for Ross.

I also think it’s a good way to not only be able to see all the sides to the conflict, but also have color commentary from the more everyman perspective of Norman, who becomes way more important in terms of the plot in the second half.

On one hand, I agree, though on the other I wonder just how practical it is. I mean, that kind of thing doesn’t necessarily bother me most of the time, but whenever I see it, part of me can’t help but think, “Man, one good gust of wind and Diana’s gonna be showing off way more than she probably intended.” :joy:

2 Likes
  1. What is your opinion on the art? Favorite moments?

I like it for the most part – I feel like at times Ross’ art can be a little too stiff, but I think it works for big stories like this.

1. What are some of your favorite moments in the narrative?

Perhaps it’s the biased part of me, or maybe it’s because they throw the most unique monkey wrench in the story, but I think I’ll go with Batman and his faction of characters.

I think the other big narrative moment I liked in this story was the Justice League finding Magog. Between explaining just how Superman faded away, Magog’s grief in his actions that destroyed Kansas, and Superman’s reaction, and the question from that moment of just what does he do with Magog…truly well done.

1. How do you feel about the Justice League in this alternate reality?

Their intentions are good, but as we can see even in this initial first half of the story, we start to see their actions become more and more morally grey.

2 Likes

Think your comment about Ross’ work being stiff at Time rings true. It’s beautiful but tends to feel posed and lacks the feeling of movement.

1 Like

But Ross’ style carries the emotion(s). Reaction shots in particular.

2 Likes

Yep, facial expressions A+

1 Like

Okay, I have to take this back because when I further read the second issue, it looks like there is an undergarment under the loincloth with the same kind of blue and white star pattern. An…interesting choice, maybe Ross is basing it off of Greek/Roman styles that might have been around before Themyskira isolated itself?

1 Like