World of Wonder | Week 36 | Wonder Twins '19 #1 + Legend of Wonder Woman '15 #7-12 | Apr. 1-7

This is Belgium fries, but same thing

1 Like

the steak fries i am thinking of are wider. like a plank of wood, but only potato

1 Like

:joy: :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

I still havenā€™t read the Flinstoneā€™s. I pretty much have to figure out a way to incorporate it into this club or I donā€™t make time for it :sob:

I have to be honest, I had this as an April Foolā€™s yolk and didnā€™t even know Wonder Woman was in the issue. I really liked seeing the Trinity here and their little anecdotes were such a highlight.

I would be down to read more Wonder Comics if yā€™all werenā€™t opposed to it. Maybe just one issue at a time. Cassie is a big part of a certain team book under the Wonder Comics banner atferall.

And yes, the Bee Gees must always be protected.

3 Likes

Now back to your regularly scheduled fry discussion :relaxed:

2 Likes

However you like, O Wonderful Leader!

2 Likes

Iā€™m just sad that Diana didnā€™t divulge some embarassing story from her days as a teenager on Paradise Island. Unless she did and Iā€™m rapidly losing my sanity ā€“ which is very possible! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

What do you mean? Her story was literally three pages long and all of the Amazons laughed at her when she fell trying to catch the griffin. Sometimes when I read on desktop the pages skip, but maybe you need to go back and reread it because that one was my favorite!

1 Like

ā€¦I was 90% sure you were pulling another prank, but I checked anyway. Soā€¦

2 Likes

Is this your introduction to the Wonder Twins or had you discovered them before?

I mostly knew of them. I havenā€™t really watched Super Friends (I honestly never really could get into any of the cartoons from that era). Probably the closest Iā€™ve gotten to reading them in the past is Wendy, a human analogue of Jayna, from Brian Q Millerā€™s run of Batgirl. To be perfectly honest, those characters as a concept usually do the opposite of getting my attention.

But, Mark Russell has with his work on The Flintstones and Exit Stage Left: The Snagglepuss Chronicles has become one of those creators where if heā€™s involved with something, Iā€™ll at least try it out sooner or later, so here we are. :smiley:

What do you most like about the dynamic between Zan and Jayna?

Like others have said, they really felt like an authentic brother and sister ā€“ at least as far as my only child self can tell. There was love, but also a little competition and mutual griefing.

Was anything in this issue truly unexpected as the description of the issue said?

Sadly, the ā€œBee Geeā€ moment I do remember being shown around a lot when this issue came out on the Reddits and such, so that part didnā€™t shock me. It is still pretty funny, though. The way the twins took out Mxy was surprising, though!

Are you looking forward to World of Wonder reading more Wonder Comics?

I mean, Iā€™ll definitely keep up on the issues as they come out here, most def. Iā€™m looking forward to seeing what Russell does with these characters ā€“ especially since heā€™s just as able to do great tragedy with his characters as well as comedy.

2 Likes

Same. I used to watch some people on Youtube that would always do the activating fist bump before their podcast. Iā€™m also still in the Wendy and Marvin part of Super Friends, so Iā€™m not sure when the twins show up. Iā€™m working through it extrememly slowly, like an episode a month :sweat_smile:

The Snagglepuss book is seriously such a gem. With BoJack having finished, DC Universe really should do an animated Snagglepuss adapting Exit Stage Left in that BoJack style.

I didnā€™t think that would work. Why doesnā€™t the JL just have a recording of that stashed away at all times?

That would be cool! Or if thatā€™s not viable since itā€™s not a strictly DC property, Iā€™d love to see them adapt and possibly continue his Prez storyline.

Probably for that reason ā€“ they didnā€™t think it would work!

1 Like

Hanna-Barbera is owned by WB, so at the very least, we could see it over on HBO Max. Warner Bros. were supposed to start a H-B shared universe with Scoob! Though, I imagine that might be less ā€œall agesā€ which is why I think it would fit better on HBO Max/DC Universe as a show rather than a theatrical release.

Havenā€™t read Prez, but now I gotta.

1 Like

Season 2.

Mxy: as i understand it, it shouldnā€™t have worked. Heā€™s got to say it.

1 Like

Batman and Dianaā€™s reactions to the Twinsā€™ abilities is very on point. Why can she change into animals and he into water? I remember reading a superfriends comic and Jayna used her changeling abilities to change her appearence in order to blend at the school they were going to. Zan had to use conventional methods to disguise himself. It was mostly about the ears, but in this i think they are out and proverbially proud.

the W&M stuff is more cartoony in its antics. like a montage of getting chased, complete with the usual tom & jerry -esque sounds. And the Wonder Dog miming when heā€™s sent to get help. When i last watched, I was trying to figure out what kind of dog he is.

3 Likes

Is this your introduction to the Wonder Twins or had you discovered them before?
I hadnā€™t seen them since I was wee, so Iā€™m counting this as our first meeting.

What do you most like about the dynamic between Zan and Jayna?
Theyā€™re accurately like twins. As I mentioned, I am a twin. Twin=built in BFF. We donā€™t really bickerā€”too much empathy.

Was anything in this issue truly unexpected as the description of the issue said?
Not really. :thinking: I enjoy variation and I knew it would be a fresh take. What was ā€˜unexpectedā€™ was how much I laughed. It felt irreverentā€”def amusing. The random panel of Flash w/ his hummus platter (clearly heā€™s after my heart) and Zanā€™s intro to his class really set the tone! Points for sassy-Diana :laughing:, and Bee Gee. Good times.

Are you looking forward to World of Wonder reading more Wonder Comics?
I wouldnā€™t turn it down. Whatever you say, boss, :facepunch:t3: @nu52

3 Likes

Was there anything about this retelling of Dianaā€™s origins and the tournament that made it worth revisiting for you?
I did like that it played out the way it always plays out. I liked this version of elimination, a mist free-for-all.

What do you think of this version of Etta Candy?
I am going to take a chance and you may take it the wrong way if you like: Yum!

With the story shifting from Themyscira to Manā€™s World, what are you most looking forward to in future issues?
Diana wearing blonde Lytaā€™s gifts.
The fate of Steve Trevor (And if he is a steVen or a stePhen).
The fate of Alcippe

So far, i like the classic elements and their introduction. And how they mesh within this iteration and its marked differences. The division of immortality, the infecting darkness, the political treachery and intrigue.

Was there anything about this retelling of Dianaā€™s origins and the tournament that made it worth revisiting for you?
The tournament is always worth revisiting as far as Iā€™m concerned. Loved that it was a rainy and foggy battle to submission. That mace to the face was brutal, btw!

What do you think of this version of Etta Candy?
Iā€™ve never really disliked any version of Etta, tbh. I prefer her when sheā€™s savvy and tenacious, so this version didnā€™t disappoint. I like that she wants to be Ella Fitzgerald because, I mean, who doesnā€™t? (Sheā€™s more of a Doris Day, tho). They wrote her w/ enough modernity and charisma to play nicely off of Diana, whose salt-of-the-Earth sincerity and fortitude always makes me happy.

With the story shifting from Themyscira to Manā€™s World, what are you most looking forward to in future issues?
All of it. Iā€™m buckled in for the ride to the finish line!

1 Like

I traveled back here from the future to talk about Legend of Wonder Woman 7-12 which I somehow missed first time around. One of the things I loved about this batch is the real Greek epic feel it had. Tournaments, gods interfering, fates set, long journeys through strange lands. Itā€™s kinda of like a long odyssey, just like The Odyssey. These two panels, even before the action begins really set the tone for the tourney.

I also thought Hippolyta was such a strong element to the story from her burdens as queen to her burdens as mother.

What do I think of this version of Etta? Well, Iā€™ve been known to complain about Etta being the butt of jokes, or being dull. This Etta, I absolutely love. Curvy short girl full of sass and fun, but you know when the chips are down Etta is not going to run from a fight.

Random final thought. Werewolf and Vampire Nazis I believe, but Northwest woods Bigfoot is too much a crunchy granola hippie type to ever fall for that junk.

Now, if I can get this thing working again, I can return to my proper time.

1 Like

To be fair, you most likely missed it because of my silly April Fools prank where I was claiming we wouldnā€™t be reading Wonder Woman and instead the club would become a Wonder Comics Club.

That tournament was epic. It felt much more dire than previous versions because of Antiopeā€™s sect. Hippolyta was portrayed really well in these issues. She made a lot of sense in terms of motivations, etc.

This whole series, Iā€™ve been thinking, ā€œmsgtv will like this Etta.ā€

1 Like

Ah, you know my Etta issues. Love this Etta, you go girl.

1 Like