World of Wonder | Week 31 | Nu'Bia & Wonder Woman TV Crossover | Feb. 26 - Mar. 3

Yeah, it’s just a gift, but clearly Bruce was designing it and getting it all setup for Dick. Part of him wanted to come back. Wonder Woman being his inspiration at multiple points in his life to pick up the super heroics was a nice touch.

Nightwing, Batwoman (Gordon), and Bruce all having good relationships was the highlight of those final issues for me.

Thanks @nu52! Even though I can’t always participate in the reading, I always enjoy it. It really helps to make sure I’m reading outside my box.
I too would LOVE to know why the Gorgons gave her that power. (Medusa is one of my favorite characters in mythology)
So was I the only one that kept thinking, “For the love of all things, she doesn’t HAVE to have a man to find meaning!” It was a small thing (even though it was a big part of the story) but having her try to leave civilisation and join the Amazons all to escape men felt like a bit… much. But having her find a new family? Sisters that not only could understand her, but appreciate her? A woman she could call mother? I see sooo much potential there, but again it could just be me :blush:

Have you read or heard about Nubia/Nu’Bia before?

Before this, the only time I really read Nubia in any media was the version that Grant Morrison made for books like Final Crisis, New 52 Action Comics and The Multiversity from Earth 23.

I had heard of her before that, but more because of the possibly awkward name as part of DC’s many awkward attempts to try to make the DC roster of heroes more diverse around that time, along with characters like Tyroc of the Legion of Super-Heroes.

What did you enjoy about Nu’Bia in these stories?

Her costume was kinda cool. The stone thing was an odd but surprising addition to her power-set. …That’s about it, honestly. I was super-bored with these two issues if I was perfectly honest. I can’t say there was anything truly bad about that story, but not much stood out to me either.

Reading this I couldn’t help but think “Man if this is the character we’re going to follow as the new Wonder Woman in 5G, I don’t know if I’ll be into it.”

The Supergirl issue was okay, though really in terms of Nubia she’s just kind of there as a damsel in distress. I did find it interesting that Supergirl here flirted with being an Amazon, it feels like a precedent for how Kara would later train with the Amazons later on when DC would bring her back in Superman/Batman.

Which moments were some of your favorites?

Like others have said, the moment where Blue Ice is confessing who she was as she was dying was interesting. The idea of how she was taken out was kind of clever.

What were the most enjoyable parts of this crossover between the Adam West Batman and Lynda Carter Wonder Woman?

There was a lot to love with this, mostly the epic scale of it all, spanning 40 years, truly seeing the characters grow and evolve over that time. It was serious enough where it felt like there was stakes, but was still fun to read.

Which time period did you most enjoy? Why?

GIMMIE MORE BATMAN '77. I just thought it was so cool to see an extrapolation of where that kind of goofy but serious world could go in 10 years, and I would love to see further adventures of Batman, Nightwing and Batwoman.

Favorite depiction of a supporting cast member that made an appearance?

Catwoman was definitely a highlight, seeing her change as the years went on, and being good enough to hang with the heroes, but still just devious enough to make their interactions fun. I also liked the idea of Talia being this would be childhood friend of Bruce’s.

1 Like

I always enjoy reading your thoughts!

I hear you on the Supergirl story. I think that because Supergirl’s reasonings for retreating were misguided, the only option was for her to return to the world beyond Paradise Island.

1 Like

I’m surprised by this. There was enough happening in these issues that I was entertained throughout. Maybe it was because Diana was the only relatively “known” character in the issues?

Kara definitely does have an interesting history with the Amazons. If I were an Amazon, I’d feel weird about some stranger suddenly becoming Princess in a day while all of the rest have been there their whole lives. :joy:

Blue Ice and Dr. Echo reminded me of characters that would have been in the Static Shock animated show. I was really enjoying them :smiley:

Agree with everything you said about the WW/Bats crossover. I would read a Nightwing/Commissioner Batwoman series!

2 Likes

I thought it moved well enough. I would agree to disagree since a ‘dislike’ is just as valid as its opposite.

This is why i assumed I would remember Diana’s of color sister. And to be fair, my first Nebula was from the show Hercules as played by the very lovely Gina Torres.

2 Likes

Aww thanks! You’re too kind.

I completely agree. You phrased that perfectly. As much as I love the idea of her joining the Amazons on a more “permanent” basis, the issue really had to end with her going back. Staying on Paradise Island because she was tired of men would have tainted the whole thing. Not to sound… idk archaic, but it would have been a stain on her honor in a way, to have fled from her responsibilities for the sake of some disrespectful, dishonorable men.

2 Likes

Forgot to ask this last week, but did Diana and Nu’Bia kill this guy?

It looks like he got split in half :scream:

1 Like

I think the split guy in question is that innocent bystander that “finally won”.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s why I’m unsure if he died or not because he doesn’t show up again after. I would imagine Nu’Bia would be torn up about it if she was so devastated over Blue Ice (who was attacking them) since she wasn’t for senseless killing.

It sort of makes me wonder just how this was scripted – perhaps it was done in a more “Marvel method,” and the artist just added that as a gag to keep things interesting for them?

Considering what you said about Nu’Bia, I’m willing to just say the thrown Echo just brushes past the guy, which caused the money to fly away.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m guessing that might just be an action shot. Now that I’m remembering, I think I saw something similar, maybe in the Teen Titans book DC Pride read last month and the character ended up being fine. I wonder if it’s an aesthetic choice I’m just unfamiliar with.

And from what i got from it was that neither the allegedly split guy nor Dr Echo were killed.

Yeah, we know Dr. Echo was fine after this encounter. He’s in Hades “alive” I suppose.