[World of Wonder] SENSATION COMICS (1942-) #38 & DC REBIRTH HOLIDAY SPECIAL (2016-) #1

Yeah, but Superman had already teamed up with Santa, so…

2 Likes

I mean, have you seen how she’s always getting tied up? Clearly Diana’s been naughty! :joy:

@nu52, I don’t really notice it when I’m reading it, I think it only really shows up when I take pictures.

2 Likes

Well, it works as a message for the people and kids reading the comic. Plus, Santa teaming up with Supes just proves that he indeed needs to enlist the help of loving people everywhere so he can appear all over the world :slight_smile:

1 Like

Which was your favorite story in DC Rebirth Holiday Special?

I think my favorite one was with Superman and Batman with their kids. I really like the friendship between Jon and Damian and it was sweet seeing Damian get Jon the gift he wanted. :slight_smile:

What did you most enjoy about the stories featuring Wonder Woman (Diana), Donna Troy, and Wonder-Woman (Peng Deilan) in the Holiday Special?

The big story with Diana and Constantine was fun, though not very “holiday.” The stuff with her in Harley’s hosting was pretty fun, like the aforementioned panels of her talking about holidays on Themiskyra, glad this story makes it seem just as weird as probably kinky as it would have been in the Golden Age. :laughing:

The story with Donna and the Titans was okay – the idea of dealing with a car chase like that was interesting, not something you normally see with the Titans. I didn’t catch the villains’ names, though the fact that the girl kept calling the guy “Daddy” was…interesting. Were they father and daughter, or is the whole reading selection for the holiday season kinky and thirsty? Not that I mind.

The couple-pager with the Trinity of China was also neat – dealt with a holiday that I’m not really familiar with, which is kinda cool.

If you could wake up to DC Universe having any comic, movie, or TV show not currently on the service, which would it be?

Comics-wise…I’d love to see some of the Black Label books come in. Older series, some other ones that come to mind is Batman: Death in the Maidens, which I remember to be pretty good but not digitalized.

Movie…the fact that we’re losing so many of the ones already on here is kind of sad. Outside of that, stuff we don’t have already…I’d be curious to see the 80s Swamp Thing movie/TV show, even though from what I understand, they are absolutely terrible. Also, it would never happen, but Zack Snyder’s Justice League coming to DCU would be absolutely epic.

TV…one that’s curiously absent is the Beware the Batman animated series. I remember watching the first few episodes and finding it interesting.

2 Likes

Yeah, that was adorable and it was funny how Damian beat Clark to it.

Goodness, I hadn’t even questioned it :rofl: I just figured they were father/daughter, but now I want to know who they were. I didn’t recognize them, but I don’t know Titans that well. They did mention something about them wanting to kill Roy?

Yeah, I enjoyed that about this Holiday special. It covered more than just Christmas and was pretty interesting.

All good choices re: DCU content, Jay! I have also wanted to see the old Swamp Thing movie.

Sensation Comics 1942 #38 Thoughts

I had a blast reading this comic. Wonder Woman trying to make sure these kids have a love filled Christmas where they feel included was great. I appreciated that this story didn’t pull any punches when it came to depicting certain subject matters. It showed the conditions in which the family had to live and how they struggled financially, while in turn being vulnerable to the abuser because of those struggles.

The fib Diana tells is honestly precious. Of course Santa didn’t have their address because they had just moved, but he’ll be paying them a visit this time.

Wonder Woman’s aviator Santa look was really fun. Now, I like the Rebirth look with the red cape even more!

I gotta agree that seeing Wonder Woman’s display of strength was a highlight of this book. She just flung an entire jet like nothing.

The continuity with that possum/opossum being present throughout the issue was a lot of fun. You see it on the cover (I was wondering what little kid would want a stuffed possum and so I just kept noticing it every time) and then you see it in the plane and Diana’s gift sack.

I like that we get to see the lasso compelling Joe because people think the lasso only has the power to compel the truth out of people, but that’s not the case.

My favorite panels. I like Diana’s explanation of Santa using many forms. :snowflake::snowflake::snowflake:

2 Likes

What did you think of Wonder Woman’s adventure as Santa Claus in Sensation Comics?
It has the classic hero takes on the gift giver role so that the magic of Xmas is preserved. Plus the marston surrender and binding. There was also some snark that i was not expecting. i should go the extra effort and screen shot it.

I kind of liked the framework of the holiday special. But to pick one then The Titans story because new year’s is not about the resolutions, it’s ending a chapter so you can start a new one. The Supersons was definitely the most about Xmas spirit.

What did you most enjoy about the stories featuring Wonder Woman (Diana), Donna Troy, and Wonder-Woman (Peng Deilan) in the Holiday Special?
The picture posted above with Harley calling for eggnog was put into glorious context and that speech might have to be included in next year’s reveries. The Wonder Woman and Constantine one seemed more centered around Constantine such that Diana’s sole reason to be there is so he can say, ‘what’s a story like this doing around a hero like you?’ And Peng Deilan had some subtle snark to end their story.

If you could wake up to DC Universe having any comic, movie, or TV show not currently on the service, which would it be?
To fill the gaps currently present in the comic book library.

2 Likes

This one is tough. The Harley hosted party was fun. Black Canary and Zatanna were the MVP’s with their routine lasting that long. It was nice seeing villain and hero alike enjoying the festivities.

My favorite might just have to be the Detective Chimp story ft. Batman. It was great seeing the two great detectives interacting and I loved the art.

Just look at that cover :heart_eyes: It also had a satisfying story behind it :grinning:

I agree with Bobo. Cold in other places keeps me in L.A.

I really loved the art. I kept picturing this being an animated show in the same comedic style as a Dexter’s Laboratory.

Diana:

I enjoyed seeing Wonder Woman and Constantine interacting. It’s the earliest interaction between them chronologically that I’ve read of them. It was sort of a Rebirth JLD precursor.

Diana’s costume designed for the cold was neat (despite the plunging neckline which kind of defeats the purpose :rofl:)! I like how it was fuzzy. It took me longer than it should have to realize she was wearing pants and it wasn’t just shadowing.

Must note, I love the art here too! Colors are used extremely well.

Its conclusion was a little forgettable. but that shot of John with Santa was priceless. I didn’t mind that it was more Constantine focused because Diana is pretty present throughout the overarching story with Harley.

Also, this moment :cry:

Donna Troy:

I’m really liking Donna’s Rebirth suit. I actually like her New 52 suit, but her other suits never really looked that good. Her Wondergirl suit that was more teen Wonder Woman was okay, but this black one is much better than the sparkle galaxy black one, IMO. It was neat seeing her working alongside Garth and also seeing a little romance with Roy. It reminded me of the Titans TV show. I didn’t really know about Donna and Roy so that put it into perspective why that many people were excited to see Roy’s name in Donna’s phone.

Peng Deilan:

I love how many Wonder Women showed up in this Holiday Special. I expected to see Bats and Supers, but this was a nice surprise when I first read it. It’s also nice getting to see other holidays and learning a little about them. It definitely enriches the world building of DC. I had only read two, maybe three issues of this JL when the books first came out and now I want to read more.

I would have to go with HBO’s Watchmen. I want to watch it so badly, but am waiting for HBO Max. If it were to be here in the New Year before HBO Max launches, I’d be ecstatic.

Comic- Mera: Tidebreaker

Movie: JL Snydercut :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, if they could fill in the gaps for the Wonder Woman comics, I’d be so happy.

I’d love it if you did or just post the quotes because I’m having a :brain: :dash:

maybe snark is the wrong word

1 Like

OMG! I did love all of those quotes! Joe needed that and more.

I have my own wish list, but i’d rather a complete library whether i am reading the title or not.

This was a great moment. Made all the more better when “Al” was truly delighted to see Bobo

1 Like

I liked Al and Bobo’s interactions. It would be nice to get more of that in other books. I like how Bruce reacted when Alfred let Bobo into the cave and what followed

On the one hand, you have a dad trying to fill a Xmas wish, and not even Superman can defeat your average consumer. just when he thinks he’s failed, even Superman gets his Xmas miracle because Jon’s wish comes true. AFAIK, we don’t know who initiated the call, but i will assume it was Jon given than Damian is resisting the urge to make this Xmas the last of these “brightly colored cretins”.

This wish for normalcy made me think of Supergirl’s Superman wanting to live a normal life (before putting his infant son in a rocket…) in Crisis of CWverse. And the answer is yes, you can; so long as you recognize what is your normal, O Last Son of Krypton,

1 Like

Yeah, the Super looking for normal life always reminds me of Smallville’s Clark. In CW’s Crisis we even get to see how he finally got his wish.

:rainbow: :batman_hv_6: :clark_hv_4: :rofl: I’m just saying that after battling their rainbow demons the AHEM sent me

SOB Nora… !” should not have made me laugh, but…

This is THE cutest Krypto has ever been. I need an animated short focused on THIS Krypto.

Batman’s gifts were hilarious. I loved how everyone reacted to getting the text with his present.

Learning about the Celebratory Solstice Ritual on Themyscira was nice.

I chuckled at Harley trying to move on from it and Diana going into more detail.

I keep forgetting Barry would have been a foster kid. The comics I’ve read of him were either before John’s killed his mother or didn’t go into his history after his mother died. In the animated stuff, like Flashpoint Paradox, his mom is killed as he’s an adult. In DC Super Hero Girls, he’s not really had his past explored. He’s a DC Super Hero Boy, but IDK if his mom is alive or not. In the Flash TV show, Barry is with Joe and not in the typical foster care system. It was heart warming reading Barry’s story in this special.

I liked the art during action scenes (his hands took some getting used to :sweat_smile:) and it was really cool getting to see the respect the Rogues have for Flash. I gotta read more Flash because how do the Rogues pose a threat when they’re so respectful they even have a truce for Christmas.

Just like with Wonder Woman and Wonder-Woman, I enjoyed seeing another holiday being covered in this special through Batwoman/Hanukkah.

I’m actually having some Rosca right now as I type this :smile:

I liked seeing the Nochebuena explanation, but this Rosca de Reyes making an appearance was unexpected and I highly enjoyed it.

They managed to go from one story directly into another rather seamlessly. My DickBabs heart :white_heart: I love these two separately and I love them together. Where was their New Year’s Kiss though? :joy:

I hope the same as Bobo!

1 Like

Happy Holidays @WorldofWonder You’ve all been a huge part in making this year one for the books for me. I wish you all happiness and good health. This little family we got going here warms my heart :heart: :white_heart: :heart: :white_heart:

6 Likes

I just want to know what we have to do to finally get a Wonder Woman 77 animated feature starring Lynda Carter. If we got 2 for Batman 66, we should DEFINITELY get at least 1 for WW77…

2 Likes

Yes! I mean they even had a WW77 and Batman 66 team up comic. If they must make another Batman animated movie then have it be based on that!

1 Like

Except we lost Adam West and it won’t be the same. Time to just move on to WW77…

2 Likes