[World of Superman] Best Superman Action Figures

A 2 for 1 :slightly_smiling_face:. The 90s brought us another version of Superman, where he was an energy being split into 2: a blue cerebral version, and a red brash version. While not my favorite run in the comics, I felt it was significant enough where it merited space on my shelf. I think these Mattel DC Universe Classics versions captured that look the best. I like the little “energy” accessories and the fact that they gave the red version an appropriately angrier look.

2 Likes

Very nice. I haven’t seen the black suit one before, very cool!

1 Like

@moro Conversely, I like the DCUC version of Superman in his black togs more than the DCD release.

I’ve never owned the DCD one mind you (I’ve seen it in person many times though),but DCUC are just so cool.

Kenner also made the first black suit Superman figure in their Superman: Man of Steel line. Here he is from an eBay seller:

s-l400.jpg

1 Like

Regarding Supermans Blue and Red, they made their action figure debuts in the Kenner/Hasbro JLA line that was exclusive to Kay-Bee Toys and later, for its last assortment, Toys R Us.

From that same line, Superman also made appearances in the box sets that were Previews exclusives. The JLA Lex Luthor figure was only available in the third (of four total) box set.

Anyway…the best figures of Superman Blue and Red are easily the Mattel versions. Mattel also made Silver Age style SB and R figures in the Fan Collection segment of their Justice League Unlimited line.

2 Likes

Forgot: There’s a 9" Superman Blue figure in the JLA line too. No 9" Superman Red though.

Superman Blue and Red also appeared in the Hasbro DC Super Heroes line, as well as DC Direct’s JLA Classified line. They were made in the style of Ed McGuinness’s art.

2 Likes

I know you to be an ardent Mattel DCUC enthusiast @Vroom, so no surprise there :slightly_smiling_face:. Cool to see that Kenner got the chance to do a black suited Supes before they went outta business.

1 Like

I recall seeing the McGuinness Blue and Red figures. Those are actually easier/cheaper to obtain than the Mattel versions (especially the blue one, always expensive on ebay).

1 Like

@moro Kenner had just about three and a half years of business left at the time their MOS line debuted which, as I remember, was around late summer or early fall of 1995.

Fun Fact: The first brand new DC line to feature the Hasbro logo was Batman Beyond.

I’d be lying if I said I still wasn’t bitter about Hasbro phasing out the Kenner branding in early 1999 :wink:

2 Likes

Here’s a more recent one: the 2018 Mattel DC Multiverse Superman “Rebirth” figure. I think this line started improving quite a bit right around the time this one came out. Solid sculpt and paint, with double jointed knees to boot :slightly_smiling_face:. Still abundantly available if you want a Rebirth design in your collection.

2 Likes

Another Mattel figure, the Multiverse Platinum Collection Injustice 2 Superman. Aside from the video game based design, what’s unique about this one is the die-cast metal construction. This is one hefty piece.

1 Like

We haven’t covered animated Supes much, have we? Here’s a DC Direct piece from 2003, for you Super Friends fans. Was released with Lex Luthor in a 2 pack.

3 Likes

And of course the DCU exclusive Justice League Superman. Like the cartoon come to life. Word of advice, you will need a stand :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I’ll end things by going back to the beginning…the very first Superman toy. Made in 1940 by Ideal Toys, this wooden figure stood 13" tall. If you happen to find one in your grandpa’s basement or attic, you may have reason to celebrate; could be worth thousands depending on its condition. Kinda cool to see what kids played with 80 years ago :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Oh I like the Super Friends one for sure nice!

1 Like

And to quote Porky Pig, “That’s All Folks”. We covered figures old and new…based on comics, movies, animation, video games…trunks & no trunks…some alternate designs…mass market and more “premium” items…I think I’ve bored you enough. I obviously don’t have all of these (you can look at Lexcorp’s thread to see my actual collection), but I’ve enjoyed talking about them and scouring the internet for the pics. I hope you’ve found it at least just a bit entertaining, or maybe helpful for your collecting needs. I’ll probably retire from posting any more figures here, but you’re all welcome to add as you see fit :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

This has been a great thread, thank you for sharing @moro. :clap::clap::clap:I love coming to this thread and checking out these awesome figures. I will certainly come back to it to drool. :smiley::wave:

1 Like

Thanks @fansumtheory.16165; much appreciated. Glad you enjoyed it. Also want to thank everyone else that has contributed to the thread so far, especially @Vroom…wouldn’t have been the same without your insights, man.

2 Likes

@moro You’re welcome, happy to be of assistance.

Was this Superman mentioned before? I don’t think it was, but I might be wrong. It’s a repack of the DCUC New 52 Superman but with revised (and better IMO) paint apps and in the line that came after DCUC, DC Comics Unlimited. There was also a companion Batman line to that one entitled Batman Unlimited.

Anyway:

s-l400.jpg

2 Likes