[World of Bats] Robin & Batman

Hello and welcome to the World of Bats, the Batman Book Club!

For this installment, we’ll be looking at the prestige miniseries Robin & Batman, written by Jeff Lemire and drawn by Dustin Nguyen.

The legendary story of Batman and Robin has reached nearly mythic proportions. The crime-fighting Dynamic Duo are always one step ahead of the criminals they pursue and no case is too big for the pair. This isn’t that story. This is the story of a young Dick Grayson, newly orphaned, struggling to find his way in a strange, difficult, dark new world…this is the story of Robin and Batman.

ISSUES:

Robin & Batman #1
Robin & Batman #2
Robin & Batman #3

DIGITAL TRADE (Ultra Exclusive)

Reading will last from 2023-11-18T06:00:00Z2023-12-01T06:00:00Z, but if you’re training your fighting skills in the darkest of caves, you can always come back later.

Looking forward to discussing this story with you all! :batparrot:

Click here to learn more about World of Bats.

Click here to join and get cool flair!

3 Likes

As I begin to read the first issue, I think, “This isn’t the Batman who taught Dick Grayson. This isn’t even the Batman that taught Jason Todd. This is the 90s Batman, who never can be pleased.” But then I see this panel:

“Ohhhh. This is ASBAR Batman!”

2 Likes

I finished this earlier today and as I was putting my rating on GoodReads, I saw a review that basically said “This is All-Star Batman & Robin if it didn’t suck.” While I have some fondness for that insane diatribe, they were not wrong. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I definitely see where the All Star Batman and Robin comparisons are coming from. Robin and Batman did it better, in my opinion. I really enjoyed Alfred in this one; his dynamic with Dick was great and the way he pushed back against Bruce was fantastic. The scene at the breakfast table in part three exemplifies this relationship between Alfred and Bruce.

Killer Croc was a great choice as the villain

Just well done all around

2 Likes

Glad you liked it! :smiley:

And if anyone wants more from this creative team, Lemire and Nguyen had worked previously on a couple of books from Image, Descender, and it’s sequel Ascender, about a boy robot trying to survive in a galaxy that has outlawed and hunting robotics. I only remember reading the first trade or so of it, but I remember it being pretty good and it’s pretty well regarded all around.

2 Likes