{World of Bats] CRISIS ON INFINITE CLUBS -- Batman (1940) #389-391, Detective Comics (1939) #556-558

I’ll just add that to my collection of Batman facepalms…

1 Like

Yes, I love how apocalyptic this story feels. Dare I say I feel it more here than in COIE itself?

3 Likes

That’s funny because it’s true

1 Like

Oh yes, definitely some over-writing going on – but considering the era and the solid story outside of that, it feels more charming than annoying for me. Like I said, this feels in league with some of the better Marvel comics of the same era – which makes sense considering Moench was part of that group of creatives.

1 Like

No, agree very readable. It’s on 11 and I’d like it dialed back to 10. The only thing off is the boo boo about Noctruna being turned white. Look at her! She’s awesome.

I can see that – in Crisis, there’s just SO MUCH HAPPENING, and there’s so many heroes and while they’re constantly on the ropes, it feels more assured that things will turn out well. But when you have only a couple of heroes, each with their own feet of clay within the story, it feels like the stakes are higher.

2 Likes

The big issue with all the CW-ing is that at a certain point it felt like they were repeating the same talking points over and over again (Batman only likes dangerous women) without any new content to justify the page count devoted to it. And then it feels like he never proves that’s not the case because it all gets gobbled up by the action part of plot. So I feel like the action is diluted by the romance and the romance is diluted by the action to the point that I was invested in neither. And I could forgive it a little more if the romantic drama felt like it had more substance and less padding. But the main conflict as far as that goes seems to just vanish as soon as the action wraps itself up, so there’s no arc.

I wonder how much of that repeating is Moench compensating for people who read one book and not the other?

1 Like

Yep, in one issue Bullock spends a couple a pages essentially recapping everything for Gordon. Probably an editorial edict.

2 Likes

It’s part of why I more prefer first page recaps – don’t slow down the main story, just catch us up on what we absolutely need to know and let’s move on.

1 Like

I just started reading this. I scrolled past the comments so I won’t spoil anything for myself, please forgive me if this has already been said.

I am LOL at Batman’s women problems. I stopped in the middle of the first issue just to post this cause it’s so crazy :laughing:

Batman’s Bat-wooing: I have a stalagmite growing in my Batcave. It kinda looks likes you, and I like that.

No Batman! That’s not what women want to hear :woman_facepalming: :laughing:

3 Likes

“Yeah, hey baby I got a stalagmite in my cave that looks just like you.”

2 Likes

Yeah, you can clearly see Selina does not look happy either. She looks like she wants to tear up Bruce’s cave…and not in a fun way.

Also, don’t compare anything…passionate to stalagmites, because that’s just inviting…awful comparisons.

I’m probably pushing things, aren’t I? :sweat_smile:

ANYWAY. Glad to see you reading this, JL! While we should be getting the next book set up in the next day or so, this discussion will always be open. :smiley:

2 Likes

:rofl: True!

And then he’s like, “One day, that pointy stalactite above it will touch it…if you know what I mean.”

At which point Alfred throws up a little in his mouth off-panel.

3 Likes

What also don’t see just off panel is the Batcave’s lava lamp

1 Like

Yeah, 'cuz having a lava lamp that age would just be, uh, lame, right?!

…I gotta…uh…go fix something in my room real quick…

3 Likes

Anyway, that image also reminded me of something else to talk about:

While I get that it’s not really practical for any superhero/villain, I absolutely love the purple dress and green cape look for Catwoman.

2 Likes

I may have geeked out a tad too much upon seeing an Alan Davis Catwoman image. I’ll get to that run soon enough… squee

2 Likes

It rocks, but the scene where she’s climbing the cliff in her stiletto go go boots looks a little off

1 Like