[World of Bats} Batman Book Club: Blimps, Ghosts, & Cats

Batman 352 - I agree @Aquamon that the story was a fun read. I love Don Newton’s art and the colors were perfect for the mood of the story.

Detective 519 - Another great job on the art by Don Newton! I didn’t mind Colonel Blimp. It was fun read. The Batgirl back up was a pleasant surprise for me as well. I didn’t know that Laini Gilbert was a previous villain before reading her in the Batgirl of Burnsides storylines. I have a lot of these issues, and maybe since it’s been so long ago, I don’t remember a lot of the stuff in them.

Detective 520 - I remember the ghost issues of Hugo Strange and remember them for being odd when I was a kid reading them. These were some of the first comics that I read. I liked the inclusion of Doctor Thirteen and Jason Bard. In the back up, I was interested to see a young Adam Kubert on the lettering.

Batman 354 - I remember hating both the commissioner and the mayor when reading these issues because I really liked Commissioner Gordon. I liked the Rupert Thorne storyline. The early Deadshot stories were fun. I liked how they really have expanded on his character since then. I also enjoyed Robin filling in for Batman.

Detective 521 - I liked the Catwoman story. I love the purple costume so I totally enjoyed seeing it. I always liked Diablo too. The Green Arrow back up was good as well.

Batman 355 - I liked the internal conflict between Catwoman and Batman. I like how the ending wrapped up their feelings towards each other and the realization that they seem to like to hurt each other (emotionally and physically).

Batman 356 - Hugo Strange always seemed so creepy to me growing up, and this issue does nothing to prove me wrong. The pile of Dick Grayson robots and the duplicate of the Manor show the lengths he will go to.

I really enjoyed the issues that you chose. It had been quite some time since I had read them. It will make me go back to some of those older issues that I need to read again. With the quarantine, I have been hitting a lot of older issues anyways so it was nice to have some reminders of stories to check out again.

3 Likes

@BatmanMazz, Howdy! Thanks for joining in and glad you enjoyed this weeks selection! Yeah Strange is a definitely creepy. I always thought he was one of Batmans more interesting foes’in how he uses his intelligence to battle the bat and how he tries to be him or put himself in his psyche. I agree those last panels with batman and catwoman and the story as a whole were well done. Diablo is awesome, wish he was still around. Thanks again for sharing. Not sure whats planed for next month but come August we’ll pick back up where we left off with Batman 357 featuring the Squid and follow that with Killer Croc and some oldies focused on Batcave trophy issues! Have a great weekend :batman_hv_1:

2 Likes

I appreciate Strange more now, but as a kid, he was just beyond bizarre for me. I appreciate reading the older comics since it’s been quite a while since I’ve picked them up. I have really enjoyed both clubs that I have joined!

2 Likes

Glad you’ve enjoyed them! :grin:

2 Likes

@AlexanderKnox
@msgtv
@Jay_Kay
&
@BatmanMazz

Thanks y’all for joining in and sharing your thoughts for this last installment of May’s World of Bats! :batman_hv_1: :hugs:
Now to go get my late submission in for Superman/Batman :man_facepalming: and start chipping away at the second half of Under the Red Hood!

3 Likes