Will Flash TV Series Change the Stretchy Guys?

So with the drama on the Flash TV show ; will they change Elongated Man in some way and have Plastic Man take his place? How do you think they will do it?

2 Likes

I think itā€™s possible that they might switch to Plastic Man or maybe they will say Ralph morphed his face and they could use a new actor.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve just kind of assumed the latter. I mean, itā€™s a pretty easy solve to just say something like, ā€œRalph got stuck in a new face or just outright decided to permanently change his face given his personality and abilities.ā€ Itā€™s an easy solve that can be done in the opening of an episode which allows for the story thatā€™s been set up to continue with really no issue.

6 Likes

Well with the way the season ended. It could be that Ralph is helping Sue out by new names and lives

2 Likes

That could be a good solution to explain recasting.

I just hope that they keep the character around. It would be a shame to lose Ralph at this point in the series.

3 Likes

I had the same thought, that heā€™d change his appearance, maybe because heā€™d been seen in the company of wanted criminal Sue, but that also lends itself to ā€œbeing on the runā€. Just say he doesnā€™t want Team Flash to get mixed up in it, and thereā€™s your out (even if theyā€™d be able to solve the thing, under different circumstances.

Alternatively, they could have him change his face and name to Eel Oā€™Brien, and his heroic identity changes to Plastic Man. Not exactly comics accurate, but Ralph always seemed more like PM anyway.
But if they decided not to bring him back, I wouldnā€™t really be concerned. Yeah, he was fun, but he was shown so sparingly, I sometimes forgot he was in the show at all.

3 Likes

As long as we keep Sue, I donā€™t care what they do. Changing Ralphā€™s face seems like the easiest solution, but I kinda dig @Mr_Morbachā€™s idea of having him assume the Eel Oā€™Brian identity and becoming Plastic Man.

3 Likes

Why even acknowledge it? Just recast a new Ralph and just move on!

2 Likes

At least heā€™s the easiest character to recast since he can change to look like anyone.

3 Likes

I mean, I think if thereā€™s a way to acknowledge a recasting in the actual show, writers should at least give it a go. Itā€™s a pretty easy write-in giving the character.

3 Likes

ā€œWe donā€™t need two stretchy guys.ā€

-John Stewart, Green Lantern of Sector 2814

But seriously, I think the best way to go would be to just say he stretched his face in a new way. Maybe he finds out the mask doesnā€™t keep his secret ID as well as he would have hoped? But then again, Ralph was the first hero to ever go public, so it would be a little weird to go down that road.

4 Likes

Itā€™s unfortunate they chose to fire the actor, especially since they went to the trouble of casting a Sue Dearbon. You donā€™t make that move unless youā€™re intending a series of stories involving the two characters. This move forces the writers to change gears, and potentially cut the storyline off much sooner than they wanted.

1 Like

I thinks that what will happen is that they will mention that heā€™s left with Sue to keep her safe and then never mention him again unless itā€™s regarding him staying where he is with her.

1 Like

This, but then cast a new actor to play Ralph in an Elongated Man & Sue spin-off and have a throwaway line in the pilot about him ā€˜trying out a new faceā€™ or something.

2 Likes

Itā€™s pretty easy to just write-in how his face is changed. I mean, itā€™s really not a big deal. Itā€™s such a minor thing that they could honestly just ignore it for all I care, but theyā€™ll probably just write in a reason for fans who maybe donā€™t follow all the news around the show.

1 Like

Interesting trivia on the creation of Elongatedman. Whoever was writing it at t5he time was a huge fan of Plasticman and he wanted to bring a Plasticman into the Flash. He didnā€™t realise DC got the rights after they bought Quality otherwise Iā€™m sure he would have used Plas and we never would have met Ralph and probably not Sue either.

3 Likes

Interesting. Iā€™ve never heard that before. Thanks for the info!

1 Like

The sad thing is he did it to himself you shouldnā€™t say anything like that ; itā€™s just not right and it put the show in a lose lose situation. I hope they get some one with some comedic acting ability Stretchy characters are normally funny with the exception of Mr. Fantastic of you know who.

1 Like