Who's YOUR Justice League?

Not a very well thought-out collection, but

Mister Terrific (Michael Holt)
Phantom Stranger
Plastic Man
Black Lightning
Firestorm (Ronnie or Jason, doesn’t matter)
Green Lantern (Alan Scott)
Power Girl
Martian Manhunter (cause what’s a JL without J’onn?)

3 Likes

Or how about the not-so-serious and/or more than a little out there JL…

Plastic Man
G’nort
Creeper
Metamorpho
Negative Man
Flex Mentallo
Ambush Bug
Lobo
And again with J’onn (gonna need lots of cookies)

I’ll admit, neither of these are particularly well-thought out lists, but who knew that a team that included Guy Gardner and Batman could have accomplished a doggone thing? Remember what an awesome team that turned out to be when they finally got their s**t together.

Just needs a writer with a vision…

3 Likes

one from the 1970s?

(shakes fist at Denny O’Neil… AGAIN!)

Thank goodness I started reading comics in the mid 1970s when DC decided to have J’onn visit Earth for a few months to see some old friends.

3 Likes

A lot of my comics preferences were shaped in those early days, off the spinners.

Joe Staton had a big impact on me in those days, because Power Girl and Huntress have been favorites since that time. It’s also where my love of the JSA comes from.

My Legion days began during Grell’s run on that book.

Most of my J’onn J’onzz influence is from the 80s-90s, primarily DeMatteis’ run on JLI. I can’t remember which JL book it was where he was going “undercover” with the ladies of the team (might still have been JLI) and had to shapeshift into a female form. The artist caught his discomfort perfectly.

3 Likes

I can identify with that. I’m 52 and most of my comics reading was in the 1975-78 range. It became sporadic after that and I quit reading comics entirely from 1984-1990. So I have a lot of odd views compared to most of my peer group where 1984-1990 is their peak.

4 Likes

J’onn is the deauteragonist in my favorite Justice League Series, so I always consider him a signature member.

3 Likes

I’m 57 and I did a lot of comics reading in roughly that same era. Like I said, it shaped a lot of my preferences. Difference is, I didn’t stop reading/buying through the 90s. I’ve slowed down a lot the last ten or so years - reading, not buying. I’m so far behind, I could stop buying reading material altogether and have plenty to keep me busy the rest of my life…

3 Likes

@awk1964.87979 @CaptainYesterday I am 25, and did not really read anything until I was 23. I never had an era I was attached to like most readers do.

3 Likes

They did a really good job of making J’onn the linchpin to the Justice League when they decided to pull the big three from it and give other characters a chance to shine. The writers made him more than a green guy who could do mostly everything Superman could, plus some other cool stuff, with a really lame weakness. Granted, they’ve made that weakness make more sense since his first maxi-series…

2 Likes

Chocos are not a lame weakness.
:cookie:

3 Likes

When his addiction started, they were actually Oreos, but I imagine they were changed to avoid the copyright

4 Likes

You know, people love to cite J’onn having an addiction to Oreos/Chocos, but if you read the actual issue that comes up in, the end shows it’s a story J’onn made up to mess with Kyle Rayner.

4 Likes

Freshizzle?

2 Likes

Martian Manhunter (1998) #24.

4 Likes

Well it is canon in the Looney Tunes/DC crossover comics.

3 Likes

I think it’s a misrepresentation to call anything that happens in a Looney Tunes crossover “canon”

4 Likes

lmfaoooo

2 Likes

And actually, the weakness I was originally referring to was the fire thing. The more you read various places, the more you get some people wondering about the weaknesses some characters have. They understand kryptonite, but the can’t wrap their brains around Alan Scott’s ring’s weakness to wood, or Hal Jordan’s to yellow, or J’onn’s to fire.

And J’onn’s thing with the cookies (not surprisingly) came up in JLI. That was long before Kyle came along.

3 Likes

In JLI, he really enjoyed cookies. The idea that he was addicted to them came later.

3 Likes

Justice league will always be my favorite when it features a large ensemble cast.

Members will be majority B list and C list Members because they should have variety.
This list was inspired by the Meltzer Justice League and the international era.

Members:
Green Arrow(leader)
Black Canary
Martian Manhunter*
Firestorm
Green lantern(Jessica Cruz)
Vixen
Blue Beetle(Jaime Reyes)
Katana
Booster Gold
Fire and Ice.
Bloodwynd
Black Lighting(co-team-leader because this will be a big team)
Rocket Red
Maxima

New additions:
Mary Marvel
Bolt(Alinta)
Cindy Reynolds(Gypsy)
Wonder Twins
Sideways
Shade the Changing woman(young animals)
Tempest
Breach
El Diablo

This will be a large team so if this ever was a series it will be divided up and told like a anthology.

For the established heroes, Green Arrow will be the face of the team to the world. His league will be alumni composed of people he trust and are mortals
Black Canary
Rocket Red
Blue Beetle
Booster Gold
Vixen
Green Lantern
Ice
Mary Marvel
The wonder twins for comedic relief.

Second team would be led by Black Lighting, they take the model of the outsiders team that do more covert spy special ops. Think of them like the Blue team:
Bolt
Fire
Sideways
Katana
Gypsy
Tempest
They are the task force that work undercover and espionage. They have fewer members but are tightly coordinated.

This team can be dubbed the red team.
Martian Manhunter being the supervisor of the most dangerous and powerful members of the Justice League:
Breach
Firestorm (Who I only imagine would be on the team because he needs to lightened the mood)
El Diablo
Maxima
Shade the Changing woman
Bloodwynd

The last one is a thought experiment but I thought it would be cool to do a Justice League 90s edgy team but you know…Right.

This was incredibly fun and thank the OP for giving me some cool ideas to share.

4 Likes