:00_wonder_woman_stars: Who is Wonder Woman? :00_wonder_woman_stars:

I’ll agree Ferdinand’s one of the GOAT of modern side characters, no question.

For Who is Wonder Woman? That began in 2006, and concluded in 2007, so a few years prior to The New 52’s 2011 debut. :slight_smile:

She’s rumored for wave 3, and IDK about you, but I’m buying two (one to open and one to keep carded).

That is a grave oversight. Wonder Woman: The Animated Series could have debuted at any time really, but it especially should have debuted the fall season after Wonder Woman’s theatrical debut, so as to maintain interest in the brand from the movie, to TV and beyond.

Maybe we’ll finally get it when WW3 comes around? I hope so. :crossed_fingers:t2:

I love my Agent Prince and Wonder Woman figures from DC Direct’s sadly short-lived Wonder Woman line. In fact, that WW is among my top three WW figures of all time.

The Circe and Donna Troy from that line are on my DC Direct Wants list. Thankfully, they tend to be the cheaper figures in the line, so they shouldn’t be too tricky to get.

4 Likes

I have all 4 and won’t part with one of them…

3 Likes

She should have been wave 1, but I would have accepted 2. Not having her in either is an unacceptable travesty…

3 Likes

With the way WBD is cancel happy, I’m not holding my breath…

3 Likes

Well…I think you’re being a bit harsh, but let’s focus on the positive and be glad she’s coming early on in the line.

Optimist I am, I’m hoping we get a good number of WW characters, classic and modern, in Super Powers, especially a Perez-style Ares and all three Wonder Girls.

I understand that perspective and agree to an extent, but let’s try to stay positive and hope for the best. :slight_smile:

BTW @MovieAddict, it’s been great seeing you in the thread. I hope to see you in other book club discussions I host. :superman_hv_4:

3 Likes

Yeah, but, it’s hard to accept the Batman Who Laughs getting a figure before her. If they need a villain, why not do Cheetah or Giganta? Laugher isn’t even 10 years old yet.

I’m hoping to be able to participate more. I have quit using Facebook for the most part, but I Tweet like crazy. I need to be on these boards more because they are a lot more fun…

Edit: how dare I forget to thank you for your kind words, my most sincere and humble apologies…

2 Likes

says “Yes…join us…its…bliss.” in a zombie-like fashion

No worries, you’re good. :superman_hv_4:

2 Likes

Finished this up – I vaguely remembered reading this back in the day, but I didn’t remember much of it. Overall it was okay – I agree that it felt like this could have used more room/issues. I also wonder if maybe he had more issues planned, but had to stop after the first arc because, well, look how long it took him to finish just this story.

Outside of that, I liked the voices for most of the characters and Heinberg creates an interesting status quo for the character moving forward. I also liked the commitment to highlighting all of Diana’s rogues, no matter how obscure (which is another reason why I get the feeling there as going to be more to his run than just this arc).

There was one thing that bothered me about the writing part, and that as Diana at the end calling herself a “golem,” something not entirely real, which is frankly crap. Diana’s mode of birth may be weird, but she’s just as flesh and blood and human as any other Amazon. It just doesn’t feel right coming out of Diana’s mouth. I think that might be part of why I prefer the demigoddess origin – that way it’s hard to completely deny that she’s a human when at least one human was involved in the process.

Finally, the art is just flipping gorgeous. Terry Dodson is stunning at this stuff and he just makes everything pop all the more.

3 Likes

You have an interesting point about the clay origin, and I definitely agree it’s a bum note, but I will never be convinced that taking away the Pygmalion origin with it’s relatively uniqueness and replacing it with “oh, she’s just another of Zeus’s thousands of byblows” is better.

3 Likes

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

IDK why, but that made me chuckle.

2 Likes

franticly looks up byblos

…Eh, I prefer “crotch goblins.” :rofl:

But still, at least demigods aren’t treated as less than human.

And another thing I remembered that I didn’t like was Hercules’ heel turn. Like, I remember reading the Perez story where he was punished by holding up Paradise Island for his actions, and he sacrificed himself and was ultimately forgiven, and I thought that was a nice sort of conclusion for him. To have him not only go full bad guy again, but to also threaten to assault Diana? That’s just…low, and not necessary.

2 Likes

Friday funnies! :rofl:

Agreed. It did cement his villainy though, you can’t argue that.

1 Like

I firmly believe that the “I’m less than human” stuff is from Azzarello trying to sell his demigod origin. I think it’s nonsense, and fairly offensive to those who like the clay origin and think it is beautiful and adds a nice mythological twist to the origin.

1 Like

I read this last night. I forgot how much I enjoyed it, but I also remember when I was actually purchasing this and it took FOREVER to come out. There were MONTHS between each issue. This is why the finale of the story ended up being in the annual. Heinberg struggled with getting it released on a proper schedule. From what I remember, it was not the Dodson’s issue, but Heinberg.

As many people know, Donna Troy is my favorite and the first few issues really represents her personality well. She as Wonder Woman, even though everyone else was telling her she wasn’t Wonder Woman. She just persevered through it, why? because that is who she is. She pushes through adversity. Even though she ends up being a necklace for part of the story, I still feel like it showcases her and who she is. I think the difference between Diana and Donna is represented well when it is mentioned she needed a sidekick. I don’t think Donna needed a sidekick, I think Donna wanted one. She respects other superheroes all the time. She has always worked well with others, whereas I am not sure the same can be said to the same capacity as Diana. Donna has always worked on a team and is used to other people helping with their power set. That is hard to “turn off”.

I love that this arc represents a literal “Who’s Who” of the Rogue Gallery that is often overlooked for Wonder Woman. Are they as strong as Batman’s Rogues? Of course not. Those are iconic, but these are just as good for who Wonder Woman is. I also love that they pay respect to different versions of her, I mean come on I-Ching is mentioned for goodness sake. There is so much comic book goodness here that anyone can enjoy this particular run. I love that they brought in Nemisis to fill in obviously a “Steve Trevor” type of role. There is so much to enjoy here, which includes the beautiful artwork from the Dodson team. I truly admire their style. What more can I say about this particular series outside of READ IT? Not much, so why don’t you go spend the time to read it? You won’t have to wait the months it took me to originally read it. :wink:

4 Likes

I love how in-depth your reply is! I’ll read it in-full later today when I’ve more time to immerse myself in it.

2 Likes

Holy CATS you’re right about the release schedule. That’s insane! I read it, as I mentioned, in the Walmart reprints, so it was a monthly experience for me!

3 Likes

I read WIWW as it came out, and yeah, the delays were disappointing.

As the arc was coming out, I was reading 99% of what DC and Marvel were publishing from their assorted imprints at the time (and in single issues), so the delays weren’t really on my mind too much, as I had plenty of other books to occupy myself with (including other titles that also had their share of delays :joy:).

3 Likes

I have a really bad habit of buying and waiting for the story to finish, but then just reading it on here instead. I have the complete run, read the printed version at some point, but didn’t remember the delays at all. I’m just glad to see Wonder Woman getting love, and this is a great story…

3 Likes

She’s my favorite female fictional character and my favorite female DC character, so I will always shine the light on Wonder Woman when I have the chance. :slight_smile:

It is! I enjoyed re-reading it for this thread, and I’m glad it garnered such a good response from others who are also a fan of what is an underrated, and very entertaining, tale.

4 Likes