Who is the best Detective in the DCU?

I’m asking you all to give your top or top 3 Detectives in the DCU. This includes P.I, Journalist, CSI, and police officers regardless of rank.

Also if you disagree with someone, link a comic issue or series to prove your point​:wink:

4 Likes

For interrogations, Martian Manhunter. Telepathy is a pretty good trick to have as a detective.

7 Likes

Batman
Elongated Man
Detective Chimp

5 Likes

Batman
Question
Louis Lane

2 Likes

Batman

3 Likes

I mean… they do call him the World’s Greatest Detective.

Second and third, maybe Elongated Man and Tim Drake?

7 Likes

Sherlock Holmes. No, really. He’s in the DCU.

5 Likes

Yeah, my vote goes to Batman. As mentioned above, one of his titles is World’s Greatest Detective. His world also dominates Detective Comics, and he has many a rogue in his gallery specifically built around the concept of him being a detective.

3 Likes

Batman
The question
Detective chimp

2 Likes

As much as it pains me to say it, I think Batman is rest on the laurels of his title as WGD.

I think I’d rank the top 3 as

The Question
Batman
Oracle (since we cannot ignore digital detective work in this day and age.)

5 Likes

Oracle’s a very good choice, and Batman admittedly hasn’t had quite as many good detective stories recently, but I think he’s earned his title over the years. The Question (Vic, I assume? Renee would be a good candidate too, though.) is a good investigator, but doesn’t have Batman’s understanding of forensic science and criminology, nor his track record.

6 Likes

I’m a long time DC fan. Although his recent movie entries have focused almost exclusively on his physicality, Batman was always called ‘The World’s Greatest Detective’ first. I think the plan was for him to be DC’s answer to Sherlock Homes (or, more accurately, Doc Savage) - a Holmes intellect in peak physical condition, as befits a true Superhero. I’m extremely hopeful Matt Reeves noir take on him will introduce the brilliant detective and inventor as he was meant to be portrayed. It would carve a necessary niche into the Justice League as well - because in order to defeat the baddies, first you have to find them … and that means, solving crimes.

4 Likes

I wonder how many people know that Ralph Dibny’s detective skills are on the level of Batman’s. They just have different methods of solving things. So I would have to say that it’s a toss up between Batman and Elongated-Man. Because of that I would count them together. As they are basically equal.

For the other two I’d probably go with Detective Chimp and Tim Drake in no particular order. Tim is the only Robin who’s detective skills far exceeds that of the others and can actually be on pair with Batman’s.

5 Likes

Batman, The Question, Detective Chimp

5 Likes

Harvey Bullock

6 Likes

Hrm… Some great options here!

Ultimately, my vote go to: The Question, Batman, and Detective Chimp. Honorary mention for Oracle. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Definitely not Batman he just has his money to help him out

1 Like

My go to is Batman. But I agree with HCQ. Manhunter telepathy definitely comes in handy when detecting. And his shapeshifting can help with investing crime scenes.

5 Likes

Bats
Dibs
Lane
Drake

4 Likes

Question
Tim Drake
Lois Lane

2 Likes