Who Is Best Suited to Take the Mantle of the Bat?

Think about it tho ra’s Al ghul has referred to Tim as detective something he only reserves for Batman

6 Likes

But cass is someone who take it and the entire bat family would be ok with it she is the strongest bat family member even Bruce said she could beat him

4 Likes

And she has a charm that she can use to her advantage

5 Likes

Honestly, I would like to see Jason Todd dawning the mantle just because it would push his redemption arc into high gear and I’m down for that :eyes:

8 Likes

I honestly don’t blame you. I gotten use to the hero and think he’s fairly interesting but I won’t lie and say that as Batman he is a niche liking.

For me, I like how grounded the Jace Batman is, not fighting your colorful and cyberpunk enemies like the main Batman is used to, but rather a Batman who uses more practical weaponry, more realistic enemies and fights the corrupt justice system itself that affects the poor and downtrodden. The kind of person that reminds me occasionally of Frank Miller Batman and people would love if it were.
However, despite being someone we aren’t entirely familiar with, A black Bat hero who isn’t already established like Luke Fox or Duke Thomas but a new person in Jace.
Right now his real problem is being emotionally and thematically divorced from the main Batman books. Writer John Ridley moves him to New York and the reasoning that Jace gives is that he doesn’t want to be called “a substitute Batman or the other Batman.” That’s pride and arrogance thinking audience won’t accept a second mantle bearer and the current one co-existing in the same place when we currently have 3 Batgirls, 3 supermen, Two Aquamen, and two blue beetles hanging around.

Instead of having Jace be integrated into the bat family, he is literally separated from Gotham and it’s lore, cutting off a real connection to the current Bat mythos. Essentially nothing is done to establish Jace relationship with Bruce Batman, he might as well be another mask hero that gets recruited by Bruce to join Batman inc.

5 Likes

i know about jace i just tend to forget abt him a lot

5 Likes

This is one of the main reasons I don’t know more about him. Kind of seemed like he was a Future State character or Batman Inc character who will be the talk of the town for one or two months and then drop off the face of the earth into obscurity until someone thirty years from now throws him in a one off story as a fun cameo. I have enough to read already and anyone who isn’t going to have staying power gets put down on the list. By moving him they basically changed him from a Gotham character I cared about to a substitute Batman who will have his own solo stories for a while, start fading, have some crossovers to attempt to boost sales, and get canceled.

5 Likes

i still think cass would be the best and not just because i have a fictional crush on her

3 Likes

Whoop whoop! Two new converts to team Cass! Come, join me @JasonToddJr and @basicallytimdrake, together we shall start a Cassandra Cain-Wayne club! Bwa hahahaha! (I have mentioned that she first appeared in NML right? Okay. Just want to make sure.)

5 Likes

i would love nothing more than to start a cassandra cain club lol

4 Likes

… really? Hm… I was kinda joking… I might look into that…

3 Likes

download (78)

4 Likes

duke and cassandra would be a good couple

3 Likes

I sometimes wish I could like posts twice. This is one of those times.

EDIT: She’s winning the poll!

3 Likes

damian catching up

4 Likes

Future state Jace Batman was phenomenal from a conceptual level. A black man takes the mantle of Batman to fight against an oppressive police state that uses advanced forms of surveillance and cybernetic soldiers, so to combat this “The Batman” uses low fi tech with guerilla tactics to defeat and outsmart his foes. Infinite frontier Jace has no impact like that.

I am Batman is good for reading like a network crime drama and I still like a street smart Batman like the one Ridley written. Jace only written with care by John Ridley with the writer who written him the second most, Joshua Williamson, has written Jace as a stereotype derivative of Bruce Batman but he is more nice than him. My worst concern is that he would vanish into obscurity after that because he isn’t the popular Batman we know and love. CW ain’t going to save that Batman and Warner Bros seems not interested or aware of it’s existence.

Ridley still has a lot of work to do on his character with plenty of ideas to work on like Jace’s past, training his sister Tiffany Fox, other possible cameos like with Nightwing or with his brother Luke Fox Batwing. And the confrontation between him and the Bruce Wayne Batman.

Cautiously optimistic for the future with this character.

4 Likes

This question was answered 15 years ago.

6 Likes

Afrer reading your comments I definitely changed my answer to Cass. It just makes sense that it would be her to lead the Bat-family.

4 Likes

If you want, you could add it to the rotation of sessions in my club. I know it’s a bit of a stretch to say that Cass is a “Robin,” but we’ve been playing fast and loose by covering Steph’s long tenure as Spoiler (and we’ll be getting to her Batgirl period soon enough). And, you know, my current co-host is covering Damian, so there’s a legitimate Robin around to justify the club’s name. :wink:

(Push comes to shove, we could rebrand it all as the Batfamily Club. :stuck_out_tongue: )

5 Likes

Nice !!

4 Likes