which comic is better kingdom come or crisis on infinite earths

?

3 Likes

Crisis is a slog

3 Likes

Have to agree with biff_pow. Kingdom Come doesn’t need a big explanation. While very deep into DC lore, it can be read and thoroughly enjoyed by anybody, wheras I’m afraid my own interest in Crisis is largely academic. It’s just not that engaging of a read, however important it may be and despite Perez’s wonderful art. Any artist should look at how he drew a huge crowd and every face looks unique and looks like each character, even the ones really small in the background. Anyways, Kingdom Come hands down for me.

3 Likes

Damn I love both.

2 Likes

Crisis on Infinite Earths is more historically important for DC, but Kingdom Come is a far better story.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m going to agree with pretty much everyone here. Crisis is important but viewed on its own merits it doesn’t hold up. Kingdom Come is the better comic.

1 Like

I agree with dogwelder9 that it’s a bit of an apples-and-oranges issue.

However, I find that Kingdom Come sort of stumbles over itself in the delivery of its message and the handling of the characters, while the worst I can say about Crisis on Infinite Earths is that the dialogue is kinda stilted. But on the other hand, KC is kind of the more ambitious project in some ways, because it’s doing this whole tour of the DC Universe, except it has to build a possible future from the ground up, and make a grand philosophical point, and delve more deeply into the characterization of the Trinity. I think there are points where it massively succeeded and points where it failed at all three of those things. Crisis on Infinite Earths is just using the existing multiverse to tell a big, popcorny story and trigger a reboot. Wolfman and Perez then went out of their way to use absolutely everybody, and I think they did a truly spectacular job of it, and managed to bring out a surprising amount of heart for all the crazy apocalyptic stuff that’s going on.

2 Likes

I love both, but Crisis by far.

Crisis is an easy sell: it’s about a gigantic threat to the universe and several superheroes uniting against it. Done deal.

1 Like