Which Batman comics should I read now?

I just finished Snyder and Capullo’s Batman series. It was my first time reading Batman comics and I really enjoyed it. Which Batman comics should I read next?

2 Likes

Where to Start Reading Batman Comics
Joshua Lapin-Bertone
thursday April 11

shorted to just include stories

Batman: Year One
WHERE TO FIND IT: Batman
#404-407

Batman Year two

WHERE TO FIND IT Detective
Comics #575-578

Batman: Hush

WHERE TO FIND IT Batman
#608-619

“Daughter of the Demon”

WHERE TO FIND IT Batman

Batman: The Long Halloween

WHERE TO FIND IT: Batman:
The Long Halloween #1-13

Batman: Strange Apparitions

WHERE TO FIND IT Writer
Steve Englehart comes on board
with Detective Comics #469-
479, but things really get
cooking when artist Marshall
Rogers joins him for issue #471
through the team’s fınal issue,
#476.

“The Court of Owls”

WHERE TO FIND IT: Batman
(2011) #1-7

“To Kill a Legend”

WHERE TO FIND IT Detective
Comics #500

HONORABLE MENTION
Batman: The Dark Knight
Returns

Resonates more powerfully if one has read a few of the above titles first.

2 Likes

Also for Batman Fanily type story

Detective Comics 2016

2 Likes

thanks @TurokSonOfStone1950 !!

1 Like

You may want to read Batman Eternal and Batman & Robin Eternal before starting Detective Comics Rebirth. Otherwise, you may choose to keep going with Snyder in All Star Batman and Dark Knights Metal.

4 Likes

There’s the classics like Year One, the sleeper hits (well, relatively anyway) like Gotham Central, and the great but entirely obscure like Batman Adventures. I will say, you might get recommendations for Hush. It’s not great, IMHO. Just a fair warning.

1 Like

If you want to continue reading Snyder’s stuff on Batman, you can also look up his run on All-Star Batman (NOT All-Star Batman and Robin, the Boy Wonder, that’s a VERY different book), which further leads into his big DCU story (but still with a heavy Batman focus) called Dark Nights: Metal.

3 Likes

^Yes, Nights, not Knights. Typo on my part.

https://www.dcuniverse.com/comics/series/all-star-batman-2016/96be8eb4-2f9b-454a-ae13-0e970459dfff
https://www.dcuniverse.com/comics/series/dark-nights-metal-2017/cc68da3d-046f-452d-9f36-bc5776984b40

2 Likes

Defiantly the metal series. Awesome story, very dark.

3 Likes

If you like Snyder there are two ways to go:

1. Batman Eternal (Story by Snyder and Tynion) then Batman and Robin Eternal (story by Tynion and Snyder) and then Detective Comics (2016) just by Tynion.
  2. The other is All-Star Batman by Snyder (NOT All-Star Batman and Robin: The Boy Wonder. Forget it exists)
    The third could be reading Batman by Tom King but I don’t recommend it (but I know it has its fans)
    And ,finally, the fourth one. Go back to Batman and Robin (2011) and enjoy amazing Damian Wayne’s journey to not being a total jerk/murder hobo.
3 Likes

Wait, there is another way to go. Detective Comics (1937) #871-881. It’s 11 issues of Dick Grayson as Batman written by Snyder and with art by Jock. They’re pretty great.

1 Like

A few choices:

-Steve Englehart and Marshall Rogers’ run on Detective Comics (1937) which begins at #471.

-The Hush arc of Batman (1940), issues 608-619.

-Batman: Dark Detective, a 6 issue mini-series from 2005/06, also by Englehart and Rogers. A print-only title right now (in singles as well as trade) but worth seeking out.

-Paul Dini’s run on Detective Comics (1937), which starts at #821.

-Judd Winick and Mark Bagley’s run on Batman (1940), which goes from #687-691.

-Tony Daniel as writer and illustrator on Batman (1940), starting with issue #692.

-Batman: The Dark Knight (2010) and it’s New 52 follow-up of the same name, including the entirety of David Finch’s run on the second series.

-Batman and Robin (New 52). All of it, as it’s wonderful fun and perfectly showcases the father and son bond between Bruce and Damian, which is a nice juxtaposition to their adventures as Batman and Robin.

-James Tynion IV’s run on Detective Comics, which begins with issue #934 of the 2016 Detective Comics series.

I hope these recommendations are of assistance.

4 Likes