Which Artist Do You Think Captures Wonder Woman and Her World the Best?

@Vroom I love the New 52 run. I gotta say, Finch was not my favorite, but he did get much stronger toward the end of his run.

The problem I had with his art was that every character seemed to have the exact same face and facial expressions. Men, women, they all looked the same and emoted the same. It was strong art, but I just didn’t really connect with it. It was also tough since he had to follow Cliff Chiang and that’s not easy for any artist.

@nu52 Jenny Frison’s covers are beautiful. I love her variant for Lois Lane #1.

Regarding Finch, while he’s one of my favorite artists, I agree that his characters could stand to be a bit more emotive.

2 Likes

George Perez and Phil Jimenez both draw an incredible and dynamic Wonder Woman. Whenever either draws Diana in an action scene, you feel the stakes.

2 Likes

Well, I’m sure most of you saw me gush about George Perez over in the Book Club thread, but, well, yeah. Perez. In particular, his covers remind me of Renaissance-era paintings of classical mythology, and he brings out that aesthetic with just pencils and ink. It’s incredible.

2 Likes

I haven’t read any wonder woman yet as I’m just getting into comics. But art wise this is my favorite.

E4-A6-B3-BB-1-EE2-44-B5-AFC5-7633412-DF86-A.jpg

4 Likes

@NYJt3 I believe that’s by Alex Garner. It’s the variant to Wonder Woman #601 and a nice piece.

Can we add Patty Jenkins to the list? Sure, she’s not a comic artist, but she’s an immensely talented contributor to Wonder Woman’s legacy.

4 Likes

Loving reading how you all have a Wonder Woman artist that connected with you.

@superby1 That’s the best. It’s hard to infuse a still image with life and comic book artists do it all of the time.

@BatJamags It might have been your comment that sparked this thread :slight_smile:

@NYJt3 I remember before I started reading comics regularly, that was one image I saw around a lot. It’s a great cover. Right now we’re reading the first 6 issues of Wonder Woman 1987. So far, it’s a pretty good starting point for people new to Wonder Woman, I must say.

@Vroom Sure! They’re artists too after all. The costume department, Zack Snyder, Patty Jenkins, etc. have all given us an instant classic with their Wonder Woman aesthetic in the movies.

5 Likes

@nu52 On that note, I’ll add Hans Zimmer to the list too. His Wonder Woman theme is badass.

2 Likes

@Vroom Can you believe we’re going to be getting an entire Wonder Woman movie scored by Hans Zimmer?

Rupert Gregson-Williams can’t be ignored though. What he did with the music during No Man’s Land was perfect.

3 Likes

@nu52 I’m giddy to hear what Zimmer will bring to WW84’s score. An iconic Cheetah theme would be shway.

2 Likes

@Vroom I didn’t even think about Cheetah getting a Hans Zimmer theme! It’s going to crash the mode.

I didn’t Hans Zimmer was WW84. The movie keeps getting better and better.

1 Like

Typo didn’t know

1 Like

Another typo “doing” before the WW84

1 Like

@NYJt3 Right? When I heard he didn’t want to make anymore superhero movies, I was bummed. Then he did the score for Dark Phoenix and signed up to do WW84. His score is going to be out of this world.

2 Likes

Rumor has it that a dump truck full of cash (marked “Property of Warner Brothers Pictures” in very small writing on its backside) pulled up to Hans’ home one day.

The day after, he decided to get back into scoring come book based movies. While he was financially wealthier, we the fans are culturally wealthier for having him back in our fold and having his wonderful music to anticipate and eventually listen to.

2 Likes

DEFINITELY Cliff Chiang