Where are the Shazam comics from the 1970's on DCU?

DCU wants to be complete, and I want to read, but is there a reason Shazam from the '70’s is missing? It’s my childhood man. . . my childhood.

1 Like

They haven’t digitized them, yet.
Up until recently there was no real incentive to as Shazam (Captain Marvel) has been in limbo for years.

DC started digitizing their comics in 2011 and since that time, the character has made small appearances but nothing major enough for them to market a trade paperback of older material around.
With the movie coming out and being pretty successful, I’m sure DC will be working on collecting the old '70s run into a trade paperback, and that usually signals that there’s also an effort being made in digitizing, as well.
So, I would just keep a look out.

1 Like

Part of the issue is that the 70s series is very much a product of its time and doesn’t fit as well with modern sensibilities as Ordway’s work on Power of Shazam so the later series was given priority when it came to being added to the digital library. That said its inevitable that given enough time DC will eventually make it available in digital format at which point it will pop up here.

1 Like

DC is putting out a hardcover collection of issues #1-18 in June. Hopefully those issues will turn up here later this summer, maybe around the same time as the movie is released on Blu-Ray.

1 Like

Thanks to all. I know Shazam has HOKEY-ness in it’s past which plagues it in some other iterations as well, but it has a lot of potential. My love for it will always stem from it being the first comic I took off the rack as a kid because he and Mary and Freddy (a family of heroes) were tied to a bomb. It’s archetypal for me, embedded. Thanks for the responses and reasons for hope. I hope Billy Batson can find relevance outside of his origin story and be more than “The Big Cheese.”