When Should a Superhero Kill?

Not sure if ill ever get to him, i just started reading some midnighter comics and he’s pretty cool and I’m about to get into Blue beetle. So I’m not sure when if ever ill get back into Green Arrowm

I liked both, but we’re simply referring to him killing Joker itself. I doubt anyone liked him killing Shazam, Breaking Green Lantern’s arms, Killing that one joker army, hiring Victor Zass to kill Alfred, killing Captain Atom, Martion manhunter, and Green Arrow. I’m sure there’s many more but it’s been awhile since I read injustice.

If the joker killed my wife and child and city ya I would kill him. Every thing went to hell because he turned into a dictator and murder.

1 Like

And to add insult to injury, it was superman the killed them, and to add even more fuel to the fire it wasn’t his fault!!! The problem was no one consoled him after killing joker

1 Like

But superman also sucked! In injustice. But we’re talking about killing the joker not everyone else. Him killing the joker was justified

2 Likes

And if his friends came together in year 1 and before he got to crazy and set him straight injustice never would have happened

2 Likes

I totally agree with everything you just said!

2 Likes

Yeah I know, I’m agreeing with you. Just like pa kent said “Where you when clark needed a friend” not saying it’s batman’s fault but he could’ve supported Clark

1 Like

I know there are a lot of thoughts on this topic. My main thought is that I really like how characters now are limited by their codes. It would be so easy for Batman to kill Joker and everyone else, but he doesn’t. He has to live with the fact that his moral code will cause more people to get hurt when they, eventually, break out of where ever he puts them. And it adds so much depth to not just Batman’s character but to Joker’s as well. Joker knows that the moment Batman kills him, Joker has won. And Batman does everything he can to not let that happen.

A couple people have mentioned Superman in Injustice. (I’ve read the comics but not played the games, for the record) But I think that the moment Superman gave in and killed him was the moment Superman lost everything. I don’t see him killing Joker as good. Because it cause so many more terrible things. Yes, you can argue that the Joker deserved to die for everything he had done. But why does Superman get to be the one to make that decision? Why does anyone get to make that decision?

I’m kinda rambling now, so I’ll stop. But overall I think the Superheros killing argument falls down to the basic questions of; Who should decide who dies? And why?

3 Likes

On the subject of Sinestro, he was scheduled for execution at the orders of the Guardians when the Red Lanterns first showed up and messed that all up.
I don’t necessarily think it’s good superheroes to kill, but I do think realistically a lot of the supervillains should have gotten the death penalty a long time ago. I’ve got to think most citzens in Gotham would be pretty upset when the Joker is caught, put in Arkham, breaks out and murders dozens or hundreds or thousands of people, yet again.

3 Likes

The Batman example makes sense, i never thought of it that way.

For Injustice, Ground Zero is the game story mode so you can you read that if you haven’t already and it’s basically like you read the game.

Anyways, the reason why superman should make that decision because he was targeted, he was the victim. He lost his wife and unborn child, the city was destroyed as well. Superman lost everything in one day thanks to the joker, superman should be the one to deliver the blow. It won’t undue all the damage but at least one else will go through what superman went through.

Superman was just doing what any husband(and father I guess) would do.

2 Likes

Honestly I’m surprised most citizens stay in gothom knowing a lunatic like Joker lives there.

1 Like

oh, and what green lantern comic was that?

1 Like

Wow. I wonder how New earth and Earth prime batman will respond to that batman

1 Like

I’m sure most of us have, or at least read it. We’re just ok with Superman killing joker, everything could’ve been avoided if Batman or someone else consoled him.

I have read Ground Zero actually!

But again, why does Superman get to make that decision? There at dozens (probably more) of people who live in Gotham who have lost everything from the Joker. But they didn’t kill Joker, Superman did. A man who willing puts his life on the line everyday, a man who is supposed to be the hero. Who is supposed to be the example for everyone else.
I think Injustice Superman crossed a line he shouldn’t have. And that caused every other problem in Injustice. Oddly enough, the world of Injustice would have been better had the Joker lived.

1 Like

2 Part Answer!

Realistically, never. That’s considered vigilante justice, and is never a good option. Nobody has the authority to take another life unless it’s in defense of their own life (ie, they have no other option). Same deal with police officers really. Everything should be done to protect lives, unless it is absolutely necessary in order to prevent further direct harm.

Fictionally, it all comes down to what’s appropriate for the character. Taking a life can be used really well as the climax of a character’s arc, but it has to be done well. Oftentimes writers have heroes kill off a villain and it’s done messily or sloppily. That feels unearned, and unsatisfying. If you are a writer and you’re going to have a hero kill a villain, do it intentionally—take the time to set it up and make sure it’s justified for the character. Sometimes it doesn’t make sense for the character (like, for any of the trinity members imo).

5 Likes

:-1:A superhero shouldn’t kill our favorite supervillains because they then can’t return in the near future.

:+1:It should be ok for a superhero to kill thugs or a not so popular supervillain to look cool and fierce.

2 Likes

Umm…I’m sorry but can you give examples to each?

too be fair I doubt any of them have the same power or guts to kill the joker.

Ironically, I’m not sure if you played but injustice 2, in there profesor zoom stated his timeline has changed so chances the injustice events weren’t suppose to happen. Also, let’s put in superman’s shoes. Wouldn’t you do the same?