Those are the ones that I can think of

1 Like

Your right also Scarecrow, killer croc ,and Bane

1 Like

And Ra’s al ghul

1 Like

And Doctor Aesop

1 Like

I’m no longer a Batman reader (it was more to my liking when I was younger) so I’m no longer familiar with the latest incarnation of the character and its fandom and shouldn’t really weigh in.

My personal feeling is that Batman should be prone to kill. The trauma he puts on normal humans should have killed them every now and then. Batman feels like Punisher, but people magically don’t die. If Batman shouldn’t kill, they should leave the Dark Knight theme behind and return to shark repellent and a fancy utility belt.

Green Lanterns are powerful enough and have the tools to do non-lethal apprehensions. I look at them as police. Avoid lethal force to the best of your ability, but as the defender of the universe you should also be prepared to do what it takes.

1 Like

Pull up your shade and look out the window! There’s protests in the streets about law enforcement killing people! A superhero killing would be even less acceptable to most people because they answer to effectively no one. Would you really be ok with a dude who flies and can’t be hurt walking around your neighborhood,killing the people he doesn’t like?

Your other examples don’t really count because they’re far removed from superheroes. Naruto is a ninja,he’s in combat with other ninjas,that’s life back then.
Goku and friends are not “fighting crime,” they’re in crazy kill or be killed battles,and they’re following the martial arts code. They aren’t snapping robber’s necks.

It’s the same reason it’s fine for sgt rock to fire a gun,or Luke Skywalker to blast some stormtroopers. But Batman going around killing people? That wouldn’t make Gotham better,it would make it far worse.

3 Likes

I’m of two minds on the topic. I think the “no kill” rule can enhance some storylines, character development, etc. or it can cause those things to stagnate. I think it makes sense for some heroes to kill, if there is no other option. Diana killing Maxwell Lord when he had control of Superman makes sense. But she’s not so defined by her “no kill” rule as Clark and Bruce are.

Ultimately, it depends on the type of story the writer wants to tell. Are they trying to do a superhero deconstruction? Is the writing trying to show far the hero has fallen? Those are two examples I could accept. However, if their killing just to be edgy… I’m going to be less forgiving.

1 Like

Well the core element is still there, bad guy does inhuman things, batman saves the day but refuses to kill because he believes he’ll be in their level but 90% it’ll be completely understandable if he chooses to kill. I think he should at least the Joker.

True, but sinestro would just keep coming back so wouldn’t it make sense if at one point they decide to kill him?

So Injustice? I was specifically talking in comics, if superman were real if would Definitely inspired people to become better and show them we can be better than those police officers.

Fair point, I just wanted to say “at least they killed the villain” but I see what you’re saying.

“Sgt rock to fire a gun” I don’t know who that is.
I never seen star wars…i seen some episodes of the clone wars but that’s about it.

what about killing to order to save future lives because you know they’ll just keep coming back?

It’s a policing force. They work with a mandate. It doesn’t matter if it makes sense to kill Sinestro. Most countries in the world has abolished the death penalty for humane reasons. It makes sense to me that a universe police would lack a Judge Dredd mandate.

3 Likes

That’s tricky. I’d buy that as a solution for some characters, Green Arrow for example. But not for someone like Batman, as he’s someone who generally sees his rouges as being curable. Oliver not so much.

1 Like

Sgt. Rock was an army guy when DC did more military things. Luke Skywalker is in a rebel army to overthrow a dictator. Those are both situations where you’re in battle,shooting at and being shot.

More importantly,you’ve never seen Star Wars?!?! Order a pizza,start at the first one,and watch them till you’re finished

2 Likes

Well, that does make sense.

I only read green arrow year one, it was a good comic he was pretty close to killing people but other than that(and JLU, and YJ) I don’t know enough about him.

Huh, I wasn’t aware of that.

Maybe when I get disney plus.

I’ve recently started reading Green Arrow/Black Canary and few stuff from the eighties (Longbow Hunters, specifically). Highly recommend! He’s definitely someone that think benefits from the “no kill” rule. Sure he has a bunch of trick arrows. But even then its pretty deadly weapon.

1 Like

It’s interesting that people are mentionIng Superman killing Joker in injustice as ok. In the original video game that is the catalyst that makes everything go to hell. (same in Justice League and Justice League unlimited with the Justice Lords). To me that seemed so out of character. I prefer the Superman that was in Joe Kelly’s “What’s So funny about truth, justice & the American way” action comics 775 and later handing of Manchester Black.

2 Likes

Batman killed 35 people from Detective 27 through 39, those are Punisher numbers. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah have the people who praised him killing in Injustice actually PLAYED Injustice?!? The whole point of the story is everything becomes terrible once he does that!

1 Like