When did Superboy start going by Connor instead of Kon-El?

So I was looking up when Superboy (Kon-El) first showed in 1993 as the Metropolis Kid. At some point he takes the mantel of Superboy as well as maintaining the MK look. Then eventually he goes with the simple black t-shirt and jeans. Also he calls himself Connor, does anybody which issue or which series that he switched from Kon-El to Connor?

2 Likes

@HubCityQuestion?

1 Like

He never went by Connor. He goes by Conner.

6 Likes

Teen Titans 2003, #1. Johns did much for Superboy’s story. Superman gave him the name Kon-El in #59 of the 1994 Superboy run, which he carried through to the 1998-2003 Young Justice run. There was about 4 months between the end of YJ and the beginning of TT in 2003 where he adopts the name Conner as his alter ego while staying in Smallville with the Kents.

6 Likes

Okay, thanks for the distinction.

2 Likes

Thanks I am trying to do a history on the changes of Superboy. Seeing where the changes in the character came along. Finding specific issues, so having being provided the specific issue #59 is very helpful. Especially since it seems by then the costume had been changed.

3 Likes

Wikipedia actually has a pretty good Superbly page. Most of his history is right there last I checked. It might save you some time unless you’re looking to do it the old fashioned way.

3 Likes

It sort of an informal history, coming from someone who doesn’t know all that much about the character. I am more curious about how the character changed over the years. So yes I will be fishing from the wikipedia page & the DC wiki. So having the specific issues is really helpful.

3 Likes

No problem. I think (could be wrong) that the first name drop of Kon-El was around #11 of YJ. Starting with Superboy 1994 then YJ 1998 & then TT 2003 is a good way to go I feel. Lets you see the changes in the character and what he is like now, for the most part. Also, after reading some of the TT run, give Infinite Crisis a look. Conner going up against Superboy Prime was pretty cool.

2 Likes

@grassy_roots hey how’d that Superboy piece turn out? If you’ve finished it I’d love to give it a read. I’ve actually been working on something similar in my free time focusing on the mythology of Superman and his evolution over the decades.

1 Like