What's your favorite DC comic book?

Currently: Hawkman. Amazing art by Bryan Hitch and magnificent storytelling by Robert Venditti. It blows all other current DC books out of the sky!
Of all-time? Wow, that’s tough. I’ve read thousands of great comics over the years, so choosing just one is difficult. But back against the wall: Batman: Year One. It’s the gold standard by which all other comics should be measured.

1 Like

All time favorite long-form series is James Robinson’s Starman. If we’re including Vertigo stuff my favorite mini-series graphic novel length is Daytripper from Moon & Ba.

My current monthly favorites are Superman and Action comics.

1 Like

Previously Detective Comics by James Tynion IV, and Hawkman Brave and Bold by Joe Kubert and Gardner For.

Currently Shazam by Geoff Johns.

2 Likes

Wow, scorpianram.10977, if we were just picking favorites from the Bronze Age you and I would be in total agreement! JLA and Brave and the Bold 1970’s are my two favorite DC books from that period. The satellite era League by Dick Dillin, O’Neill, Bates, Maggin, Conway, and Englehart and the master storytellers, Haney and Aparo, on B&B delivered great comics year after year.

1 Like

I’ll echo AngelofMusicOG, my favorite is also Superman: American Alien.

After that would be a list.

1 Like

Favorite single issue: Detective Comics #826, the Christmas issue where the Joker kidnaps Robin and goes a crime spree with him tied up in the car. It’s a simple, one-off story with no frills, but the pacing, tension, and characterization are absolutely flawless, as one would expect from Paul Dini. This is probably my favorite just in general.

Favorite story arc: Probably Knightfall. It’s really cool how they were able to have an overall story arc where each issue was its own separate adventure, but if you read them in succession, you’ve got this whole continuous story of two or three really messed-up nights in a row. It would be cool if they did more of these mega-stories with lots of smaller events taking place within the framework. I haven’t read it, but I think No Man’s Land worked that way too.

Favorite series: Would it be cheating to say something as long-running as Detective Comics? I feel like that would be cheating, so I’m going to call this a toss-up between Nightwing '96 and Birds of Prey '98. They’re both just really fun reads.

Favorite right now: Honestly, I’m not great about keeping up with new books, but I’ve read all the issues of Detective Comics Rebirth that have been collected in trades so far, so I’ll go with that.