What Would You Fix?

There really is a very simple solution to this: have it as a job requirement that all the directors watch every episode of the DCAU. (With an addition of at least 5 comic series on their main hero, all from different time periods.)

3 Likes

Man of Steel is the one I’d tinker with the most. I’m just not a fan of the basic pitch: Superman 1&2 remade in the style of Batman Begins. If I could make only a minor change, I’d get rid of Jonathan Kent’s “Maybe” line. If I could make only one major change, I’d replace General Zod with Brainiac simply for the sake of variety. If I were given full creative control, the results would be an entirely different film altogether.

With Batman v Superman, the change is pretty simple: take all of the “Dawn of Justice” elements and split them off into their own sequel. Diana Prince could still appear in the movie, but not as Wonder Woman. No other superhero cameos. No Doomsday. No death of Superman. No New Gods. Save all of that stuff for a Superman-Batman-Wonder Woman film released after Wondy’s solo movie.

Suicide Squad is an easy fix: don’t butcher it in post-production.

Wonder Woman is also an easy fix: remove the final fight with Ares.

Justice League would be the movie I mentioned above. Doomsday arrives on Earth (let’s say…sent by Darkseid, because why not?), Bruce talks Diana and Arthur into helping Superman with the crisis, and the Man of Steel dies at the end. Scrap Flash altogether. Maybe save Cyborg for the sequel, Invasion of the Parademons.

Aquaman and Shazam are fine as is. Rename Birds of Prey.

1 Like

Wait… You want the Directors to actually know something about what they are creating?!

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat! :scream:

Obvious sarcasm is Obvious

4 Likes

I know, its asking a lot. (And before you ask, expect an update Monday)

2 Likes

This actually sums up perfectly how I feel on the subject.

3 Likes

I enjoy the DCEU movies for the most part, the problem is each of them has things that just hurt the movie. Man of Steel brings up fascinating topics concerning Superman. The concept of being an alien, not knowing your origins, really cool things. But it also lacked an emotional anchor. You put in an emotional pivot point for Superman and cut the last fight scenes to a less exhausting length, you have a much better film.

BvS, don’t have Batman kill and brand people. What was the point of that? It made no sense whatsoever, I don’t care whether that’s his low point or not. Also, no Doomsday and no Death of Superman. Too much to put in there.

1 Like

I can’t tell if that was a joke about his name. I thought the movie was great.

4 Likes

Yes and sort of.

Captain Marvel joke, and It didn’t feel like a DC movie to me, it was too… Deadpoolish? Don’t get me wrong it was good, just too much comedy? I dunno it never flowed right for me.

I feel like it was supposed to be a bit more funny and family friendly. Shazam’s never been much of a dark and grim character. He’s a kid.

2 Likes

yeah, but there was such a weird flow between really dark scenes and Lighthearted humor

Clarification; sorry I didn’t specify, but I meant DC movies in general, not just DCEU. I’d like to see someone talk about Catwoman or Batman forever not just Justice league or BVS.

1 Like

Catwoman:

1. Go with the Darwyn Cooke costume.
  2. Change the villain to Black Mask.
1 Like

I have been waiting for this opportunity.
If I could pick one movie and change it, it would be Suicide Squad. It’s not a secret that people didn’t like the Joker in that movie. Here’s my change: Joker should not have been in the movie. Instead, the character in Joker’s place is Bruno Manheim. Think about it. He’s the leader of a massive syndicate, and he could attempt to capture Enchantress to try and turn her into a weapon. (This would obviously fail, and we would still get most of the movie with Enchantress as the villain) Also, this way, we can use Joker as some kind of specter looming over Harley. We can address the theme of abuse, we can have Harley grow as a character. It’s a win-win. And all we had to do is get rid of Joker.

2 Likes

Try a movie that’s not overly dark but not overly comedic like Aquaman and I would say my favorite DCEU movie Shazam

I was hoping for someone to bring up Catwoman.

1 Like

I honestly really like the way that DC is trending right now. They’re really trusting their directors to make the films and shows that they want to make and that’s how it should be. Let’s be frank, if Joker was pitched just 3 or 4 years ago to WB, they would’ve turned it down before giving it a second thought. I’m not saying Joker was revolutionary (though I did like it quite a bit), but it just shows how much trust WB has in their creators. Same deal with Shazam. They trusted one of DC’s most campy, lighthearted characters with a director who had up until that point only worked on relatively low-budget horror films. Like, what? And it turned out great! Also: look at every show on this service. Last week a Harley Quinn episode aired complete with a dude in a “Release the Snyder Cut” t-shirt. If that’s not 100% studio trust, I’m not sure what is.

I’m also really excited to see what happens with this new Batman film. We can debate all day about appropriate casting choices (I personally like what they did there), but from what has been leaked from the plot, it looks like they’re just giving Matt Reeve’s the reins to do the Batman film that he wants: a noir detective movie with way more villains than should ever be in a superhero movie. Given what I’ve seen of Matt Reeve’s work, I say that’s the best thing DC and WB could do with (arguably) their most popular character.

3 Likes

After reading through the thread a bit more, I think I misinterpreted it a bit. If we’re talking about what we would go back and change regardless of time, there’s definitely some flaws out there. I’d probably go back and overhaul the entire script to the Batman '89 movie. I’d get rid of the goofy reporter guy and Vicki Vale entirely probably. Or at the very least tone them both down to side characters rather than main characters. They get so much screen time that sometimes it feels like the movie’s about them instead of Batman. Most of the dialogue needs to be overhauled too. Joker’s motivations need a complete reworking. I’m still confused about what is goal was. Also, get rid of the whole, Joker killed Batman’s parents. I guess what I’m saying is keep the tone and the performances by Nicholson and Keaton, but make a different movie.

1 Like

Goofy reporter guy? GOOFY REPORTER GUY?!

Anyway, I disagree. I think it’s essential that the story is told from the perspective of outsiders instead of from Bruce’s POV. It’s hard to identify with a crazy billionaire who dresses up in a rubber bat costume.

3 Likes

I agree. I thought it was really cool how Batman was seen more as an entity or creature of the night by the other people of Gotham.

2 Likes

That’s just my opinion of course. I don’t have any nostalgia glasses for it because I wasn’t alive when it came out, so I’m a bit harsher on it than is probably appropriate too. I just didn’t get any idea from the movie about why Bruce Wayne is Batman. The character didn’t show through for me.

2 Likes