What’s Everyone’s Thoughts on the Joker (2019) Movie?

@StrangeVisitor

AND, in this case, what they are willing to pay out to you. Although it appears that these were contracts negotiated by the previous regime.

However it all played, David Zaslav was the one who officially greenlit it back in June.

And it was a week later that it was reported that Lady Gaga was in talks to be in it.

So however the negations played out, David Zaslav was the one who gave the final go ahead.

And of course I really don’t truly care about the overall health of the DCU.

No, just give me movies that I like and I’m good. :smile:

It had a go ahead before the merger was finalized. But you are technically correct; unless those were Pay to Play contracts, Zaslav could have put the kibosh on them.

But this is all playacting with vocabulary.

My original points stand: it will be far more expensive than the first movie, coast far more to promote, make far, far less money, and therefore be far, far less profitable.

@StrangeVisitor

My original points stand: it will be far more expensive than the first movie, coast far more to promote, make far, far less money, and therefore be far, far less profitable.

Yeah, the first movie cost $60 million and this one is going to cost about $150 million. So this movie would have to absolutely tank to not make money.

And yeah, for a movie like the Joker sequel, I don’t think profitability matters as much as say any of these new DCU movies.

The Constantine sequel would fall in that category too.

Obviously they want them to make money, but an entire connected cinematic universe isn’t dependent on the success of a movie like Joker: Folie à Deux or the Constantine sequel.

The Robert De Niro mob movie Wise Guys was the first original Warner Bros. movie that Zaslav greenlit.

I lump Joker: Folie à Deux and Constantine 2 in with that. In that these are just movies that Warner Bros. does as a normal course of buiness. They’re not “DCU” movies.

The Ta-Nehisi Coates Black Superman movie would be like that too. The rumors are that that movie is being developed as an Oscar caliber movie, written to be up for consideration for things like Best Picture. Kind of like how the first Joker movie was.

And considering it’s Ta-Nehisi Coates, that would make sense, because that’s the kind of writer he is – he writes pretentious stuff. (And I love his writing.) :smile:

Anyway, they’re not four-quadrant movies for the whole family to go and see.

They’re vanity projects, or prestige projects. Not projects where they expect to make huge bank on.

James Gunn’s Superman movie… I imagine they expect to make huge bank on that. That’s going to be a four-quadrant movie for the whole family to go and see (at least I assume it will be). So that’s the kind of movie that’s expected to have a huge box office.