What’s Everyone’s Thoughts on the Joker (2019) Movie?

I’m happy for you, really. Like I said before, not my cup o’ tea, but if it makes fans happy and generates money for WB to make other DC stuffs…

Just hope that they don’t take all their movies in this depressing, hyper realistic, “grounded” or what have you direction. Joker, The Batman, and now this… :unamused:

1 Like

@moro

No, I imagine only certain movies will be like the Joker and The Batman.

Warner Bros. is cool like that, they can do all kinds of flavors.

If you connect everything, everything pretty much has to be the same.

If you do like what Warner Bros. is doing, you can just tell whatever kind of story you want to tell.

Even a musical with Lady Gaga. :smiling_face:

1 Like

A random thought on Lady Gaga:

Looking back at “Paparazzi”…

…and I guess she’s been doing a little bit of a Harley Quinn for years.

She is such a cool casting choice. :smiling_face:

And while I’m more of a Jazz snob – give me some Miles, maybe a little Ornette Coleman; or someone a bit more obscure like Wadada Leo Smith… or someone from today like Ambrose Akinmusire, or Christian Scott and his flamboyant dressing self, and back when he covered that Thom Yorke song… give me that and I’m good.

But I do love a good Pop hook, and “Paparazzi” has a great Pop hook; that and the “Poker Face” hook are so much fun to me. The song themselves I can take or leave, but those hooks are killer.

Speaking of The Killers and killer hooks…

And let me stop before I get carried away.

Lady Gaga, though… great pick. And making this a musical is going to be so much fun.

Okay, one more:

Kid Cudi with Kanye and Common and the Lady Gaga “Poker Face” sample…

Okay… go it out of my system. :slightly_smiling_face:

(And Common would have probably been a pretty cool John Stewart; he wanted to play him… )

Anyway, I guess this movie is going to cost a bit more than the $60 million for the first one.

One of the reasons is that Joaquin Phoenix is getting a pay raise.

I guess he got $4.5 million for the first movie. He’s getting $20 million for Joker: Folie à deux.

I’m quite sure Todd Phillips is getting a bump up too from whatever he got the first time around.

And Lady Gaga is going to come at a price too, no doubt – she’s halfway to an EGOT. She has an Oscar and Grammys. She probably won’t get an Emmy or Tony though… maybe a Tony, I don’t really see her doing much television for an Emmy though.

Oscar and Grammy nominations I see for this though. And this is probably going to be one of those vanity projects that studios like to do for bragging rights.

The blockbusters pay the bills, and these kind of movies you do to show off to your pretentious friends…

Unless of course you make a billions dollars like the first one did, then you have it all.

Joker, Joker Joker…

Joker: Folie à Deux stuff:

Zazie Beetz is in talks to reprise her role as Sophie Dumond in Joker: Folie à Deux.

According to Deadline, Beetz may reprise her role in the upcoming sequel to 2019’s Joker. In that film, Dumond was a single mother who became the obsession of Arthur Fleck (Joaquin Phoenix). If Beetz does indeed return for Joker: Folie à Deux, she’ll once again star alongside Phoenix as Fleck. They’ll be joined by Lady Gaga as Dr. Harleen Quinzel/Harley Quinn, whose casting was officially announced earlier this month.

Fine to me if she does, fine to me if she doesn’t.

A potential “love triangle” I guess could be in the offing if she does… so that could be interesting.

And this…

The original Joker – which told the origin of the villain while drawing inspiration from Martin Scorsese’s Taxi Driver and The King of Comedy – was a box office smash and even earned Joaquin Phoenix an Oscar for Best Actor.

However, it also was the subject of controversy for the ways it addressed issues such as mental illness and violence. With the original film’s director, Todd Phillips returning along with Phoenix, the sequel has the potential to shake up the comic book movie world again. Not only will the film address controversial subjects, but it will also set itself apart through the type of movie it will be, with one of the most popular singers/songwriters in the world in tow.

Shake it up.

Why not. :blush:

Joker: Folie à Deux looks ready to court controversy again with its depiction of the mentally ill since it will allegedly be largely set in the infamous Arkham Asylum. Not only will the movie likely show the titular villain interacting with other patients but also starting his relationship with Dr. Harleen Quinzel, a.k.a. Harley Quinn. As previously established, the Crown Prince of Crime seduced and brainwashed Quinn in the asylum, eventually driving her to stray from her initial calling as a psychologist.

Thinking about it, I’m not sure how you can depict mental illness in a controversial way.

Pretty much anything you do you can just say, “Well, this is the story. It may be disturbing or controversial, but it’s the story.”

I don’t know… I guess I have to think on it more.

The depiction of the relationship between Joker and Harley should also stir things up with viewers since many have rightfully termed their relationship as abusive. Neither Phillips, Phoenix, nor Gaga has ever been one to shy away from controversy, so it can be expected that the second Joker will follow the first film’s lead and depict the relationship in a disturbing way – which could be potentially triggering to a good percentage of viewers.

I can see that possibly happening.

And that would probably help the box office, so…

Another aspect of Joker: Folie à Deux that will make it jarring to some is that it is expected to be a musical. Although some comic book movies and TV shows – Peacemaker being a very good example – are known for their soundtracks, they do not usually feature musical numbers throughout with actors singing and dancing. It will be interesting to see if mass audiences go along with Phillips’ unique vision for the film.

Setting it in Arkham gives it the perfect setting and vehicle for a musical – just say it’s all in his head.

The Bathroom Dance Scene from the Joker, with the excellent Hildur Guðnadóttir

Director Todd Phillips dove into the meaning behind the pivotal bathroom scene in “Joker” during the Variety Screening Series presented by Vudu. Played by Joaquin Phoenix, failed stand-up comedian Arthur Fleck slowly transforms into the murderous villain in Phillips’ movie, which picked up 11 Oscar nods, the most of any film this year.

Yeah, it’s all in his head.

Some fans also may not be ready for another actor to take on the role of Harley Quinn after Margot Robbie did it so well in three DC movies – and has not relinquished the character yet. However, it has been established that Phillips’ Joker films are in a separate universe from the other DC films. And Gaga has proven herself to be a strong, versatile performer in movies like A Star is Born and even almost appeared in Bullet Train. No matter how much her Harley differs from Robbie’s, audiences can expect her to give the role her all – which is what the character deserves.

I only saw her in the James Gunn movie, but I personally never really cared for Margot Robbie’s take, so no issue for me.

And of course I’m sure I will herald Lady Gaga’s Harley Quinn as stupendous, and marvelous, and this and that, and… just the beginning and ending and everything in-between. :smile:

Audiences have a long wait ahead for Joker: Folie à Deux, but that may be a blessing in disguise for fans. In the end, the prolonged release gives Phillips and his crew more time to make a better, more carefully crafted movie for audiences to watch and enjoy – or argue about.

Yep… let’s go.

More Joker stuff…

Yes, it is a perfect title.

Occasionally… a story comes about and demonstrates true uniqueness with its titles. One of the most prominent examples in recent memory is the now-confirmed title for Joker 2 starring Joaquin Phoenix and Lady Gaga, Joker: Folie à Deux. This title is unique in its layered meaning. Not only is it as unique as the film will no doubt be, but it also contains three different and significant meanings, which are highly relevant for the protagonists.

The first meaning, as is often noted because of its use in English-speaking culture, is that a Folie à Deux is a mental disorder shared or exacerbated by two people. An example of this would be a pair of people who are pathologically co-dependent, as this is an illness that the two of them share and exacerbate between them. Naturally, for Arthur Fleck, established in this universe to suffer from multiple trauma-induced conditions, it seems likely that his conditions will be exacerbated by Harley’s obsession with him and vice versa.

The next follows a more literal translation of the phrase: “a mistake made by two people.” Whether fans of animation, motion pictures or comic books themselves, those who follow the relationship between Joker and Harley can attest that any version of it is a massive mistake. Joker is an abusive partner, and Harley’s wholehearted endorsement of the Clown Prince of Crime makes her a dangerous ally. Whether for themselves or for the world, Joker and Harley’s relationship in the second Joker movie is certain to be a shared mistake.

Finally, the most literal translation of the phrase is a “two-person folly,” which carries the previous implications but with an added meaning in English. A folly in English means a mistake, but follies are also a name for lighthearted musical numbers, especially during the black and white era. With Joker: Folie à Deux changing its genre and becoming a musical, the “folly” aspect is no doubt a callback to classic cinema, the most literal translation even as the other two are more prescient for American moviegoers.

Movie titles are intended to give potential viewers hints at what they are going to see, and the vast majority of them do just that. However, in a more connected world, one doesn’t need to be reminded that the movie in question is the second or third in the series, especially since any given series outline is just a Google search away. Doubtless, Joker: Folie à Deux will be notable for a plethora of reasons. For now, though, one reason it stands out among the crowd is simply its title.

Yep, everything is coming together rather nicely.

And a new cast member…

EXCLUSIVE: Brendan Gleeson is set to join Joaquin Phoenix and Lady Gaga in Todd Phillips’ Joker sequel, Joker: Folie à Deux for Warner Bros. and DC Films. Deadline recently broke the news that Zazie Beetz would be returning to reprise her role. Warner Bros. also recently announced that the film would bow on Oct. 4, 2024. Production is expected to get under way this December.

Warner Bros. had no comment on the casting.

Phillips is returning to direct and also co-wrote the script with Scott Silver, who penned the original pic. Not much is known about the sequel though insiders believe it will have musical elements and will also be set in Arkham Asylum, which is where the first film leaves off after Arthur Fleck (Phoenix) has been sent there. It is also unknown who Gleeson will be playing.

I’m not familiar with his work, but John Campea seems to like him…

He has an interesting look, so that’s cool.

Anyway, I already think the first Joker is the greatest comic book movie ever made, this one may rival it and top it.

It’s already off to a flying start with me. I’m already more interested in it than I was for the first one.

I absolutely…LOVED IT! More and more, I want films that make me feel something, rather than 'that was fun, so what’s for dinner?" So much, I couldn’t help but write about it

The sequel to Joker, fully titled Joker: Folie à Deux, just unleashed its first official image, showcasing imagery that’s as bleak and solipsistic as its predecessor.

The return of star Joaquin Phoenix to his role as Arthur Fleck, a.k.a. the Joker, in the upcoming follow-up film, has been given glance, albeit one that’s ever-so-small. The image comes straight from the source, director Todd Phillips, who used his Instagram to sneak in a Saturday afternoon surprise for fans. While not overtly revelatory when it comes to the film’s plot, the image does show that Arthur, presumably still at Arkham Asylum, where the story last left him. However, he is depicted shirtless with his head seemingly pushed against a table with shaving cream covering his face as an unidentified figure gives him an uncomfortable-looking shave.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CmAGaZcyNFP/

Pretty neat.

1 Like

I’ll offer the following observations:

Musicals do not, historically, make anywhere near $1B.
Assuming the reporting is true, the quote where Todd told Jaquin, “we get to take WB’s money and do whatever TF we want” seems prescient here, what with making a musical as a sequel since it seems like the reaction to: you want another movie just because this one was so profitable, even though I’ve already said it was a one-off and none of us want to do it again?
Also, even if this sequel still doesn’t have any special effects, etc. etc., it will definitely cost a lot more considering they are paying out all these additional millions - I mean, does anyone really think that Gaga is worth $10M in salary? Even having to pay more for choreography, rehearsals, music, etc., will be additional costs.

Finally, I’m even less interested in this movie than I was in the first one and I wasn’t interested at all in the first one.

2 Likes

agreed 100% the movie pretty much could be a play on mental health issues with criminals, the " Criminally Insane " defense. Hence why he ended up in Arkham Asylum,

I don’t look it at as a super hero movie, i think it is far from it. This is an origin story of The Joker, but it is one persons take on The Joker.

The Bruce Wayne references and cameos of the Wayne family were not even really necessary. The idea that Thomas Wayne had an affair was interesting and that Bruce and ffs I already forgot this Jokers name, to suggest they were half brothers, was interesting, but for me none of it was necessary.

All I took away from the Wayne family angel was confusion, and was it meant to be a stand alone movie or was it meant to fit in with the current run of DC movies, and if so where.

But portraying The Joker as an honest victim of mental health issues and completely detached from reality is really interesting in art portraying life, because it forces people to think and debate an ethical and moral dilemma.

In the end no one wins and there is no real justice, the system that was put in place to help people failed, common human decency failed when the Joker was assaulted by a group of teens and his boss didn’t care why the sign was lost or destroyed, his coworker for some weird reason felt the need to tempt him with needing to have a gun which could have been an attempt on his part to get rid of a weapon used in a crime, and framing him in the process if he ever got caught with it so he didnt get caught.

In this version of The Joker, he became a killer through no real fault of his own, but through a set of circumstances that was out of his control; and by losing funding for his needed medication lost the last thing that was keeping him off the edge of committing murder.

No one in this story really did anything to try to help a lonely mentally disabled person that was caring for his mother who had her own set of mental issues, he was just this over looked by society and no one cared to give him a second look or even consider him to be anything, until they saw him in his clown make up and started killing.

So the Wayne/ Batman mythos that was sprinkled in was just needless filler. to appease Batman fans and make a link for the future of linking the two together in the future. But in this version, Bruce Wayne being a child, and Joker being a man possibly in his late 20s early thirties, by the time Bruce Wayne becomes Batman in this version, The joker should be what some where in his late 40s maybe early to mid 50s?

I think it was an excellent movie on a rational answer for an origin story for how someone became a criminal.

How all of this will evolve in the sequel I have no clue, but I am not keen on gaga being harley quinn, and if they throw in Batman in the next one, they are going to have a tough time lining up the ages to make sense. An they will have to tell people how long he has been in Arkham and explain his progress or lack their of.

1 Like

Frozen. Lion king. Snow White. Sound of Music.

1 Like

Frozen is an animated movie. Two of those movies is older than the hill. It’s like using Donnerverse Superman as rationale that a DC movie or a Superman movie will always be a success (since it remains one the gold standards for actual tickets sold to a movie DC property). Lion King is probably the only decent, real example and it’s a live action version of an animated movie.

I don’t see anyone tossing West End Story, In The Heights, Respect, or Cats (among any other number of recent musicals that have bombed, barely made their money back, or barely eked out a profit) as defense.

1 Like

The Live Action Beauty and the Beast.

2 Likes

See the comment respecting the live action The Lion King.

Feel free to screen cap my comment. The cast will collect their millions, as will the director and the movie will not bomb, but expecting it to make even anywhere near a billion is not, IMHO, going to happen.

People just aren’t that interested in musicals, much less a musical in this genre and this is literally Todd Phillips taking Warner Brother’s money and setting it on fire.

1 Like

If they market it right, it should do well

3 Likes

They’re taking a risk, which I feel people would appreciate more. All the time people complain about these remakes, retreads, legacy sequels like Candyman (2021) for example. Then you have the cookie cutter, conveyor belt of material like the MCU. A movie such as the first Joker film meets musical? Good idea? Let’s reserve judgement until we see it. But certainly an original idea.

1 Like

Hey does anyone remember Gaggy, one of Jokers original henchmen from the comics, if so, take a look back at the scene where Arthur Fleck, ( finally got his name again ) was in his apartment with Randall ( dude who gave him the gun which I still think the guy was a criminal trying to get rid of a gun and set Arthur up for a crime he committed but that was never played out, and it should have because it made zero sense for a random coworker who isn’t really BFFS with Arthur to just go, oh hey buddy , you need protection here ya go ) okay anyhow so he is in his apartment or rather an apartment, I forget whos’ anyhow, Randall is there and guess who else is there… Gary, the midget/ little person, which ever could, and mind you , in that scene Arthur lets Gary go, and helps unlock the door and gives him a smooch and tells him he likes him, Could this be a pre Gaggy, ( who in the comics was I think Gagsworth A. Gagsworthy, But ya know for the movie, Gary, easily down the road changes to an alias of, Gaggy.

Works for me.

Egg Sammich

@StrangeVisitor

I’ll offer the following observations:

Musicals do not, historically, make anywhere near $1B.
Assuming the reporting is true, the quote where Todd told Jaquin, “we get to take WB’s money and do whatever TF we want” seems prescient here, what with making a musical as a sequel since it seems like the reaction to: you want another movie just because this one was so profitable, even though I’ve already said it was a one-off and none of us want to do it again?
Also, even if this sequel still doesn’t have any special effects, etc. etc., it will definitely cost a lot more considering they are paying out all these additional millions - I mean, does anyone really think that Gaga is worth $10M in salary? Even having to pay more for choreography, rehearsals, music, etc., will be additional costs.

Finally, I’m even less interested in this movie than I was in the first one and I wasn’t interested at all in the first one.

Yeah, the first one making a billion was probably a fluke.

And this one I’m guessing will make about $400 or $500 million.

And it’ll probably cost about $150 million to make due to the huge salaries – Phoenix $20 million and Lady Gaga $10 million.

So it’ll probably make a little money and that’ll be that. And that’ll be the end of it.

And as far as Lady Gaga’s salary goes, you get paid what you can negotiate, not what you’re worth. That goes for anybody.

And yeah, this is the only Warner Bros. movie that I’m interested in.

The Batman sequel I’m still kind of interested in, but eh… I can take it or leave it.

And that’s because the Ta-Nehisi Coates Black Superman movie is still not dead…

Additionally, Variety sources said the new Gunn project will not replace the previously announced J.J. Abrams-Ta-Nehisi Coates Superman concept (which is still in active development).

So Joker: Folie à Deux and Black Superman for me.

Those are my jams. :smile:

AND, in this case, what they are willing to pay out to you. Although it appears that these were contracts negotiated by the previous regime.

@SkylerSneathen It’s possible that I’ve seen more of Todd’s films than most people here, since I knew who he was well before The Joker was green lit. And, in a universe where we get a large and broad selection of live action DC action (which is the universe where that first film existed), I fully agree with you (and with @ds090ddsl apparent attraction towards some unique and different takes with DC Characters), I am fully on board with the idea of The Joker and what it represents.

But in a universe where things like Strange Adventures are being killed in their nascent development or something that has finishing principal photography like Batgirls, and where a variety of projects are being killed meaning they are focusing only on what they think will make the maximum amount of box office - this doesn’t reflect interest in originality, or risk taking.

No but eh…happiness is always temporary for everyone, if they even can find it.

I liked Dumbledore’s take on this better, ol’ chum.