What made you drop a book?

I rarely drop a comic. I like to give everything a chance and just let it play out, agree with it’s direction or not. I usually read completed stories and so not much time nor money is wasted!

I will drop if I find myself:
a)not caring what happens next…or not caring about the character(s), or
b)utterly confused about what the hell is going on.
Given that I mostly follow comics about my favorite characters, neither one happens very often :slight_smile:

1 Like

When they shot Nightwing in the head.

2 Likes

Usually if it’s just not doing it for me. I’m always willing to give new creative teams or directions a shot and know not every arc of every book will be amazing, but if I’m not excited about a book for a few arcs I’m probably going to save some $ and straight drop it, trade wait it, or maybe now even read it here.

I recently trimmed my list of titles down, due to:

A. Lack of interest (Heroes in Crisis, Wonder Woman)

1. Wanting to have more titles to read in trade (Aquaman, Batman and The Flash)

I dropped Doomsday Clock after seeing Rorschach and seeing the comedian back again

I dropped Detective after they changed the creative team. I was hoping James Tynion IV would write until #1000.

Oh and I also dropped Batman after “The Gift”. After how horrible that was, I didn’t need to read anymore of King’s Batman. How badly Booster was portrayed is part of why I haven’t picked up “Heroes in Crisis”. Well that and what happened to Wally and the rest of the Titans.

4 Likes

I usually drop a book when a new creative team takes over. I try to give talent that I’m unfamiliar with a chance, but I’ve found that there’s too big of a drop in quality when it shifts.

2 Likes

I dropped Detective Comics after Tynion’s run ended.

I dropped the Injustice prequel series after missing too many issues

Mostly, I drop a series after either the creative team changes or I can’t afford to read it

I’ll drop a book if I stop enjoying it for 3-4 issues. That number can go up or down depending on the character. Also, sometimes I’ll drop a book at the end of an arc if I need a break from the character. With some characters like The Punisher, Green Arrow, and Nightwing I just don’t need to read them monthly for all eternity.

Close to dropping Action Comics-ha e not enjoyed the storylines in a while and if it wasn’t Action I would have already dropped it. Got rid of Red Hood after The Outsiders left.

Incoherent storylines or boring story lines or status quo storylines

1 Like

I never drop due to artwork because if it’s that bad the artist will likely get pulled of the book

I can’t read a book if I don’t like the art. The story could be the best ever written but if the art doesn’t appeal to me, I just can’t get through it.

1 Like

When I dropped JLA and JLE in the '90s, it was because the writers changed. And the tone changed. Most of the characters stayed, but some of them didn’t ‘sound’ right anymore.

I dropped Brubaker’s Catwoman when Paul Gulacy came on as artist. I loved his work in Six From Sirius, but his style was a 180-degree change from what I’d gotten used to in Catwoman. It no longer felt like the same comic, so it got dropped.

New Mutants… After the Beyonder killed the team and Sienkewicz had left, I couldn’t get into the Hellions storyline, so I ended up dropping the book and used the Beyonder death and the next issue (with the ‘rising from the graves’ cover) as unofficial ‘last issues’ of the series.
Thankfully, I was gone long before Liefeld and Cable arrived.

The only thing that really makes me drop a book is boredom. I don’t read a lot of books from week to week, so if I’m being entertained, I keep reading the book. If not

2 Likes

For me it’s two things:

1. When the creative teams change and the stories aren’t interesting. I usually try to give any new team three issues. Around that third issue you can see if something is your cup of tea or not. If it is, continue. If it’s not, you gave it a shot and made an informed decision if this is for you or not.

2. Anything overly political. If it’s done subtlety through good writing, then I’m all for that because that’s a skill. If the writer all but stops a story to make some sort of political statement (no matter which side of an issue they’re on) then I mentally check out. Much like a new creative team, I try to give the book a few more issues.

3 Likes

I mainly read books for the characters. If the characters are boring, or if the reasons don’t really make sense for why they are there, then I drop the book. Perfect example is of Titans Rebirth. After they got rid of the entire team in like two issues, then just threw in seemingly random heroes for the new team, I dropped it.

4 Likes

Crossovers. I mostly hate them. I just want to read a book and not have to worry about other crap. Also, twice a month shipping also sucks (for my wallet), so I’ve dropped over that before too.