“What Just Happened?” Batman Ninja That’s What

So watched Batman Ninja last night… been flowing through my head all day… WTF?

5 Likes

Japan is a weird and mysterious place with a long history. Other than that, I got nothin’ :thinking:

4 Likes

I’m in the minority on that one. I actually loved the art in it. I love when they switch up styles in comics too. That’s why I love crossovers, long arcs, & maxi-series. Not only love heavy reading, but I also love seeing 4-5 different artists’ takes on the same characters, places, etc. mon-kee-kee I won’t defend lol. I get the Monchhichi reference, probably one of the few who did, unless you’re old like me? Showing my age, but I still remember part of the commercial theme song. Monchhichi, Monchhichi so soft & cudd-il-ly. I refuse to apologize for that lol.

6 Likes

I liked it.

3 Likes

There’s my back up. Just in time.

1 Like

I couldn’t have worded it any better, @jt_rabblerowser! I tried to watch and had to shut it down. HOWEVER, @capo-mage, you are not alone. 1 of us was completely offended and their head exploded and 1 of us liked it. :joy:

1 Like

I liked it and the Batman: Gotham Knight the animated anthology. Just not something I would revisit often. Not my cuppa as the Brits would say.

4 Likes

I’ll give that an OY!!!

1 Like

I enjoyed it, especially the character designs, but it really was a trip. -C

1 Like

I feel the exact same way

Don’t get me wrong I liked it but like @thrakaboom said it was a trip alot going on but the art and style of it were amazing and seeing joker and harley normal for even that short second was kind of refreshing lol. The gundum style robot battle at the end though was a little overplayed though would have killed it with a big ninja style brawl I think cuz batman don’t need no giant monkey bat monster to fight his battles for him​:martial_arts_uniform::boxing_glove::1st_place_medal:

1 Like

I enjoy it in the same way that I enjoy, say, Rocky Horror Picture Show, it’s fun, but partially because it’s fun to laugh at it. It’s so bad it’s good.

2 Likes

Well it was ok. Think it would have been better if they made it more like Ninja Scroll. Really weak plot
Coming from a longtime Batfan, he’s a loner. Always has been. I see now why someone wrote an article about how the Bat family just doesn’t fit. It’s much more pronounced in this movie too and just confirms that all the more
Just way too much going on in here. It’s like they tried to pump in as much as they could of every anime trope they could and did a lousy job along the way
2/10

1 Like

Batman Ninja could have been cool. But then it went all sorts of power ranger and turned Damian into a weird little monkey baby boy.

2 Likes

As a fan of older anime like @capo-mage and gloriously so-bad-they’re-good films like @Jay_Kay, I totally enjoyed the ride. A part of me wishes they did go a more serious route in the anime style, but Batman Ninja was so off the wall and unpredictable that it made for a refreshing watch. And for those who have seen a lot of older Japanese media, the little nods to the tropes of the industry were fun.

I watched in both English and Japanese, and was surprised at how different the dialogue was (the English was more weird/confusing). I’m not sure of his source, but my friend told me that when the Japanese studio originally sent the film over for dubbing, they didn’t provide a full translation of the script; the English writers wound up having to wing it. If that’s true, it makes a lot of sense. See the Japanese version if you’re able!

4 Likes

noted on the sub, can’t seem to find an option to switch on the site? Where did you see it in Japanese?

It’s not to my taste either- I wanted more character exploration/some actual screen time for Dick, Jason, Tim and Dami - but I really loved the animation and their take on the Joker. Absolutely excellent English VA

2 Likes

I had preordered a copy of the movie. Sorry that’s of no help. Maybe dropping a request to add the subbed version to the library would get it on here

2 Likes

Batman: Ninja is a delightfully bonkers adventure that I enjoy more and more with each viewing.

It’s second only to Batman: Mask of the Phantasm in terms of my favorite animated Batman movies.

1 Like

Thanks, that still helps! It’s in the discount bin at my local shop

2 Likes

@LadyoftheShield For what it’s worth, I’m not sure if seeing it in Japanese will make you like it better, but it helped me. I love a lot of the american cast, but the Japanese felt a smidge more coherent :wink:

1 Like