What is the best comic book series for somebody new to comics?

I have been a fan of DC for a long time though I never really read the comics. I was mostly into the animated movies and tv shows. Though now since I have the opportunity to start reading comics. I don’t know where to start.

5 Likes

The DC tv shows and movies that you enjoy all have tons of parent comics. Seek out–new and old–comics that your favorite shows and movies are based on. For example, if you are a fan of Arrow get a copy of Mike Grell’s “The Longbow Hunters”. Flash? Read the Mark Waid and Geoff Johns “runs” of the Scarlet Speedster. Batman? How much time do you have? You are about to embark on a wonderful journey through the voluminous canon that is the DC comics. I envy you. Oh, as a wise man used to say–ENJOY!

1 Like

I only started reading comics about 3 years ago, so I am relatively new to reading.
I cant thoroughly answer your question, but the first step is find out which characters you want to know more about.

It’s good to note about comic continuity at the present. As of now, DC was at its Rebrith era, which is the era after New 52. The New 52 was a clean slate for all the characters with new origins or new retellings of origin. Rebirth takes some of good stuff pre-New 52 (that people loved and that wasnt in New 52) and merges them together in continuity that is currently established.

Google “top 5” or “top 10” story lines for your hero/villain of interest and from there you can learn more about that person(s) of interest.

I believe comics is a place for self discovery. I just googled, talked to others about comics and reading. If you have access to a local comic shop, I highly suggest you go there and ask about. This lead me to actually know about the history about the characters I loved and the writers and artist for the story lines.

My favorite hero has always been Batman. For him I can recommend reading the story arcs : Hush (my all time fav), The Court of Owls, No Man’s Land, The Dark Knight Returns, Batman Year One.
Geoff Johns’ 9 year run Green Lantern is absolutely a masterpiece.
Marv Wolfman’s and George Perez’s The New Teen Titans is amazing, Scott Snyder’s New 52 Batman run is phenomenal.
George Perez’s re-introduction of Wonder Woman in 1987 is my all time favorite rendition of Wonder Woman.
These are several of my favorite story arcs and authors.

All you have to do is ask and research then the adventure begins.

2 Likes

Maybe The New 52 Justice League series? It was the first series of a new continuity and is something you can pick up easily and dive right into. Plus you get oodles of characters all in one title.

The digital trades are on sale for $4.99 until January 2nd. Good time to stock up.

3 Likes

@abfgmsw. Thank you a lot for actually replying and no actually I have never watched Secret Origin: The Story of DC Comics though I would love to when I can. Also two your other question about me reading other comic books I am currently waiting for the rest of Teen Titans (2003-) to become available and All-Star Superman (2010-). Sorry about that I forgot to mention my interest in characters though I am open-minded (at least I think) in what I read. I mostly enjoy things that are about supervillains and things that get right into the action. Like Harley Quinn, Teen Titans, Superman, Batman, Bat Family, Etcetera. So I guess stuff that gets you goosebumps all over.

If you want goosebumps of excitement, check out N52 JL and Rebirth Superman. Primo goosebumpage.

2 Likes

@Vroom. Thanks, honestly I was really skeptical about the new 52. The reason being that it seems sort of confusing. Though I’ll take your word for it.

@Vroom. Thanks again honestly I didn’t think really think that much on the new 52. Though I just read flashpoint like an hour ago and I can’t wait to start reading stuff involving the new 52.

The New 52 is full of good titles. Just depends on what you’re into.

1 Like

@BatmmmMango. Thank you, I love what you recommend about all those characters and The New Teen Titans. Like you said comics are really is a place for self-discovery. Like you said you should ask others to figure out what you want. Then add on from there which is something many people happen to forget to do.

@baseballmaniac01.45870. Thank you, I love all those characters and sorry for not mentioning my interest at first. Also, I have a couple of hours the week (about 5) to read and I would love to start with something I have some knowledge with so thanks again.

1 Like

Yeah, depends on your favorite characters. If your new, then yes, The New 52 will be great. They’re all good, but Justice League gives you the most bang for your buck. It has all the best characters. You can branch out from that to the characters who most interest you.

1 Like

Fazeel… Some other commentors are right. The New 52 is different. You may just want to go a few years back on your favorites. Batman has No Mans Land. Its a long long story arc though. But its fine for Superman. I like how Rebirth brought back the stuff we loved, but made it all go together with the New 52. Its all a little confusing. Lol… Have fun though! It’s all great.

2 Likes

Teen Titans is great both pre 52 and in the new 52.

1 Like

Teen Titans, Batman Brave & Bold, New Gods ‘71 depending on character I could tell u best ones on here to read to get in on ground floor but those have a lot of rare & mainstays. Batman & the outsiders would be good to prepare for YJ3 too. Make a thread with whatever characters you want to learn about & there’s plenty of people besides me that could tell u the best ones to familiarize yourself with them. That would be my best advice.

2 Likes

Batman (2011) - Court of Owls story arc.
The story arc is issues #1 - 7. Only 1-3 are on DCU, but check it out and you’ll consider buying the rest.
This is the first arc I read when I decided to get into comics. It hooked me.

Batman legends of the dark knight is awesome. 1st arc is a semi origin for Bruce with a twist. Superboy & the legion of Superheroes is great, Batman & the outsiders, all the year ones Huntress, Batgirl, Robin. Starfire 2015, Stars & S.T.R.I.P.E., New Gods ‘71, Batwoman 2011, Vixen year of the lion I believe that’s the name, Aquaman ‘94 just a few that are on here all the Catwomans are great too.

Batman the Court of owls