What Do You Like More in Comics, Art or Story?

What do you like more? The art of comics or the story? I know some people would say both, but sometimes i just like the artwork of the covers or certain artwork in the books more than then story. And sometimes i love the story but the art isnt as great and i focus less of it. But more for me i love the art of the story. Sometimes the art as a story in itself with the detail and time put in to it then i story put together by anyone. Id love to hear thoughts on this!

7 Likes

It’s like eating a delicious meal, then trying to answer what you liked more- the ingredients or the way they were prepared?

I’d say story, but you need beautiful art to help you tell that story. I’d say art, but without a skilled writer crafting a story that makes you care that art would just be a series of pin-ups.

10 Likes

Well, one doesn’t really exist without the other. I focus more on the art, but that’s because it’s a visual medium. The story takes place within a world created by the illustrator, so without good illustrations the story won’t be properly conveyed. On the flip side, nice art without a good story is a lot like a dry cake with good icing.

6 Likes

Depends on my mood. I’ve read really good stories with art I wasn’t crazy about. Most really good art I see, the stories lacked for me personally.

4 Likes

I lean more toward the written end of the comic spectrum.

5 Likes

If I like the art style I’d be interested in reading the story, if I don’t like the art style then I pretty much have no interest in the story. I’m probably am a picky person when it comes to comic books!

5 Likes

I don’t like it when art is the only redeeming quality to a comic. Early 90’s Image is what happens when you focus solely on art. It’s shiny, but there’s no substance.

6 Likes

The story. I’ve read and enjoyed comic with lousy art.

5 Likes

I just want to read and understand the story.

Often very stylized artwork interfers with the story.

I prefer artists like Wally Wood, Joe Staton, George Perez, John. Byrne Nicola Scott Jim. Aparo Neal Adams Curt Swan Joe Kubert Gil Kane Carmine Infantino

New Frontier was great too As is Amanda Conner

I still haven’t read the latest Martian Manhunter or Red Hood title because of the art.

8 Likes

For me, writing usually out-prioritizes the artwork.

It’s like a visual effects-heavy movie: all the whiz-bang visuals typically don’t mean diddly if there isn’t a good, well-written story (coupled with well-developed characters) for said visuals to adhere to.

In comics, the art is most impactful when it has a good (or better) story to cling to. Beautiful art that serves a bad story can still be enjoyed for its own artistic merits, but it is substantially more enjoyable when the writing is also entertaining.

7 Likes

Since comics are a visual medium, I must have good artwork to enjoy the story. I’m sure this insistence has cost me the experience of enjoying some fine comics; but if the art is–a totally subjective assessment on my part–sub-par, I will pass.

3 Likes

The story- art can take away from the experience but the story makes or breaks it.

3 Likes

For most of my long comic-reading life, I would have vehemently, passionately said “the story”, but as I have grown older, I find the distinction a lot less clear. When a comic book artist is doing their job at the optimal level, their work is the story. Far beyond their ability to recognizably render a person, an energy blast, or an automobile, lies their ability to make choices that don’t just look good, but to tell the story well.

Panel composition, shading, and perspective can be arranged in almost limitless ways when an artist is asked to draw a pair of characters having an argument. Some of those choices really sell the tone of the story and some do not. A good artist is not just good at drawing. They know how to draw in order to tell a story.

Now, if I really have to simplify it all and answer the question as asked, I would still say the story first, but that art damn well better be telling the same story, so my concern about the importance of the art is maybe a millimeter behind.

6 Likes

For me its story. I can get past art that might not be my favorite in favor of a great story.

4 Likes

I can tolerate some really bad art for good writing, but I have a hard time stomaching bad writing even if the art is great. For example, I love '90s Nightwing even though it’s possibly the ugliest series I’ve ever read (I already am not a fan of Scott McDaniel’s art, and a lot of the series has a really weird, washed-out color palette). And I’d much rather read that than, say, Batman: Year Two, which has some pretty cool art…

… But the writing is really awkward.

4 Likes

I’m definitely more of a story person, but if there are some styles of art I just can’t get behind. There was one issue of Midnighter (2015) at the beginning where the art was almost impressionistic, which is great in a painting, but not what I’m looking for in a comic (it might have been issue 2?). It was so distracting that I was scared I was going to have to drop the series but the art in all the following issues was great!

On the other hand, some more abstract styles can be enjoyable. I am liking Martian Manhunter (2018), even if I’m not super into the way they do Diane Meade’s hair lmao.

2 Likes

@StrangeScienceRaccoon

Welcome to the forum!

2 Likes

Since comics are such a visual medium…it is probably the art. The fact that the art also doubles as a form of storytelling makes it super important to me. I can drudge through some bad writing if the visuals are good but vice versa.

1 Like

The incomparable team of Denny O’Neill/Neal Adams were the comic medium’s equivalent of composer/lyricist.
Both the cover of Batman #232 and the Limited Collector’s Edition with the wrap-around cover draw you in before you have even pulled it off the rack at the comic book store in the 70’s.

2 Likes

I have to say I like the art more.

If the story is great but the art is awful it’s so distracting I can’t really enjoy the story. If the art is great and the story is awful, then at least I can still appreciate the artwork.

That having been said, I do think bad art is less common than bad writing.

1 Like