What comics should I start out on?

What are some comics I should start my reading out on? Any good series or books

As many answers are there are community members.

Avoid the heavy hitters (Superman, Batman Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, Doom Parol, Swamp Thing, Shazam & Young Justice.

Literally grab something else and dive in and see if you like it, if so delve deeper. Otherwise “lather, rinse, repeat”.

People connect to comics in so ,any different ways. Embrace something you don’t have preconceived ideas of.

2 Likes

If you’re looking for something that’s the most new-reader friendly, I’d probably look for any of the New 52 or Rebirth era books, as they were specifically made for new or lapsed readers. That said, @DeSade-acolyte isn’t entirely wrong either – if something looks cool to you, don’t be afraid to give it a shot. If you’re confused about something that the book doesn’t explain, you can ask about it here and we can answer.

1 Like

Thanks guys I’ll definitely use your suggestions!

Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo’s Court of the Owls is great. But yea, really, you should find either a charcter, writer, artist, or specific comic that you think you’d really like and just roll with it. If you’re on this app, you’ve already got a sweet selection to choose from, so if you don’t like something, just find something else :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My philosophy is that it’s better to learn the continuity and history than to hide from it, so I recommend Crisis on Infinite Earths. It’s a little dense and it’s beginning to show its age, but it’s still really good and introduces a ton of characters and concepts you can follow up on, depending on what catches your eye. Plus, George Perez’s art is beautiful.

Otherwise, just pick a character you like and look into their major story arcs. Obviously the big names have more than others, so you’ll have more choices there.

Or you can do what I did: read a bunch of wiki articles, pick a plot point that sounds interesting, and figure out where it came from. You’ll end up spoiling yourself on a lot of things, but at least it’s efficient.

I think the New 52 is a great place to start. I think its overall one of the best reboots in comics history Marvel or DC alike.

It has great runs like Batman by Scott Snyder and Gref Capullo which starts off with an instant classic in The Court of Owls.

Aquaman by Geoff Johns was great

Grant Morrisons Action Comics run was superb

Grayson by Tom King was a surprise fan favorite comic and it was absolutely phenomenal.

Besides Batman, in my opinion, the best New 52 comic was Wonder Woman by Brian Azzarello.

1 Like

@BatJamags
I’m with you on COIE, if you are a bit familiar with the DCU at all.

It’s kinda like architecture. First look around a see what building designs appeal, then rake a step back, take a breath and say “Ok, what really makes up a building regardless of its style.” The hi am immediately read COIE. :sunglasses:

The 52 Comic is a solid place to start because it’s a world without the trinity (batman, wonder woman, superman) so it forces you to really get to know some of the lesser known characters. it’s a really fun read. I agree starting with the trinity characters may not be the best so that’s definitely a great place I’d look to start. and then move on to N52 and Rebirth of any characters you like including the trinity.

2 Likes